The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warm/Mid sounding 12aX7 Channel Strip Plugins
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Warm/Mid sounding 12aX7

Ok so my Summit Audio 2BA-221 mic pre started making a loud hiss noise which when away when I swapped the 12ax7 tube inside. The thing is I used a cheap groove tube to test it. so I am looking for a good warm or mid/high mid sounding 12aX7 tube to replace it. And I just wanted to know what recommendations do you guys have.

thanks
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexspartacus View Post
Ok so my Summit Audio 2BA-221 mic pre started making a loud hiss noise which when away when I swapped the 12ax7 tube inside. The thing is I used a cheap groove tube to test it. so I am looking for a good warm or mid/high mid sounding 12aX7 tube to replace it. And I just wanted to know what recommendations do you guys have.

thanks
The needs for a mic pre are different than the needs for a guitar amp, but Myles Rose probably knows as much about tubes as anyone, and he seems to keep up on who has what available better than anyone. Shoot him an email, maybe he can help.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
...I am looking for a good warm or mid/high mid sounding 12aX7 tube to replace it.

Try looking for Mullard 12AX7 NOS tubes. Ask BOWIE here at GearSlutz.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Original Tung-sol or RCA from late 50's/early 60's...RCA will be a little glassier sounding. I buy up any preamp tubes I can from this period. Avoid any ebay green lable jan tubes...they are late 70's/early 80's that are harsh and brittle.

If you can drop the coin, the best vintage tubes are going to be Amperex/bugle boy's.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

General question for all you guys- why not a 5751 in place of 12ax7s? For example, take a look at part 3 of this old article-
AudioAsylum.com -- Joe's Tube Lore
Sylvania Gold Brand 5751 seem to be a magic thing according to the guy in the article. But for mic pres? I never hear of people using 5751s
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Based on your description, I would look for a black plate RCA to try first.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
General question for all you guys- why not a 5751 in place of 12ax7s? For example, take a look at part 3 of this old article-
Sylvania Gold Brand 5751 seem to be a magic thing according to the guy in the article. But for mic pres? I never hear of people using 5751s
5751's are a good sub for a 12ax7 in a preamp or mic because of the low noise floor...however output will be lower also...it's kind of like switching in the pad.
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

thanks guys for the helpful replies, i've been wanting to use an rca 12ax7 i heard it has a warm sound, good for recording electric guitars (which is what i am looking for) so i think I'll try one of those.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
They will give you slightly less gain than a 12ax7. They are lovely valves though. I use them in chinese valve mics to smooth them out.
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks guys for the helpful replies, i've been wanting to use an rca 12ax7 i heard it has a warm sound, good for recording electric guitars (which is what i am looking for) so i think I'll try one of those.
Soooo, what did you get...and what do you think?
Old 7th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
...The thing is I used a cheap groove tube to test it....
First off I dont work for Groove Tubes and barely sell many of them anymore. And I dislike Groove Tubes since FMIC bought them out for personal reasons but you can't just make a statement like that because GT make (rebrand) at least 6 different 12AX7 type of tubes. Which one was the cheap one that you didn't like the sound of? Look at the prefix and suffix on the GT tube... that identifies it.

These are all the 12AX7 types they sell:

GT-12AX7-C --- Chinese
GT-12AX7-R --- Russian
GT-12AX7-R2 --- long plate Russian
GT-12AX7-R3 --- another Russian type
GT-ECC83-S --- Slovik
GT- 5751M --- low gain 12AX7 type
SAG-12AX7-MPI --- matched triode 12AX7
ST-12AX7-C --- lower quality Chinese
ST-12AX7-R --- lower quality Russian
ST-12AX7-R2 --- lower quality long plate Russian
ST-12AX7-R3 --- another lower quality Russian type
ST-ECC83-S --- lower quality Slovik

As you can see all these 12AX7's are coming from at least 3 different tube factories in 3 different countries. So next time please try and be a little more specific as to which Groove Tube 12AX7 you don't like the sound of.

-Tony
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

This mic pre only uses a tube in its output stage so choosing a low noise one is not going to be necessary. There is no published schematic so it is impossible to say what the operating conditions of the tube are so making tube suggestions without this info is fairly pointless.

Cheers

Ian

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search