The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
caps for a power supply upgrade Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

caps for a power supply upgrade

I'm looking for a little guidance in a sea of cap manufacturers....

I need 5 electrolytic 4500uf 35v and 1 1500uf 80v 105 degree caps for a soundtracs power supply.

I saw prices from 2$ to 175$ per....

If someone could recommend a good brand/value/quality I could get In canada or USA would be awesome.

Digikey was telling me i need to order 2000+.... that just won't work for me!

Any other comments are welcome too.....

thanks folks.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

no one?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Did you try RS Components and/or Mouser ?
Or Farnell ?
If you cannot find it there, you probably will not find it at all.
Instead of 4500uF you may use 4700uF and instead of 1500uF you may use 1800uF.
These would be not a very big problem to get.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

whatever Mouser or DigiKey has in stock. A quick search shows no 4500 uF, but they do have 4700 uF in stock. Next question is radial or axial. If you still have a choice after that (and looking at the physical dimensions to make sure they will fit), Panasonic or Nichicon will work fine.

Edit - also, you might try waiting a day or so after a post here. Folks are not always reading the tech forums 24/7. Plus there's lots of good info available on power supply recapping if you search old posts.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for your replies. we'd need axial caps.

well. i did read a lot of threads about recapping. So i went to digi key and a bunch of other shops,a nd the choices are just MIND BOGGLING.... so many to choose from!

Anyway, I'll shop for the Panasionic or Nichion then.

Someone said to UP the value from 1500 to 1800... th eoriginal value in the power supply is 1000, my tech wanted to boost it to 1500, is 1800 TOO HIGH?

I know nothing, I was just given a grocery list.......
thanks people
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

I like the mouser.com capacitor selector. It lets you enter every known parameter you desire about the cap, then shows you what's available like that. Then you can read the brands and specs and further distill what you want.

Electrolytic caps are mostly 20% tolerance, so exact value tends to not be a problem in ordinary analog power supplies, within reason. If you use the mouser.com selector, you'll see some values are not standard and expensive. Nichicon, United Chemi Con, Panasonic, are all fine, but even they still make zillions of variations.

For starters, tell us the original values for capacitance and voltage and if there is a body size limit. We know you like 105F, and axial. You'll see there are many other specs one can consider, such as ESR, lifespan, physical size, etc, but this limits choices considerably.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by passenger View Post

well. i did read a lot of threads about recapping. So i went to digi key and a bunch of other shops,a nd the choices are just MIND BOGGLING.... so many to choose from!

Anyway, I'll shop for the Panasionic or Nichion then.

Someone said to UP the value from 1500 to 1800... th eoriginal value in the power supply is 1000, my tech wanted to boost it to 1500, is 1800 TOO HIGH?

I know nothing, I was just given a grocery list.......
thanks people
Yes you can go up to 1800uf, not a problem
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by passenger View Post

Can you confirm if they're really axial? I couldn't find any axial caps with those values at DigiKey! If radial, the only ones I could find are 4700uF, and of those here is my suggestion:

Nichicon PW 4700uF 35V 8000 hrs @ 105 Deg.C

If the cap is for a power supply filter, you can increase the capacitance and the voltage as well. Just don't go lower on the voltage. Higher number of hours for the given temperature rating is also preferred because for long term reliability you want caps that can withstand the high temps in a power supply for a longer time.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl777 View Post
Can you confirm if they're really axial? I couldn't find any axial caps with those values at DigiKey! If radial, the only ones I could find are 4700uF, and of those here is my suggestion:

Nichicon PW 4700uF 35V 8000 hrs @ 105 Deg.C

If the cap is for a power supply filter, you can increase the capacitance and the voltage as well. Just don't go lower on the voltage. Higher number of hours for the given temperature rating is also preferred because for long term reliability you want caps that can withstand the high temps in a power supply for a longer time.
Just get radials, bend the leads and call it a day
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
Just get radials, bend the leads and call it a day

From what I've read, the downside is that you'll have long leads, which causes the impedance at high frequencies to increase. But yeah, if you have no choice, it's probably not a big deal.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
From what I've read, the downside is that you'll have long leads, which causes the impedance at high frequencies to increase. But yeah, if you have no choice, it's probably not a big deal.
Honestly, an extra cm will cause how much extra impedance? come on.... nothing compared than the 30 feet cable youll be using.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks folks.
Tech wants Axial.
Radial....???? not too sure.
Will check out Mouser.

wa wa we wa! thanks a million.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Honestly, an extra cm will cause how much extra impedance? come on.... nothing compared than the 30 feet cable youll be using.

The Nichicon PW 4700 uF is 40 mm high. An equivalent axial would likely be 40 mm long. That means if a radial is used it will need 20 mm lead length on each side. That's 2 cm on each side and I don't feel comfortable with that (so anal that I am, but that's just me ).

Another alternative is this: If there is space on the board, you can combine several axials together, connected in parallel. The total capacitance of the combined whole would be the sum of the capacitance of the individual caps used. So for 4500 uF you could use three 1500 uF in parallel. You can mix different values (whatever are available) and any number of caps that will fit on the space as long as their total capacitance is 4500 uF or a little more. The advantage of this is that connecting caps in parallel lowers the ESR. The ESR of the combined caps is lower than if only one cap is used. Another advantage is that it will distribute the heat over several caps, so there's more caps with less heat on each one, which makes for longer term reliability.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Nichicon PW 4700 uF is 40 mm high. An equivalent axial would likely be 40 mm long. That means if a radial is used it will need 20 mm lead length on each side. That's 2 cm on each side and I don't feel comfortable with that (so anal that I am, but that's just me ).
I would love to see the reports of a blind sound test between using a PSU with an axial cap, and the same cap in a radial form with 2cm extra lead in each side, just makes me laugh.... anal is comparing something like the sound of Panasonic FM VS Nichicon HC, what you are saying its not anal, it ridiculous, but to each his own.... however i do agree there is a sense of aesthetics that just fails when you see a radial with its legs spread out, but aside from that, all the copper traces under the pcb will make those extra 2 cm in each side negligible....
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would love to see the reports of a blind sound test between using a PSU with an axial cap, and the same cap in a radial form with 2cm extra lead in each side, just makes me laugh.... anal is comparing something like the sound of Panasonic FM VS Nichicon HC, what you are saying its not anal, it ridiculous, but to each his own.... however i do agree there is a sense of aesthetics that just fails when you see a radial with its legs spread out, but aside from that, all the copper traces under the pcb will make those extra 2 cm in each side negligible....

Maybe so.... But just think of all the children you can feed with that 2cm..... Think Green MAn

just kidding.

Thanks guys. SUper helpful. Will advise on my progress..... Next step is the MAster section..... Watch ouT!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search