The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hairball Audio 1176 compressors Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

You should be able to get by just fine with only a DMM.

The Lola looks very promising unfortunately $ is tight.

Sent from my Droid using Gearslutz App
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Maniac

Hey guys, I just found out Hariball Audio and I'm dying to try this out. It'll be my first attempt so planning to work with experienced friend of mine. So regarding parts sourcing, I need to buy FET compressor bundle kit with MNAT PCB and just buy other parts from provided Mouser cart link right? Is it safe to just buy it like that or should I reset and add individually from BOM list?
Also, I see that there is a stereo compressor kit. How much it did cost you guys to build the stereo version?

Last edited by idmmer417; 13th September 2012 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: grammer
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

Do more research into the stereo support thread, I'm not certain but I think there were some 'issues?' some were having. Best to familiarize yourself with problems others might have ran into/resolved. Hairball Audio: 1176 Stereo Linking PCBs Support Thread

Correct:
I used the Hairball provided 'mouser cart' twice. The first time there were some extra parts but I wasn't short any. The second time I deleted the duplicate parts. Best idea is to correlate the 'mouser cart' with the BOM or schematic systematically checking off and verifying you will receive everything and that all is correct.
Old 8th October 2012
Great thread. I just ordered my first F revision kit based on the vibe here. Thanks so much to all who have contributed here. Amazing people.

Cheers.

Oscar
Old 9th October 2012
sms
Here for the gear

i just got the REV A kit and mouser parts in front of me, waiting for pcbs to show up to start. damn its a lot more parts than i was thinking... looks like 5 or so nights of fun
Old 10th October 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterminds View Post
Great thread. I just ordered my first F revision kit based on the vibe here. Thanks so much to all who have contributed here. Amazing people.

Cheers.

Oscar
Congrats, Oscar... after skimming this thread you are the first Rev. F builder I think I saw (though my search wasn't thorough).

I have always found it interesting that the buzz is about Rev. A and D, but not the later, non-class-A output versions. I'm a tone nut, but I must say I actually prefer the Rev. F 1176's to the earlier versions. The class-A versions (in spite of being 'class-A', which I realize is a buzz word) are crunchier and aggressive, though more sluggish in response (not talking the compression character here, but the signal path itself) when compared to the PP output versions.

I find the tone of the Rev. F to still benefit from the I/O iron, but the signal path is smoother and punchier (still hate that word, but it works) and just more lively and dynamic to my ear. A better line-level processor to me. While i think I could appreciate the class-A revisions' sound for mic preamps, I like my line level gear to have tone, but be more broadly complimentary, and despite claims earlier in this thread that the Rev. A sounds best on everything, I simply do not agree -- the color is too strong and so benefits many things greatly, and not so much on many other sources.

I wonder how much of the praise for the A and D come from all the talk about the A and D rather than actual experience with the various revisions?

And please understand, I'm not intending to pick a fight or make accusations against anyone in this thread.... I'm just think all the talk about the A and D is robbing people of the wonderful, but less publicly praised Rev. F, and I think it's a shame (given that, to me, it is the nicest sounding revision). I'm hoping more people give the Rev. F a shot... It's lovely!

And, FWIW, I do not prefer the even later Rev. G with its electronically-balanced input -- doesn't suck, but just not as tonally interesting... not as nice as the Rev. F, and can't handle the insanely hot input levels the earlier attenuator-equipped revisions can.

Just food for thought (as if the water wasn't muddy already )
Old 2nd December 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson_p View Post
has anybody tried out the Lola mic pre...if so what do you think of it?
I have a pair of them. The Hairball Audio Lola is my favorite preamp ever. Period. I was so impressed with the first kit I bought I had to get another one right away. As soon as I can afford to get a few more of them I definately will. It's a very straightforward kit to build too but if you're not into building them yourself Mike sells finished ones at a very reasonable price.

For those of you who might be skeptical whether DIY gear in general sounds as good as the "real thing"... My lunchbox used to consist of Avedis MA5s, Api512c, A-designs EM silver, and OSAs. My Lunchbox is now filled with 2 Lolas, and 4 Classic API VP312s and I couldn't be happier with the sound. It's so killer. (I highly recommend classic api too by the way, amazing stuff!)

