The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Could someone explain to me the signal path of a solo switch?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

Could someone explain to me the signal path of a solo switch?

I don't get what happens when a solo button is pressed on a console in terms of the information flow? How can dozens of other signals or channels be muted at the same time just by pressing a single switch? Or is it actually a second stereo bus for such purposes, that is also connected with the main outs?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

It's often the latter. It's then possible to choose which outputs the solo bus uses. IE, headphones, so at a live show, if you need to solo a channel you can do it without messing up the FOH.

There's also solo in place which does mute the main outputs and post fader sends of every other channel, which is more of a studio application, so you can still hear it's aux returns without other channels feeding into them.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Look at it as a global mute that excludes the channels being solo'd. That's the way a lot of consoles are wired, particularly those with "Solo in Place".
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

On my Mackie CFX12 it's the latter.

Check out the block diagram on page 22

http://www.mackie.com/pdf/cfx_om.pdf

Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks a million guys

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search