The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ways to alter bass sound? Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Head

Ways to alter bass sound?

Okay pretty much I'm looking programs or add-ons that can make my bass sound different, I'm finding it hard to explain what I mean so I hope you can get it. I've already tried using Delay but it didn't turn out very good so I'm looking for new ideas based on past experience or just plain curiosity. Cheers!
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

"different"?

Come on, throw us a bone here!
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Head

Im trying! I mean I want to find ways to change the sound, stuff like delay and distortion which I've already tried. I'm open about what to try really.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab182 View Post
Im trying! I mean I want to find ways to change the sound, stuff like delay and distortion which I've already tried. I'm open about what to try really.
Hi Rab,
For some great effects, for guitar and bass, try the Waves GTR3

Waves GTR

For example, there is a setting under the bass presets called "Guitar Wannabe", that makes the bass sound like an overdriven lead guitar. You have to try it to appreciate the range of sounds you can get from this amp/FX modelling software.

You can use it stand-alone or as a plugin (depending on the version).

Dr F.
Old 6th September 2011
rotating the phase of your wave a little can do wonders.

a good plug for this woould be the little labs phase alignment. but i think its only on UAD.

you say youve tried delay... have you tried extremely short delays? like less than 14 ms.. this would have the same effect as changing phase
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

What do you want it to sound like? Let's go from there.

(And "different" doesn't count )
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Head

Brilliant ideas, I've not tried a short delay yet but I'd be up for it.

I want it to sound weird i suppose, just not very bass-like :p
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

Try all kinds of different guitar amp simulators, if it's the "weird" factor you are trying to achieve. I did that on some DI'd fender bass loops and it starting getting more "open" with more life to it than a typical DI sound. You might need to try analog tape sims if you want even more oddness.
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

filters are your friend!

and carefull distortion!
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Try a T-Wah... funky.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

EH Bass microsynth, WMD Geiger counter
Old 9th September 2011
Simply lookup bass effect pedals, then ivestigate what such a pedal does and also goog to talk to bassplayers what they use.

I use a compressor pedal (markbass compressore), octaver (ashdown) and a delay where the low freq are not processed (only the high freq).

My octaver also has a distortion knob, using this subtle it gives a aggresive basssound. AMPS simulation also does it for me.

Envelope filters are great on bastracks to alter the feel.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search