The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Juno 106 filter 80017A epoxy removed...replace with silicone? Channel Strip Plugins
Old 2nd September 2011
Deleted 93bb4d4
Juno 106 filter 80017A epoxy removed...replace with silicone?

Greetings-

I just picked up a Roland Juno 106 with all six 80017A chips working. Since they're prone to dying from the epoxy coating, I've removed the coating using acetone (so I can avoid spending extra $$$ from needing to replace them when they inevitably fail). I wonder if it's worth while to cover up the component side of the board with silicone. All the pics I've seen of epoxy-free 80017's don't seem to have new coating material- still, I wonder if such a close proximity to transistors and capacitors (which are practically touching the 80017A) might warrant some insulating material over the 80017.

All help is appreciated.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

I would cover the module with silicon based conformal coating, to protect the sand resistors from wicking up moisture. You may also want to mask the ic pins to make them serviceable in the future.
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but to my understanding you want electrically ISOLATING, thermally CONDUCTIVE material. The problem with the original stuff they used is that it became electrically CONDUCTIVE with time. Silicone will not hurt it, but it also won't do anything either. What I'm not sure of is the exact intention of Roland for dipping the boards. It's either to protect IP, thermal stability, or both. Voice circuits in analog synths tend to be very temperature sensitive and my feeling is they wanted to achieve a uniform temperature across the circuit. In any case, if you want to do it right, I'd use this:

Digi-Key - 473-1089-ND (Manufacturer - 832TC-450ML)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search