The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
rectifiers for SC cps-150 psu rebuild Condenser Microphones
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Nut

rectifiers for SC cps-150 psu rebuild

Hello knowledgeable geeks! Im just breaking my cherry with electronics so be kind....and i know its another soundcraft psu thread but before the flames begin let me say i've searched my ass off here reading and re reading threads(some have disappeared) and i still have many questions.
Maybe i can make this the last ever thread on the cps-150!

I was going to up the bridge rectifiers to 400v/35 amp w heat sinks. i found these at digikey and they seem to be the right size but was wondering if they are in fact correct or if anyone has any other suggestions for rectifiers????
Digi-Key Part Search

ANd with that what should i change the rail fuses to??? Currently they're T3.15A/250v

Also, im replacing R32 2.7K 1/2W as the one thats in there is 1/4 watt and has scorched the pcb.

I will replace C1, C21 with 10000uf/50v nichicon vz (or go bigger 15k)

Now, i was going to go ahead and replace all the other E caps and was wondering if i should up the value on any of these too?????

C31=470uf/100v
C34,C33= 47uf/63v
C3,C4, C23,C24 = 47uf

I thank you all for you help and knowledge and hope that in the future i can be more help around here!
cheers,
Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cps 150 mod.pdf (140.7 KB, 389 views)
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Bumpity do DAW!
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

Anyone? Perhaps those that have upgraded there cps-150.
Id really appreciate it.
Thanks!
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

w/o browsing other threads on this. What are you trying to accomplish with all this? recapping? upping the power capability?

Sounds like an ambitious project to 'break your cherry'
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultek View Post
w/o browsing other threads on this. What are you trying to accomplish with all this? recapping? upping the power capability?

Sounds like an ambitious project to 'break your cherry'
Well, i guess im not a virgin, just not very experienced. I've racked some mic pres and re built a couple VChamps. Don't know much about bridge recs other than its a seires of diods used to turn AC into DC.

Its documented here in the fourms that the CPS-150 is underated for the larger soundcraft boards that it was sold with and that a fix for this using the bigger rectifiers/caps etc.

Im using it on a 16ch delta so it should be fine....but its old, has some heat damage from said parts, and prob could use a re cap.

I've seen info in multiple places(some conflicting) so im just trying to pull it all together.

Thanks,
S
Old 2nd September 2011
Those box diode bridges are rated at 8 or 10 amps, should be plenty as I have not replaced mine. I used 15000 uf 35 v Nichicon VZ caps for the mains, very quiet that way. The secondary caps are now 1000 uf 25v Panasonic FR series, new and the best out.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks for the info JiM!
so maybe 400v/35a is over kill? i just didn't want them to bake as much as the old ones.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsnblunts View Post
Thanks for the info JiM!
so maybe 400v/35a is over kill? i just didn't want them to bake as much as the old ones.
400V 35a ??..............and use 105 degree caps,they take longer to cook.
Read and reasearch
Something lost in todays web of instant gratification.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2udio View Post
400V 35a ??..............and use 105 degree caps,they take longer to cook.
Read and reasearch
Something lost in todays web of instant gratification.
Agreed and I have been reading, researching over the last year so i wouldn't exactly say that i'm looking for instant gratification.

Im trying to learn what/how the changes in parts effect the circut as opposed to just copying and swapping parts. Yes, i don't know jack.......that's why im here, that's why im trying to read 'The Art of Electronics' and other books. ****, i spent a day of re-reading old posts before i made this thread. Can you point me to something to read and research to help me out?
Old 19th March 2014
Gear Head

Old thread I realize, hoping someone replies though, I just got new bridge rectifiers for my CPS 150 as the unit powers on and the phantom power works but the -17 and +17 doesn't and after searching found out this was the issue. I also decided to get the ones that were suggested, bigger ones, but main question here. How do i retro fit these things in there?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search