The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2 SPL GS1 start to make mechanical noises at the same time
Old 3rd January 2011
Deleted User #43636
2 SPL GS1 start to make noises at the same time

I'm having a problem with pots on my 2 SPL GS1 since today. I bought them at the same time around may 2008. I've been happy with them since. No noisy pots. I'm far from using them everyday. Last time I've used them until today was september 2010 and they were ok.
Today, on both pres at the same time, I'm starting to have a weird noise with the tube gain pot, which is detented and acts like a switch for the tube part of the circuitry.

When I turn the tube gain pot nothing happens until it switches the tube circuit on (it's a delayed switch), then the pot crackles in bursts . I mean ,in the room, acoustically ! The audio signal is affected too, but it's not very audible except on headphones, the mechanical noise is more noticeable (it is THAT loud !). The crackles burst may last after I've stop touching the pot.
I suspect this is something related to the switch function (which normally makes a slightly audible mechanical click when set on ) .
The undetented clean gain pot and the detented output level one are fine.
Maybe a low quality part has reached the end of its life span (3 years +/- ...) ? It's the only explanation I can think of, as it happened at the same time on two separate pres bought at the same time...
I'm very annoyed. Does someone have an idea about what's happening ?
Old 3rd January 2011
Deleted User #43636
After having turned the pot both ways several times, the problem which occurred everywhere in the pot course is now located in the first 1/8th. The clicks bursts are probably the tube circuit switch toggling between on and off very quickly. Is this something which could be related to dust (as the problem reduced a little after the pot being turned several times) ? or to an electronic part used for delaying the switch operation ?
Old 3rd January 2011
Deleted User #43636
Massive injection of electronics lubricant totally solved the problem on one of the pres and almost totally on the other. It was a dust/dirt related problem, with the switch function not with the potentiomenter one which is totally clean and silent.

Thanks everyone for your valuable help. Next time, I'll start a "should I sue SPL ?" thread in the Moan Zone... heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search