As far as the 1176 kits go, I've got the rev A and the rev F. The A is a bit dirtier. Both amazing.
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Maniac

So dudes I've got my Rev. A together and powered up. All is well in that respect. I cant quite figure out how to calibrate it. I've watched the videos a million times and gone right along with them, but I cant seem to replicate the results.

can anyone give me any pointers?
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear
hi,

long time diy forum lurker

just 1 question:

anyone ever builded some kind of transformer-matrix (in and out) like the shmc provides ?

thx in advance
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearecreative View Post
So dudes I've got my Rev. A together and powered up. All is well in that respect. I cant quite figure out how to calibrate it. I've watched the videos a million times and gone right along with them, but I cant seem to replicate the results.

can anyone give me any pointers?
Welcome to DIY - sometimes you can nail an ultra complex project without a fuss, yet something quite simple like a 1176 build can have you scratching your head for weeks.

I'd say you really need to hit up the GroupDIY forum. Plenty of guru's there. They have an 80+ page thread dedicated to the Hairball/Mnats 1176 Rev A build process, and every contributor is willing to help where they can. I too am having problems calibrating my Rev D Hairball/Mnats 1176 (meter issues), but 'Hairball' himself (Echo North) is very keen to help me troubleshoot for a victory - just check the latest posts in the Rev D thread.

If you're following a proven build as you are, the solution is always a simple oversight/error/component issue - you just need someone of greater experience to guide you through the process of elimination... just like me.
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

bump - so I can search this thread!
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

"FET comps that I have used tend to be fast and aggressive. Which isn't always welcome, but always seems to have a place. If you're asking how good a FET serves as a gain control element, than I say probably not that great. They need input attenuation and a good chunk of makeup gain. Maybe not the most efficient setup from a design perspective. Like a gal with fantastic breasts and a good looking face, coupled with hefty emotional needs and bad breath. Maybe a bit much to deal with for some boobs, but maybe you really like boobs."

From user MikoKensington on this thread on GroupDIY Fet Compressors
Old 8th July 2013
Hairball Audio mnats 1176

Pull the trigger, and build the thing. I did they sound great. Here's a couple of pictures of mine. There is plenty of information on the web to help you build it. The search engine is your friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Hairball Audio 1176 compressors-img_0358.jpg   Hairball Audio 1176 compressors-img_0359.jpg   Hairball Audio 1176 compressors-img_0360.jpg   Hairball Audio 1176 compressors-img_0363.jpg  
Old 8th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Baird View Post
Pull the trigger, and build the thing. I did they sound great. Here's a couple of pictures of mine. There is plenty of information on the web to help you build it. The search engine is your friend.
How come you sold it?

Sent from my slutzapp.
Old 8th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Breaux View Post
I was looking at building one of the hairball rev A's for fun. This is a good thread.

Can anyone post a shootout of a mc77 and a hairball rev A????????? That would be awesome. Or if somebody has a real blue stripe vs. hairball rev A??

It would be really awesome if we could hear a comparison.

Thanks!!!!
Im tossing up between a stereo rev A - which has the 1108 mic preamp in it also. Nigel Godrich said he heard the hairball rev a and it was indistinguishable from his original black face. This is the type of project if you wanna start DIY apart from a preamp, I would begin. Its so well documented - I believe it's about $500 a Chanel. Would someone be able to chime in on prices?
Old 8th July 2013
I sold the unit because I not tracking right now, and want to build a stereo version, so I needed to get some experience with the circuit before the bigger build. The 1176 is just a classic.
Old 8th July 2013
You can build one for about $500.00 total investment. Kit $390.00, boards $28.00, & parts $80.00. The hook wire, Digital multimeter, Solder gun and other tools will be extra coin.
Old 8th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Mine rang in right around $500 in the parts alone. I probably spent couple hundred more on tools needed... A better soldering iron, the proper solder, a decent amount of various colors of tinned hookup wire, heat gun for wire insulation, etc.

I planned for calibrating my unit by building a diy function generator. It was good practice and was an indispensable tool for calibrating the q-bias and all. Maybe $750 total for everything Used to get my rev. A together and operational.

