The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hairball Audio 1176 compressors Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stéphane View Post
As a beginner on a 1176 kit, which good soldering iron station would you recommend me to buy guys?
Any serious brands?
Thanks.
You cannot go wrong with a Hakko 936 and a 599b
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Also, Weller makes a good iron as well.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Cool,
thanks guys.
Old 6th November 2011
Lives for gear

Anyone have experience with the Hairball stereo 1176 units?
Old 6th November 2011
Lives for gear

Hakko 936. check amazon and ebay. pretty cheap.

looks like the stereo units are just two mono's with a stereo link module... Don't think it''s quite the same as a 1178, more like a 2-1176. pure speculation
Old 6th November 2011
Lives for gear

I was looking at building one of the hairball rev A's for fun. This is a good thread.

Can anyone post a shootout of a mc77 and a hairball rev A????????? That would be awesome. Or if somebody has a real blue stripe vs. hairball rev A??

It would be really awesome if we could hear a comparison.

Thanks!!!!
Old 18th November 2011
Gear Maniac

Interrested too!
Old 18th November 2011
Gear Nut

Rev A and Rev D Comparisons

I recently finished building a few Rev A and Rev D clones. I made a video comparing the two revisions. I used audio directly recorded from the DAW instead of the camera audio. I think the difference between the two revisions is very noticeable, but they both sound sweet.

SZR76 Comparison - UREI 1176 Clones (HD) - YouTube

I'm also in the process of selling the completed Rev A and Rev D compressors. Probably shouldn't go into too much detail since this probably isn't the right forum for it. PM if you're interested.

Last edited by subzero; 22nd November 2011 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Added link to HD video
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

Did you use the standard hairball and mouser kits or did you swap out parts?
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero View Post
I recently finished building a few Rev A and Rev D clones. I made a video comparing the two revisions. I used audio directly recorded from the DAW instead of the camera audio. I think the difference between the two revisions is very noticeable, but they both sound sweet.

SZR76 Comparison - UREI 1176 Clones - YouTube

I'm also in the process of selling the completed Rev A and Rev D compressors. Probably shouldn't go into too much detail since this probably isn't the right forum for it. PM if you're interested.
Great! Only available in 360p though?

Got a Bluestripe build going on. Agonised over the decision between the two
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post

you're gonna love it!!
Old 19th November 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicDaddy View Post
You cannot go wrong with a Hakko 936 and a 599b
These rebranded 936s are a great deal.

Madell QK936A

Hairball Audio 1176 compressorseBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Old 21st November 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
Did you use the standard hairball and mouser kits or did you swap out parts?
For the most part yes. Used 100% of the Hairball kits. I believe the only change I made to the Mouser parts list was the attack caps. The WIMA caps listed meant for PCB mounting. I switched the with Orange Drop caps.
Old 21st November 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Great! Only available in 360p though?

Sorry man. I recorded the video in HD (Sony .m2ts format) but I can't figure out a (free) way to convert the file to MPEG2, so I can use it in my video editing program (TrakAxPC).
Old 21st November 2011
Gear Nut

For those of you interested, I've put up 44.1kHz, 24bit WAV files of each sample in the video I posted.

1176 Clone Samples
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks man. I gave the video a good listen, and to me, the difference is really quite minimal, both sound like good 1176's. I think that instead of building a Rev D after the 1176, i'll plop for an LA2A instead.

Cheers!
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

on these audio files, I thought the A had less compression and a fuller sound on the acoustic guitar. preferred that one- but it could be due to the amount of compression
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks man. I gave the video a good listen, and to me, the difference is really quite minimal, both sound like good 1176's. I think that instead of building a Rev D after the 1176, i'll plop for an LA2A instead.
To me, on some sources there is a very subtle difference, on others it's a little more apparent. For instance, I recently mixed a project using both Rev clones. I used the Rev A extensively on the kick drum and in places on the vocals. I preferred the Rev D on the snare. I even compared the Rev A clone to the UAD 1176LN plug-in on the snare, I preferred the plug-in over the Rev A hardware. My grand plan is to make two stereo linked 1176 clones, for my personal studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrovolt
on these audio files, I thought the A had less compression and a fuller sound on the acoustic guitar. preferred that one- but it could be due to the amount of compression
Very well could be. I did try to keep the compression roughly the same between the two compressors. Of course, comparing two different VU meters can only be so accurate.

And for those of you who care, I uploaded an HD version of the video to YouTube.

SZR76 Comparison - UREI 1176 Clones (HD) - YouTube
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

I own a Hairball 1176 Rev A someone built and sold on eBay. It is completely awesome. I'm very happy with it. My favorite comp before this was an 1178. This Rev A blows all the 1176 plugin copycats out of the water, no contest.
Old 1st December 2011
Gear Maniac

which cable for wiring hairball audio 1176?

