The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is a shorting mono 1/4" jack?
Old 10th March 2006
Gear Head

Thread Starter
What is a shorting mono 1/4" jack?

Maybe a stupid question, but is it the same as a switched jack?

Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear
orange's Avatar

I assume that it's a 1/4" mono jack with tip and shield connected (shorted).

what do you need to use it for ?
Old 10th March 2006
Gear addict
Farview's Avatar

If you are talking about a male 1/4 connector, it has a sliding sleeve or a switch that shorts it out when it's not plugged in. You plug that end into your guitar so when you unplug your guitar from the amp, it doesn't make any noise.
Old 10th March 2006
Gear Head

Thread Starter
Thanks so far...

No, I mean a female 1/4 jack.
It's on the partslist of a DIY-DI-box. It's used at the instrument-input.
Old 10th March 2006
A shorting mono jack, or unbalanced in your case is a 1/4 jack that shorts the input when there is no 1/4 male unbalanced jack plugged into it. This way if you have nothing plugged into it, the output of the device is automatically '0' no matter where the gain is set.
Old 10th March 2006
Gear Head

Thread Starter
Thanks a lot. That was very helpful.
Old 10th March 2006
Lives for gear
paully's Avatar

A shorting jack, and described above, is not the same as a switching jack. For a great guide to jack schematics, go to:

Click on 'jacks and plugs'
Click on 'jack schematics'.. download page 1 of 2.

A shorting jack looks like figure II, where the internal path is grounded until a plug is inserted.

A switching jack looks like figure VI, where the internal signal path is interupted by the plug insertion.

Old 10th March 2006
A switching jack is used in a device like a guitar effects pedal. It allows the battery to be disconnected from the load if there is no guitar plugged into it. Helps save batteries and for all those pot heads out there, how many of them could really remember to turn off the damn pedal when there not using it.
Old 31st December 2011
Gear interested

installing 1/4 female jack in combi amp

I want to plug an external speaker, same impedance, into into a combi amp and disconnect the smaller internal speaker. I'm told I can do it with a shorting jack but my immediate impression is I end up with two speakers in series and double the load. I'm new at this. Can someone point me in the right direction?

thanks Rob

Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread Starter / Forum
Rednose / Low End Theory
Beech / Geekslutz forum
swankdoc / So much gear, so little time
The Beatsmith / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds

Forum Jump
Forum Jump