Not sure if it is normal but mine runs through fuses somewhat quickly (1/month-ish) so i bought a few years worth (i hope) of fuses.
Old 8th July 2013
I just bought 2 colors of hook wire and bought multicolor electrical tape to color code. It is a good way to save money.
Old 8th July 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearecreative View Post
Mine rang in right around $500 in the parts alone. I probably spent couple hundred more on tools needed... A better soldering iron, the proper solder, a decent amount of various colors of tinned hookup wire, heat gun for wire insulation, etc.

I planned for calibrating my unit by building a diy function generator. It was good practice and was an indispensable tool for calibrating the q-bias and all. Maybe $750 total for everything Used to get my rev. A together and operational.

Not sure if it is normal but mine runs through fuses somewhat quickly (1/month-ish) so i bought a few years worth (i hope) of fuses.
That's odd about the fuses. Had my mnats/hairball rev a going for over a year with no fuse blowing. Might have an issue there.

Cheers
Dave
Old 8th July 2013
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdstudio View Post
That's odd about the fuses. Had my mnats/hairball rev a going for over a year with no fuse blowing. Might have an issue there.

Cheers
Dave

Definitely a problem - might just need a higher rating fuse..

Gustav
Old 8th July 2013
Gear Head

I just finished a Rev D about 2 weeks ago. Ordered everything from Hairball/MNats. Everything went without a hitch.

I would also recommend ordering the matched 2N5457 FETs. You can build a board for matching them and go through a bunch of FETs trying to get a matched pair but I think it's worth it to just buy them.

I've built a Drip EQP1-A, a few SCA N72s, and a nearly completed SSL Buss Comp. The Hairabll unit is no easier or harder then any of them. Stuffing the boards is the easy part. Making sure the wiring is correct (and neat) is the hardest part. I didn't use the right wire to start with so I have to go back and redo a few spots. Just follow the instructions.

Sound really nice on a kick!
Old 8th July 2013
Gear Addict

Here is a time-lapse vid i did of a Rev D.

Hope it helps those of you on the fence.

jB
Old 8th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Baird View Post
Bobby that really is lovely. I've been considering building one for myself for a long while. I,m a few miles south of ya in San Antonio. I'd gladly buy you however many beers it takes for you to give me some pointers...
Old 8th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Okay I'm all in. Just ordering my kit.... You guys knocked me off the fence. Wish me luck... they're back ordered but I can't wait.

Last edited by EngineerTHIS; 8th July 2013 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: Meh
Old 8th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason baliban View Post
Here is a time-lapse vid i did of a Rev D.

Hope it helps those of you on the fence.

jB
Awesome, awesome video, makes me wants to at least try...somehow, Im still just not drawn to a soldering gun in that way, I for some reason just still have no interest in using a soldering gun outside of making cables from time to time. I'm not setup for it, and the last time I put some cables together, I ended up burning the top part of my desk and now it permanently looks like someone set off a small firecracker on my desk. I'd rather buy everything and give someone cash and say...put it together please...lol...
Old 8th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
Awesome, awesome video, makes me wants to at least try...somehow, Im still just not drawn to a soldering gun in that way, I for some reason just still have no interest in using a soldering gun outside of making cables from time to time. I'm not setup for it, and the last time I put some cables together, I ended up burning the top part of my desk and now it permanently looks like someone set off a small firecracker on my desk. I'd rather buy everything and give someone cash and say...put it together please...lol...
I feel similarly. I'm very interested in the low price of buying a kit and doing it myself, but sadly, I don't have the right space/lighting to do something like this.
Old 8th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoutu1 View Post
I feel similarly. I'm very interested in the low price of buying a kit and doing it myself, but sadly, I don't have the right space/lighting to do something like this.
I probably have enough space in my live room to set something up, but it would soooo take away from the purpose of the live room...it would take away vibe and feel from the room...maybe a corner in my bedroom...but my gf would kill me if I did that to our little lair...I just can't...
Old 28th July 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerTHIS View Post
Okay I'm all in. Just ordering my kit.... You guys knocked me off the fence. Wish me luck... they're back ordered but I can't wait.
Nice!
Enjoy the build.

What rev you go for?
Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear

FWIW I had the same issue with the 1/4A fuses going out on power up. It's been noted and discussed over at groupdiy by a handful of users. I bumped to 500mA and haven't popped one since.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search