The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Using 120v power strip on 240v?
Old 25th January 2006
Gear Maniac

Using 120v power strip on 240v?

Hi,

I have a very basic question that I'm sure one of youze guyz can help me with.

I'm headed to England for a couple weeks, and most all of my (USA) electro gadgets can handle 110-240v. Rather than buying plug adapters for everything, could I just use a single adapter and one of my spare 120v power strips?

Seems like it's just a switch, some wire and some outlets. I'm hoping that if I'm not pulling that much current it would work ok without burning down the hotel. Or am I just asking for trouble? Also I'm assuming I'd have to use a strip that doesn't have a breaker built in. (?)

Thanks in advance!
Old 25th January 2006

The internal wiring on the thing is designed for half the voltage. You may be asking for trouble.....

The adapter plugs are cheap. You can probably borrow an outlet strip.....

-tINY

Old 25th January 2006
Gear Maniac

thanks tiny. yeah the more i think about this i don't feel too good about it.
Old 25th January 2006
Lives for gear

IM not sure how you could do that anyway, one thing if it has surge protection using MOV's that will not work, you may excede the working voltage.
Old 25th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbinSprawl
I'm headed to England for a couple weeks, and most all of my (USA) electro gadgets can handle 110-240v. Rather than buying plug adapters for everything, could I just use a single adapter and one of my spare 120v power strips?
Seems like it's just a switch, some wire and some outlets. I'm hoping that if I'm not pulling that much current it would work ok without burning down the hotel. Or am I just asking for trouble? Also I'm assuming I'd have to use a strip that doesn't have a breaker built in. (?)
No, you cannot do this.
I lived in New York for 2004 and my US strips definitely say 110v not 110V-240v.

My UK strips work fine here in Switzerland though- 230v - 240v is fine 110v to anything else isnt.

Go to Maplins (near tottencourt road) to bulk buy converters.
Last time I looked they were about £2 a piece.
Old 26th January 2006
Lives for gear

I have lots of 110V equipment in my (230V) studio. I use one step down transformer 230 to 110V and a 110V power strip. Works great.
Old 26th January 2006

Echorec's answer is best. Add up all the wattage of all the gear you are bringing over and get a 240 to 120v step down transformer of sufficient VA to run it all off the strip.
Old 26th January 2006
Gear Maniac

Thanks y'all...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search