The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hairball Audio 1176 compressors Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 7th September 2011
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
Bob G's Avatar
 

Hairball Audio 1176 compressors

Although these are kits that you can buy and assemble if you have electonics engineering skills,

http://hairballaudio.com/shop/index....98db0529001fb6

I have seen that there are people building the kits and selling the finished units. For example, there are two people selling completed Hairball 1176 compressors on ebay for the buy it now price of $850 USD.


Who are the most reputable people selling finished units who are doing the best job and making the final product sound as close to an original Blue Stripe Revision A or Blackface Revision D?

I'm not and audio electronics engineer so I am just looking to buy one that will be put together the best possible way. I know that Hairball has done some revisions to make their parts list more accurate so the right person will build one for me now using the current parts list and properly calibrate the unit to original specs.

Thanks for any information you can share.
Old 7th September 2011
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
Stéphane's Avatar
Interested too.
Old 7th September 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Telefunk's Avatar
 

I have one Mnats rev.D 1176 with Ed Andersson trafos etc from Hairball and i have to say it's better then the UA replica. As close to UREI as it gets.
Old 7th September 2011
  #4
Gear Addict
 
StratSvante's Avatar
 

Very satisfied with mine, lots of character but not noisy or too distorted, unless i want it to be.
Old 7th September 2011
  #5
Gear Nut
 
Adkins's Avatar
You may want to check also THIS thread.
Old 7th September 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
beau_mckee's Avatar
Mohog 1176 are meant to be a main contender in the gearslutz forums
Old 7th September 2011
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
Bob G's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratSvante View Post
Very satisfied with mine, lots of character but not noisy or too distorted, unless i want it to be.
Cool, which version do you have? The A revision or the D or a mixture?

Did you build it yourself or hire someone to build it for you?

Did you run into any troubles with building

What tools/equipment are required to properly calibrate them after the build?
Old 7th September 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Telefunk's Avatar
 

If I were you I´d go for the rev.D with Ed Andersson trafos. I also have rev. F with OEP trafos which is also really nice but rev.D + EA is outstanding. Purple is also great, if you can find them (It's VERY similar to the MNATS rev.D)
Old 7th September 2011
  #9
For an experienced person it's not a difficult build and any competent person should be able to do a good job on it. I'm NOT an experienced person and it was a good bit of work for me, the most of any of my DIY projects so far, but my Rev D is great and it's one of the most used pieces in my rack. Mine is the same as above. I use it for tracking a lot.
Old 8th September 2011
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
Bob G's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
For an experienced person it's not a difficult build and any competent person should be able to do a good job on it. I'm NOT an experienced person and it was a good bit of work for me, the most of any of my DIY projects so far, but my Rev D is great and it's one of the most used pieces in my rack. Mine is the same as above. I use it for tracking a lot.
Thanks a lot for the replies. What makes the D better than the A for you?

Or have you not made an A before to hear the difference.

A lot of people consider the version A Blue Stripe to be the pinnacle of 1176's.

I've heard the real Urei Blue Stripe side by side with blackface 1176's an the blue stripe killed the others in all ways and on everything. Way more tone and character on the Urei ones anyway. Not sure about how these Hairball Audio versions compare to the original Urei models. I wonder if the Hairball revision A will have the same sound character as the original Urei's?
Old 8th September 2011
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
Bob G's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunk View Post
If I were you I´d go for the rev.D with Ed Andersson trafos. I also have rev. F with OEP trafos which is also really nice but rev.D + EA is outstanding. Purple is also great, if you can find them (It's VERY similar to the MNATS rev.D)

Thanks. What do you mean by rev. D + EA ????
Old 8th September 2011
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
Thanks a lot for the replies. What makes the D better than the A for you?

Or have you not made an A before to hear the difference.
Oh, I wasn't claiming it to be better than another model, just that's very good in and of itself.

Quote:
A lot of people consider the version A Blue Stripe to be the pinnacle of 1176's.
But, wouldn't any such box be very old by now? You wouldn't expect a new box, even if made with the same components (if they are even still available), to sound like that necessarily. Everything in it will have aged.
Old 8th September 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Marcocet's Avatar
I've built 2 Mnats rev D's and 1 rev A. They sound fantastic, and the hairball kits make all the hard parts easy to source. I wouldn't use the mouser cart links though, I think they may be out of date... It's easy enough to make your own cart anyway, and then you can make some active decisions about the component choice.
Old 8th September 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Telefunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
Thanks. What do you mean by rev. D + EA ????
Mnats rev.D with Ed Andersson transformers (sold by Hairball).
Old 8th September 2011
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
Stéphane's Avatar
Pics of your finished clones?
Old 8th September 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Telefunk's Avatar
 

You can find all info & pics here: http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index.php?topic=20058.0
That's the mnats 1176 rev.D info thread.
Old 8th September 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
 
beau_mckee's Avatar
I received an email from gearslut store advertising their new kenetek audio 1176, and one model is only $1200. Probably worth looking in to, but I can't seem to find any reviews or opinions on these units so far, but would also be interested just as much as you slutterz
Old 8th September 2011
  #18
Gear Maniac
 
Bob G's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
I received an email from gearslut store advertising their new kenetek audio 1176, and one model is only $1200. Probably worth looking in to, but I can't seem to find any reviews or opinions on these units so far, but would also be interested just as much as you slutterz
Yeah, those look really cool.

