The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help ... intermittent HF distortion ?
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Help ... intermittent HF distortion ?

I have this ongoing problem. It all started a few years back when bought a large Class A hi fi amp (Dussun V8i) and first plugged it in. The sound had a huge bass as if I had a bass control turned up to 11, but over the course of a few weeks the bass diminished and I was left with a overly bright sound.

I sold it thinking it was the miss-match with my amp and speakers and bought another power amplifier (Classe Audio CA201) and to my surprise , this also did the same. When I got it the sound was quite warm but after extended listening the sound became grainy and harsh (almost as is it's overdriven with bright distortion) but this time the sound cycled from harsh to normal over the space of days/weeks.

I sold the hifi and moved on to studio monitors + DAC... Exactly the same problem once more. The sound slowly changes each day , mixes I do one day sound muffled the next and on occasions when listening to music CDs the sound is painful.

So with deduction, it isn't a faulty amp/speakers/DAC as the sound changes via headphones directly out of the 3 different DACs I have.

It isn't the electricity as I now have mains filters on everything and a double conversion UPS running the DAC/Computer/Monitors.

It isn't the room as I have bass traps and panels all over the walls.

I thought it was my ears, but yesterday I was working away and took my portable player and headphones. The sound was perfect.. Then when I listened to them when I returned home they sounded completely different and bright again - this is when they're running off batteries.

All that remains is something airborne ?

I need to get to the bottom of this , so far it's cost me a fortune in swapping out high end hifi and studio gear.

can anyone help me please ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search