The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using a multimeter to determine L&R speaker wire
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear
Using a multimeter to determine L&R speaker wire

Hi

How would I use one of these to determine which wire is connected to the left and right speaker?

I am re-cabling my headsets and the star quad cable I am using only has the colour coding White and Blue. I have connected:

White to L and R -ve
Blue to L and R +ve

Now I am at the other end where the cable will be soldered to a TRRS connector I need to distinguish which blue cable is for L and R so I can connect them properly. The white cable will be joined to a common ground so it isn't important which wire is for L and R.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

Set your multimeter to measure resistance. If you've got continuity, you'll read a very small amount of resistance on the multimeter. If you don't have continuity, you'll read infinite resistance (or nothing). You should be able to identify the cables this way.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
Temporarily short one side of the cable (blue/white), then at the other end when you measure with the meter you can find which is the shorted pair, mark them and remove the temporary short.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search