The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eventide H3000 - freaking out on startup?
Old 26th July 2011
Lives for gear

Eventide H3000 - freaking out on startup?

When I turn my Eventide on it starts making this clicking noise. I noticed that it clicks upon startup usually, but it keeps repeating that. It'll go to the patch that was last selected, but then it'll act like it's booting up again automatically, display Eventide H3000 on it and make that clicking sound. And funnily enough, if I get it stable, as soon as I pass audio through it, it resets itself.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What's wrong with it and how do I fix it?
Old 26th July 2011
tko
Gear Nut

Easy fix

I had the same thing and it was an easy and cheap fix for my local guy about $60. So take it some one and they will sus it.
Old 26th July 2011
A friend of mine had exactly the same problem, I don't how he fixed it. Maybe the power supply is gone?
Old 26th July 2011
I had the same issue. I had to reconnect a cable in my H3000. Opened it up, push against the loosened connector, and it worked again.

I read it on their yahoo-usergroup a few years back. Seems to be a common problem.

Hope this works for you too.
Old 27th July 2011
Gear Nut

Yes there is a fairly large White/clear plastic connector towards the rear of unit that is your problem. Take that connector apart and put it back together until your unit stops freaking out. This info is direct from eventide. They say they have had many problems with that connector.
Simple fix and it's free. Have a nice day.
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot guys, I was thinking a 'chip' or something was burning out. I don't know what piece you're talking about but I'm getting behind my rack right now to take a look.
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

Hmm... I've got the top off of it but don't see the exact thing that was mentioned. There are a few little pieces toward the back that could be what's been pointed out. Is it the power connector looking thing that looks like a power plug to power a motherboard?

If I know exactly what to look for I'd tighten it. Can anyone possibly redirect me to a post on yahoo groups or a forum or on the eventide site that discusses this?
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

Ok, all I did was push my thumb on the piece posted in the picture above and it seems to have fixed. I didn't even take it out - only pushed on it a little. I hope that this will last though and it's not a fluke that it's working now. It didn't even seem like it was loose when I pushed on it.
Old 27th July 2011
I'd pull the connector, spray it with deoxit, try to gently scrub the pins and the connector with an old toothbrush wet with yet more deoxit.

Let dry, put it back on.
Gently reseat the connector a few times...on / off / on / off.

Just a few, these things have a limited life span.

This should fix this if that is in fact the problem.

You don't want it making an intermittent connection while in a mixing session. Clean it up so it doesn't do this again for 10 years or whatever.

If it has been sitting, and this problem just "developed"...it is probably due to oxidation.

I would not trust merely "pushing on it".

Hope it helps,
John
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

I'll have to pick up some deoxit. I'll also have to get some contact cleaner for cleaning my patch bay. Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it. It seems to be working now
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

it was the two cables on the right side going to the back of the unit connected to the ac outlet in my case.

unplug it, turn it on again, remove the top and reconnect those.

had it 3 times with the h3000 and 2 times with the m5000.

could always be fixed by doing that. hope that helps, good luck !
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

I turn mine off as rarely as possible. And keep it well ventilated at the same time.
Old 27th July 2011
Also be aware it's switching psu emits a lot of EMI. Rack it away from analog gear or it will contaminate and affect the THD of compressors and preamps.

I used to turn it off when not used just to minimize that.
Old 27th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSLand View Post
I'll have to pick up some deoxit. I'll also have to get some contact cleaner for cleaning my patch bay. Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it. It seems to be working now
If it works, then don't mess with it any further!
Old 27th July 2011
Gear Nut

"If it works, then don't mess with it any further!"

True, but if the connector reseat doesn't fix it, as was the case with my H3000 which also clicked and would not take commands some time ago, I gently pushed down on all IC's. Some will actually make a very slight tic or creak with that initial push as they seat fully and any additional pushes will be silent. It brought mine back to life.
Old 28th July 2011
Gear Nut

Funny...
I replaced all the power supply caps in mine, and it's worked great ever since (two years running). Now I wonder if that was necessary- I probably re-seated everything as a matter of course and maybe THATs what did it.
Old 17th November 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks guys I had the same issue.....Eventide H3000DSE switching itself on and off repeatedly or getting stuck on the start up LCD display!
Obviously with everything turned off.....I simply unplugged the connector identified previously in this thread then reconnected it and everything is now working again. I didn't have any deoxit handy so if it happens again next time I'll do the same and also give it a spray.

Thanks again, cheers
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

Same thing happens with ours on occasion. Glad I happened upon this thread! Thanks guys!
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Also be aware it's switching psu emits a lot of EMI. Rack it away from analog gear or it will contaminate and affect the THD of compressors and preamps.

I used to turn it off when not used just to minimize that.
Err, actually it's a linear supply and the connector in question is an 8 pin, .156 Molex that carries the secondaries from the power transformer. If the connector is showing signs of excess heat (brownish colour, usually around the two gray wires) you should really replace both the male and female ends, or, just take it out and solder the leads directly to the board. Just sayin'...
best,
Ike
Old 31st January 2012
Here for the gear

Wow, looks like this helped Thanks friends!
Old 1st February 2012
Lives for gear

Glad this thread got bumped. I got an Orville that is doing the same thing. This might save me having to send it to Eventide.
Old 1st February 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctms777 View Post
I had the same issue. I had to reconnect a cable in my H3000. Opened it up, push against the loosened connector, and it worked again.

I read it on their yahoo-usergroup a few years back. Seems to be a common problem.

Hope this works for you too.
Worked for mine heh
Old 16th November 2013
Good stuff, guys!

My H3000SE also had a no-boot problem. I took it apart (not for the first time, since I already changed operation to -10 and later back to +4).

First I blew nearly a whole can of pressurized air into the thing and then wiggled all ICs that are socketed and the power supply thing.

Boots up fine now. What a relief!

I couldn't spot the battery, btw, but since that wasn't the problem, I'm not looking any further.

Thanks to all for sharing!

Stefan
Old 10th December 2015
power connector on mine has a pin that looks burnt / oxide
http://www.lakesidepinballparts.com/8pinmolex.jpg
connector looks like this can i redo the pins?
Old 10th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by natere2 View Post
power connector on mine has a pin that looks burnt / oxide
http://www.lakesidepinballparts.com/8pinmolex.jpg
connector looks like this can i redo the pins?
H3000 Faulty Molex Connector

Solder the wires to the board and ditch the connectors.
Old 14th December 2015
Lives for gear

Wow this just worked for mine. The connector had come unseated. So excited to have this working again.
Old 11th December 2016
got mine working via solder wires straight to header pinsd. color code helped a bit! Back up and running!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search