Hi,
I've just order a 1176 kit at Hairball audio.
which cables for wiring the 1176 you advice me to buy?
Thanks.
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Hi guys, bumping this thread with a question

Does anyone have a bluestripe enclosure from hairball with the 'PEM standoff markings'? I received mine and they re quite noticeable. Just wondering if this is normal or not. All pics i've seen, the panel looks perfect. Disappointed in mine - not sure if to send it back or not. I'll post a pic if anyone wants.

There's a disclaimer on the hairball site, but i'm pretty sure this is new - can anyone confirm? I don't remember seeing the 'note' before.

The black faces don't have these markings..

Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Hi guys, bumping this thread with a question

Does anyone have a bluestripe enclosure from hairball with the 'PEM standoff markings'? I received mine and they re quite noticeable. Just wondering if this is normal or not. All pics i've seen, the panel looks perfect. Disappointed in mine - not sure if to send it back or not. I'll post a pic if anyone wants.

There's a disclaimer on the hairball site, but i'm pretty sure this is new - can anyone confirm? I don't remember seeing the 'note' before.

The black faces don't have these markings..

Thanks
Please post a pic. I'd like to see this, as I was about to order a Rev A kit.
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Sure, here are some pics. Sometimes you can get lucky and take a pic where some of the circles don't show, but as there are 6 circles (you can see the screws in one of the shots of the back of the panel that i included, so it makes sense) you usually can be sure that some will show.

I know to some people this is a non-issue and i understand there is now a note on the site (i never saw it when i ordered and i've followed hairball audio for months, so i think it's new), however i do remember seeing a load of these panels in the clearance section of the site for the same markings. This is what bugs me.

Perhaps those ones in the clearance were considered more severe, but it doesn't feel great to pay full price for a less than perfect product. Had i known i would have ordered a black Rev A kit or bought a different enclosure. I'm sure it's possible to make plates without these markings....

Can anyone confirm if this 'note' on the site is new? I'm pretty there never used to be a 'please note'... http://hairballaudio.com/shop/produc...roducts_id=112

I'll contact mike @ hairball soon, but as i'm in the UK, it's disappointing to deal with these issues as it'll be a longwinded process getting either a perfect one, or swapping for a black one, and even then there'll be customs charges and delays, blah blah blah.

Other than these marks, the quality of everything looks and feels great. But it's one of those things that will bug me every time i look at it...

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Hairball Audio 1176 compressors-hairballreva1-1-.jpg   Hairball Audio 1176 compressors-hairballreva3.jpg   Hairball Audio 1176 compressors-hairballreva1.jpg   Hairball Audio 1176 compressors-hairballreva2.jpg   Hairball Audio 1176 compressors-hairballreva15.jpg  

Hairball Audio 1176 compressors-hairballreva18.jpg   Hairball Audio 1176 compressors-hairballreva13.jpg   Hairball Audio 1176 compressors-hairballreva17.jpg  
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

I sent an email to Mike @ Hairball, hopefully i can get this sorted.
Old 23rd March 2012
Gear Maniac

Received mine a week ago, it don't have any marking like that
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Mike @ Hairball has already replied (after 10 mins!) and graciously offered me a free replacement black panel which he's sending out asap... very happy with the customer service - top guy/company!!

He also said he switched to a new metal shop and the problem won't arise again.

I'll grab a Rev D kit next but with a blue stripe front panel, so i can either swap the panels around then, or just have Blackface Rev A and Bluestripe Rev D... just to be totally craaaaaayzeeee!

Cheers

Eddie
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mike @ Hairball has already replied (after 10 mins!) and graciously offered me a free replacement black panel which he's sending out asap... very happy with the customer service - top guy/company!!

He also said he switched to a new metal shop and the problem won't arise again.

I'll grab a Rev D kit next but with a blue stripe front panel, so i can either swap the panels around then, or just have Blackface Rev A and Bluestripe Rev D... just to be totally craaaaaayzeeee!

Cheers

Eddie
Thank you very much for sharing this, I'm delighted to hear that Hairball customer service is this good as I will be purchasing a couple of these kits from them soon.
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear Head

Just purchased two rev D kits with a stereo kit... Can't wait to stuff these two puppies !!!
Old 11th September 2012
Here for the gear

For those of you looking for shielded wire for your 1176 builds I highly recomend this:

Canare L-2B2AT 2 Conductor Audio - it has a foil shield, with a nice drain wire for ground, very flexible, low noise - MARKERTEK is the best place on the web to order wire. Their prices are the lowest I've seen and their customer service is true "customer service" - shipping is fast as well.

Canare Corporation Of America Canare L-2B2AT 2 Conductor Audio Cable Bulk Audio Cable at Markertek.com
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

This thread has definitely been some great brain-candy! I'm thinking I'd really enjoy this. A couple of questions:
1) how important is an oscilloscope in the assembly process? Is it possible to get by without one? Been meaning to get one for many years now but I don't have one now.

2) has anybody tried out the Lola mic pre...if so what do you think of it?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search