The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Solid 16ga wire, why are you so elusive? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Solid 16ga wire, why are you so elusive?

I'm recapping a few vintage tube amps, and I need some 16ga solid core wire to go between some of the new components and the old stuff. I can't seem to find this stuff anywhere. Am I missing something?
Old 9th September 2011
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Romex?

Still not finding 16gauge solid. I did find a roll on Digikey, but it's 100ft. Would be nice to get a much smaller roll. I tried Home Depot but my local ones don't have 16gauge
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sometimes an Ace Hardware store will stock unusual wire sizes, sold by the foot.

Best,

Bri

PS, AFAIK, the smallest Romex gauge is 14.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Wire

I get my wire here. 22ga push-back wire, green; (heater wire is 18ga)
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianroth View Post
Sometimes an Ace Hardware store will stock unusual wire sizes, sold by the foot.

Best,

Bri

PS, AFAIK, the smallest Romex gauge is 14.

Well damn, the ACE up the street just closed with a huge sale. The owners had been there for like 30 years and decided to retire. Probably could have gotten a ton of wire if they had it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Vogel View Post
Wire

I get my wire here. 22ga push-back wire, green; (heater wire is 18ga)

Will 22 or 18 gauge work alright for high voltages in the amps? I wanted 16 because it looks like that's what's in there (and also what a great tech I know uses). But if 18 or 22 will work that makes life so much easier.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

won't be pretty, but you could peel the jacket and braid off some RG coax - or strip it bare and heat shrink it.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

so use 14. It is common, and a little grinding at the ends with a sharp pair of pilers or a piece of sandpaper/emery cloth will make it fit into the smaller receptacles.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Addict

Not go all engineer on you...but...

Figure it out based on voltage, current and resistance in the circuit.
http://www.stealth316.com/2-wire-resistance.htm

The chart also shows resistance of various wire sizes per unit length.

There are other wire calculators and charts on the interwebs, this one happens to be the first one in found.

I'll bet if you check, you'll find you can stop looking for 16ga and use something else. In general, especially with the higher voltages and lower currents in tube circuits, smaller wire gages are fine.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torea View Post
Will 22 or 18 gauge work alright for high voltages in the amps? I wanted 16 because it looks like that's what's in there (and also what a great tech I know uses). But if 18 or 22 will work that makes life so much easier.
The voltage rating is not a function of gauge, current capacity affects gauge. Since it's a tube amp look for wire rated 600V or higher. The gauge will be determined by how much current is needed. In general 18 is fine for heater connections and other high current (like transformer to speaker jack, mains, etc), while 20 or 22 will work for other general low current wiring. BUT you need to tell us what specifically is being connected to get an accurate answer.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hmm, being a wire professional as I work with wire every day (okay , I might be pushing the envelope a bit) I noted one thing that you wrote which could be the problem (assuming you are searching the internet)
you wrote 16ag
it is 16awg, at least that's how it's catalogued on Mouser and Newark.
Do you not also have an electronic store near you?

cheers

btw: I recommend PTFE (teflon) coated wire, it resistos high temperatures, therefore does not melt when you solder the wire with your iron. I love the stuff so much I ordered some for myself. (www.wiremasters.net)
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
The voltage rating is not a function of gauge, current capacity affects gauge. Since it's a tube amp look for wire rated 600V or higher. The gauge will be determined by how much current is needed. In general 18 is fine for heater connections and other high current (like transformer to speaker jack, mains, etc), while 20 or 22 will work for other general low current wiring. BUT you need to tell us what specifically is being connected to get an accurate answer.

Ah, ok. I'm still a bit new to all this so I keep getting myself turned around. Someone had recommended 16 to me, and because it's what's already in there, I figured it might be necessary for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2N1305 View Post
Hmm, being a wire professional as I work with wire every day (okay , I might be pushing the envelope a bit) I noted one thing that you wrote which could be the problem (assuming you are searching the internet)
you wrote 16ag
it is 16awg, at least that's how it's catalogued on Mouser and Newark.
Do you not also have an electronic store near you?

cheers

btw: I recommend PTFE (teflon) coated wire, it resistos high temperatures, therefore does not melt when you solder the wire with your iron. I love the stuff so much I ordered some for myself. (www.wiremasters.net)

I wrote 16ga, as in gauge. Also tried "AWG", but that didn't help as much either.

I dropped by a local Ace hardware and they have lots of different wire. I didn't have time to sift through their reels but the guy said they should have some 16 gauge, should I need it. Thanks for the help everyone
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wrote 16ga, as in gauge. Also tried "AWG", but that didn't help as much either.
Indeed you did, sorry, I sometimes invert words/letters!

Quote:
I dropped by a local Ace hardware and they have lots of different wire. I didn't have time to sift through their reels but the guy said they should have some 16 gauge, should I need it. Thanks for the help everyone
you're welcome!
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Indeed you did, sorry, I sometimes invert words/letters!

Haha same. My dad and I are terrible at planning out builds and cuts because neither of us can get the numbers right.
-Ok, so the cut needs to be 6" in, 4 down, and 3/16"?
-No, it's 6" down, 3" in, and 5/16!
-Ok, we'll measure again... ok, 7" down, 2.5" in, and 1/4"...

heh
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

wire

Quote:
I dropped by a local Ace hardware and they have lots of different wire. I didn't have time to sift through their reels but the guy said they should have some 16 gauge, should I need it.
The Ace wire may not have the voltage rating for B+ use in tube gear. You will want at least a 600V rating. J
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeng View Post
The Ace wire may not have the voltage rating for B+ use in tube gear. You will want at least a 600V rating. J

I'm always sure to check
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeng View Post
'eyea, roight 'e is, mind you, if the voltage is under 300V, then I guess it'd be okay..
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha same. My dad and I are terrible at planning out builds and cuts because neither of us can get the numbers right.
-Ok, so the cut needs to be 6" in, 4 down, and 3/16"?
-No, it's 6" down, 3" in, and 5/16!
-Ok, we'll measure again... ok, 7" down, 2.5" in, and 1/4"...

heh
ha ha! I did that today cutting a gib piece of plywood. I was sure I'd memorised the numbers, so I go to the backyard whee the lumber is, repeating the numbers to myself, measure the whole thing, cut it, then bring it back into the garage and voilà! The piece was too narrow by 5 inches..

D'Oh indeed.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
cutting a gib piece of plywood.

SEE!? I JUST DID IT AGAIN! dammit
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
ha ha! I did that today cutting a gib piece of plywood. I was sure I'd memorised the numbers, so I go to the backyard whee the lumber is, repeating the numbers to myself, measure the whole thing, cut it, then bring it back into the garage and voilà! The piece was too narrow by 5 inches..

D'Oh indeed.
I gave the shop guys tape measures with digital voice recorders built into them one Christmas to prevent just such occurrences.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I gave the shop guys tape measures with digital voice recorders built into them one Christmas to prevent just such occurrences.

That's a great idea... but I'd still say the wrong numbers in and have to remeasure.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search