The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
home video question
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

home video question

Okay, maybe wrong place for this, if so, delete the post.

I have an older plazma TV without a tuner. I use an older DVD recorder as the tuner. Since the conversion to digital, that TV will not get the "100" series channels, or any "nn.n" channels. My newer flat screens with internal tuners read the "100" numbered channels and the sub-channels (13.1, 13.2, etc.)

What do I need to receive these channels that I get on my newer TVs? Any informational resources?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

An older-model tuner will be analog, and won't "see" any of the new digi channels without a converter ahead of the old tuner. But, it sounds as if your old tuner is picking up "something"? In some areas of the country, some stations are simulcasting on both analog and digital.

Also, the n.n channels are strictly digital.

This site has some info, and googling DTV has many other sites:

TV Fool

Best,

Bri
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Brian,

The monitor has no tuner, just multiple video inputs. I don't expect to keep the DVD recorder which I'm using as a tuner, I don't really record any DVDs. Clearly it does decode a limited bandwidth of the digital channels as there are no analog channels on my cable system. But the DVD recorder is likely too old to be up to the modern standard. I figure that I need some sort of tuner box, I just don't know what sort. It is also possible to drop a tuner card into an old computer, or a tuner gizmo hooked to an old laptop.... I'm just totally ignorant of the possibilities. Thanks for the links, I'll check them out now.

Bill
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ahhhh.....cable feed; I was thinking "over the air" signals with an antenna, hence the link I posted.

Here in OKC, Cox Cable's feed has both analog and digital signals coming down the wire. You can connect the cable directly to an older analog-only tuner and view a subset of what is available with the cable converter box. I need to do a test to refresh my memory of which channels are still sent by Cox as analog.

Bri
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Brian,

I don't claim to know anything about broadcast TV or cable. If I have it right, it is the low def channels below 100.

My newer flat screens with built in tuners decode all the channels that they should.... nothing scrambled.

My older flat screen sans tuner needs a 'front end'. So I'm using an old DVD recorder not smart enough to handle channels over 100. Replacing the DVD recorder is the goal, the method depends upon what makes most sense.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Bill, my curiosity got to me <g>, so I just did a test with the Cox Cable signals here in OKC. I plugged the coax directly into an old analog TV set and sure enough, most all channels 3-66 could be seen as an analog signal without the set-top box. Those channels here are the "basics" (locals, various national news channels, Weather channel, USA, MTV, Bravo, etc).

I also refreshed my memory re. cable channels with these references:

Cable-ready - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

QAM (television) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, it seems your "other" sets have a QAM tuner built-in. I didn't find any stand-alone QAM tuners after a quick check on the 'net, but they may exist. QAM tuners seem to be built-in to the televisions, or in outboard DVD, etc. units.

As the wiki references mention, different cable systems use different protocols, so what may work in one locale may not work in another.

Best,

Bri
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks,
I was finding QAM info as well, and the issue of non-portability. I know that Panasonic made a tuner card for this monitor, maybe I should just try to find one. But it would be nice to get the rest of the channels for which I pay, that do not show up under 100.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search