The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Live Venue Recording Mixing Tips
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear Nut

Live Venue Recording Mixing Tips

Hi Everyone I recently recorded my band playing a fairly large show at a local theater. I brought a split out and tracked the whole show directly into my Nuendo rig. Im looking for tips on blending the room in. I had two pencil condensers on stage for crowd noise and two LD condensers at FOH for an image of the room. My question specifically is: how much room do you generally put in? Should I leave the FOH mics up and automate the stage mics for crowd noise at the end of each song? I want it to sound live but not have that "empty swimming pool" vibe. Do you guys use verb on vox mics or should I leave well enough alone? Thanks in advance! -Billy
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

I mix a church service every week from a well designed 400 seat theater. My usual process is to use the room mics (bone dry, just panned) as a guide to get the stage mix worked out, then mix (filter/EQ/squash) the room mics over the stage mix to get the whole room sound back in there. Works fine for that room.

I've done it where you get the room mics right & then use the stage stuff to fill in which results in an organic, 'I was there' kind of mix. I've also tossed the room mics completely out, then tinkered up a reverb to sound like the room. That keeps crying babies, sneezes & coughs out of the music, and leaves the room mics still available for applause & laughter kind of stuff.

Suppose it depends on what you're gunning for which way you'd go...if you're in a big reverberant theater, I'd probably shut the room mics off & get the stage mix right...then figure out what to do with the rooms afterward...

todd
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Nut

Hey Todd, thanks for the response! Im under the same though process as you: get the stage mix right and blend the room in. The only problem is that you hear the slap back of the room through all the mics. For example: when the snare drum is hit you get the sound as it travels from the snare mic to the mic on the front of the stage all the way back to the FOH mic. Do you nudge your tracks at all or is that one of the "sounds" of live recording?
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Shift the room mics so that they line up in time with the primary tracks.
Old 4th March 2011

Or not... the slap of the snare is an essential part of the live experience.

If it's too bad, you could use a compressor on the FOH sidechained to the snare (or drum submix).

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search