The Kenetek 1176LN

They do not offer the revision A though and that's the one to have for me!
Old 8th September 2011
  #19
Lives for gear
 
dandeurloo's Avatar
I'm building a stereo Rev. D now. Once that's done I will be doing a stereo Rev A as well. I can't wait to put these in the rack!
Old 8th September 2011
  #20
Gear Maniac
 
Bob G's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
I'm building a stereo Rev. D now. Once that's done I will be doing a stereo Rev A as well. I can't wait to put these in the rack!
Cool man! Hey...let us know how they turn out and which one you like better!

Are you using the A MNATS board in the A build?

I've heard some people use the D board in the A build for a less aggressive action.

I also wonder if the A and the d have the same signal to noise ratio or if one is noisier than the other?

Someone is eventually going to come along and start building these to sell as complete. It's just too popular a thing for many many people to assemble on their own.
Old 8th September 2011
  #21
I think you may be over-obsessing about something that ultimately you couldn't pick out in a blind test. Not that that would make you particularly different from most Gearslutz, but I'm just sayin.
Old 8th September 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Telefunk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
Cool man! Hey...let us know how they turn out and which one you like better!

Are you using the A MNATS board in the A build?

I've heard some people use the D board in the A build for a less aggressive action.

I also wonder if the A and the d have the same signal to noise ratio or if one is noisier than the other?

Someone is eventually going to come along and start building these to sell as complete. It's just too popular a thing for many many people to assemble on their own.
If you count all the time and costs it takes to finish one, that 1200$ for the Kenetek is not a bad price att all. and it's probably really great.

You can't build A with D board. It's different topology altogether.

A is a bit noisier but dont worry about it unless you're mixing classical or something like that.
Old 8th September 2011
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Marcocet's Avatar
Yep, the D was the "LN" version for Low Noise.
Old 8th September 2011
  #24
Gear Maniac
 
Bob G's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
I think you may be over-obsessing about something that ultimately you couldn't pick out in a blind test. Not that that would make you particularly different from most Gearslutz, but I'm just sayin.
Haha!

if you have the chance to compare a blue stripe revision A to a revision D blackface, you would know that they sound very different.
Old 8th September 2011
  #25
Gear Maniac
 
Bob G's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefunk View Post
If you count all the time and costs it takes to finish one, that 1200$ for the Kenetek is not a bad price att all. and it's probably really great.

You can't build A with D board. It's different topology altogether.

A is a bit noisier but dont worry about it unless you're mixing classical or something like that.
Thanks! Anyone out there with testimony on the Kenetek?

Is the Kenetek company associated to Gearslutz? Or is the name Gearslut on their site just confusing me? Who is behind the Kenetek company? Where are they located? There is no information on them on the site.
Old 9th September 2011
  #26
Gear Head
 
_cake's Avatar
 

I built a rev A for under $500 (parts) and it sounds fantastic. So much so that i am going to build a few more and try a few of the other versions (there also LA2A i want to build!).

The biggest time user in this is sourcing all the parts.

If you some time on your hands (and hour here and there) build it yourself - there is a lot of help on the diy forum link above for trouble-shooting and callibrating - and it's much more enjoyable! Plus if a problem arrises down the track you will be in a better position to fix it yourself, ie unit downtime of hours, not days or weeks.

If you aren't too crash hot with diy electronics, buy a couple cheap diy kits from an electronics store to build your skills!
Old 9th September 2011
  #27
Gear Maniac
 
Bob G's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cake View Post
I built a rev A for under $500 (parts) and it sounds fantastic. So much so that i am going to build a few more and try a few of the other versions (there also LA2A i want to build!).

The biggest time user in this is sourcing all the parts.

If you some time on your hands (and hour here and there) build it yourself - there is a lot of help on the diy forum link above for trouble-shooting and callibrating - and it's much more enjoyable! Plus if a problem arrises down the track you will be in a better position to fix it yourself, ie unit downtime of hours, not days or weeks.

If you aren't too crash hot with diy electronics, buy a couple cheap diy kits from an electronics store to build your skills!
I love your optimism and it probably is fun to learn but I truly just want to make music and have this tool to make it a better experience for myself!
Old 9th September 2011
  #28
Lives for gear
 
MicDaddy's Avatar
 

Building these units is child's play for those that know their way around a soldering iron/DMM/O-scope. I've built a pair of Rev A and absolutely love them.


Attached Thumbnails
Hairball Audio 1176 compressors-maxatthecontrols.jpg  
Old 9th September 2011
  #29
Lives for gear
 
dandeurloo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
Thanks! Anyone out there with testimony on the Kenetek?

Is the Kenetek company associated to Gearslutz? Or is the name Gearslut on their site just confusing me? Who is behind the Kenetek company? Where are they located? There is no information on them on the site.

Brown Bannister who they have on their site as an endorser is a friend of mine and I will be working with him a bunch in October. I can ask him what he thinks. Brown has great ears and would know if it sounds good. Although last time I was at his studio he didn't have one but that could have easily changed.
Old 9th September 2011
  #30
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
Although these are kits that you can buy and assemble if you have electonics engineering skills,

Hairball Audio

I have seen that there are people building the kits and selling the finished units. For example, there are two people selling completed Hairball 1176 compressors on ebay for the buy it now price of $850 USD.


Who are the most reputable people selling finished units who are doing the best job and making the final product sound as close to an original Blue Stripe Revision A or Blackface Revision D?

I'm not and audio electronics engineer so I am just looking to buy one that will be put together the best possible way. I know that Hairball has done some revisions to make their parts list more accurate so the right person will build one for me now using the current parts list and properly calibrate the unit to original specs.

Thanks for any information you can share.
Not a bad deal. Total parts cost is $500usd.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump