The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Make DIY inline preamp like Triton Fethead?
Old 21st February 2011
Gear Nut

Make DIY inline preamp like Triton Fethead?

Does anyone know good DIY versions of this inline preamp? A schematic with high quality components would be excellent. Like what is a transparent op amp/jfet and what capacitors are good to use. I found one cheap (around 10 dollars) product that shows the schematic but I am not sure of the quality:

Velleman UNIVERSAL MONO PREAMPLIFIER KIT: Designnotes.com

Best Regards
Old 22nd February 2011

Judging by the 5% carbon resistors and the un-bypassed electrolytic caps, I'd say that the quality on that one isn't that great...

I'd look for a design that uses an integrated mic pre (like the THAT 1510 or INA217). But, for use with phantom power, a descrete BJT design is probably better.

-tINY

Old 23rd February 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Tiny, what type of resistors are great for audio? Regards.
Old 23rd February 2011 | Show parent

Well matched metal film resitors

-tINY

Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ickefes View Post
Does anyone know good DIY versions of this inline preamp? A schematic with high quality components would be excellent. Like what is a transparent op amp/jfet and what capacitors are good to use. I found one cheap (around 10 dollars) product that shows the schematic but I am not sure of the quality:

Velleman UNIVERSAL MONO PREAMPLIFIER KIT: Designnotes.com

Best Regards
Pay attention on schematics like this one:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=5743.300

Because I've made it, it works but it doesn't boost anything.
It works I mean: when you give the 48V yo get the audio signal through it.
Without 48V no signal is passing.

BUT the 25-30dB gain: not even the shadow
Old 4 weeks ago
Use a matched transistor pair or the CMRR will go to crap. Linear Systems makes very good ones, get a free sample.
www.linearsystems.com
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Pay attention that the circuit of the TritonAudio FETHEAD is changed. Now it's this one (just delivered this afternoon).
Probably they didn't find any longer LSK170BL OR they got issues with.
I attach also the pictures of the circuit.

P.S. if you ever got high noise level and low amplification by your LSK170BL, just they are fake as many ones around. I did notice that even with the correct Idss, many are really noisy.
I think that's the reason for which they use the "XG" that's a 2SK209. 2 in parallel in order to diminish the noise figure by 3dB each leg, and they are not fake stuff.
It does work fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Make DIY inline preamp like Triton Fethead?-fethead3.jpg   Make DIY inline preamp like Triton Fethead?-fethead2.jpg   Make DIY inline preamp like Triton Fethead?-fethead1.jpg   Make DIY inline preamp like Triton Fethead?-fethead.jpg  
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear