The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help with my DIY 1176!!
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Help with my DIY 1176!!

So I got a Hairball Audio Kit for a Rev D 1176 and I finally finished building it. I am very new to building this gear and I gotta say that maybe building the 1176 wasn't the best first project to build but I know will definitely be worth to have once I'm done. So i finished wiring everything and I turned it on. Nothing was fried, everything was good passed the smoke test. I unplugged it, turned it upside down to mount the bottom plate, flipped it back around plugged it back in and turned it on and nothing happened. Since then I have rechecked my connections, looked over posts over the internet to see if someone had the same issue (I figured I'm not the first) but found nothing to help me. I am posting some pictures here. Sorry if the quality isn't the best I took them with my phone. Let me know if you need any other pics too and I'll post anything to get some help on this! it's pretty messy wiring and all that so go easy on me!heh any help on what to do or what to check would be great. thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Help with my DIY 1176!!-img_0703.jpg   Help with my DIY 1176!!-img_0704.jpg   Help with my DIY 1176!!-img_0705.jpg   Help with my DIY 1176!!-img_0706.jpg   Help with my DIY 1176!!-img_0707.jpg  

Help with my DIY 1176!!-img_0708.jpg   Help with my DIY 1176!!-img_0709.jpg   Help with my DIY 1176!!-img_0710.jpg   Help with my DIY 1176!!-img_0712.jpg   Help with my DIY 1176!!-img_0713.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Well, I'm not one for long range diagnosis because 99 times out of 100 it never works, but the first thing I would do is check the powersupply. See if you are getting power to the transformer, from the transformer, and from the voltage taps on the PS board. Not only should the correct voltage levels by present but the correct polarities also. Actually, the PS is the first thing you should test before connecting it to the rest of the circuit.

I see that you've also used what we call here, so-called, Lusterklemmer; that's that big white connector with the six screwdown slots. DO NOT(!) solder the wires together when you put them in there because after a while the solder will give way and you'll have a spark gap between the screw and the wire. At low voltages the connection will go intermittant and at high voltages the wires will heat up and burn - trust me, I've actually seen this happen.

Remove the PCB's and examine the undersides of them to make sure that you didn't forget a solder point.

Just because it didn't smoke doesn't mean you didn't burn anything up. An IC won't necessarily burn up if you reverse the voltages on the pins.

Make sure that all your caps are poled correctly. Again, these are things you should always do before applying power to the unit. The first project I ever built was a relatively complex micpreamp - this was about 25 years ago. The thing never worked and I never figured out what was wrong with it, so I trashed it and built a simpler one - which actually did work.

From your post, you never actually said that this thing ever worked. You imply that the power light came on, but you never said that you actually put audio through it. Question: did you ever have audio running through the unit or did it just light up? If you never had audio through it then there could be a million things wrong with it and it would only be a lucky guess if anybody here could discover what went wrong. At any rate, you are going to have to apply some good solid troubleshooting techniques in order to fix a unit as complex as this one - I wish you all the best.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I would start with a DMM and check supply voltages etc first
from the schematic .....do you have one ?
You just seem to mention it passing the smoke test !!?
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

Check you fuse. My rev A had problems blowing fuses.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalis View Post
Well, I'm not one for long range diagnosis because 99 times out of 100 it never works, but the first thing I would do is check the powersupply. See if you are getting power to the transformer, from the transformer, and from the voltage taps on the PS board. Not only should the correct voltage levels by present but the correct polarities also. Actually, the PS is the first thing you should test before connecting it to the rest of the circuit.

I see that you've also used what we call here, so-called, Lusterklemmer; that's that big white connector with the six screwdown slots. DO NOT(!) solder the wires together when you put them in there because after a while the solder will give way and you'll have a spark gap between the screw and the wire. At low voltages the connection will go intermittant and at high voltages the wires will heat up and burn - trust me, I've actually seen this happen.

Remove the PCB's and examine the undersides of them to make sure that you didn't forget a solder point.

Just because it didn't smoke doesn't mean you didn't burn anything up. An IC won't necessarily burn up if you reverse the voltages on the pins.

Make sure that all your caps are poled correctly. Again, these are things you should always do before applying power to the unit. The first project I ever built was a relatively complex micpreamp - this was about 25 years ago. The thing never worked and I never figured out what was wrong with it, so I trashed it and built a simpler one - which actually did work.

From your post, you never actually said that this thing ever worked. You imply that the power light came on, but you never said that you actually put audio through it. Question: did you ever have audio running through the unit or did it just light up? If you never had audio through it then there could be a million things wrong with it and it would only be a lucky guess if anybody here could discover what went wrong. At any rate, you are going to have to apply some good solid troubleshooting techniques in order to fix a unit as complex as this one - I wish you all the best.
Thank you Vitalis for the help in advance I appreciate it. Like I said I am very new at this and again in hindsight shouldn't of picked such a complex project to work on as my first, but seeing as far as I've come at this point, I'd like to get it working. I've checked mostly everything in your post- the lusterklemmer as you call it. no soldering there so I'm good and I checked to see if I missed a solder point and I checked the caps as well- all good. If you could have some more patience and help me on how to check the power supply. I have verified the connections from the IEC to the power switch and the connections from the power switch to the power transformer set up in parallel as instructed by mnats on his site. I do not know how to test voltage on any of it though, just verified connections. Again, very new to building electronics. I did not ever try to put audio through I just tested to see if it was on and then after I put the bottom panel on it wouldn't turn on. I have tried passing audio through it but nothing. I am guessing that it's my power source that's the problem but that's only a guess at this point. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Road View Post
Check you fuse. My rev A had problems blowing fuses.
Fuse checked. No problems though. appreciate the comment!
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansonwing View Post
I just tested to see if it was on and then after I put the bottom panel on it wouldn't turn on. I have tried passing audio through it but nothing. I am guessing that it's my power source that's the problem but that's only a guess at this point. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Was it working or 'power up' prior to putting the bottom panel on?
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Help with my DIY 1176!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicDaddy

Was it working or 'power up' prior to putting the bottom panel on?
It had powered up prior to putting the bottom panel on yes.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
It had powered up prior to putting the bottom panel on yes.
Have you since tried removing the bottom panel, and powering up?

Could be a broken trace on the board, a short, cold/intermittent solder joint that had continuity prior to assembly which now is open?? Hard to give any help other than start back tracking to the point where you had it powering up.

Look for component legs shorting onto the chassis (I'm building 2 Rev As as soon as Mike gets the chassis in I'd really like to see yours fire up for you )
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Help with my DIY 1176!!

You know I thought the same thing. I have removed the bottom panel after seeing as that was my first reaction to take it off but no luck. At this point I'm wishing I had more experience in electronics heh good luck on your Rev A's I'd like to see your progress!
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
You know I thought the same thing. I have removed the bottom panel after seeing as that was my first reaction to take it off but no luck. At this point I'm wishing I had more experience in electronics heh good luck on your Rev A's I'd like to see your progress!

hmmm...

do you have a dmm? Do you have a harbor freight nearby?

We have a working 1176, we put the bottom on and now we have a non working 1176, we remove the panel and still the 1176 is no joy.

Any wires that may have been tweaked during the chassis assembly?

Maybe do a gentle tug (with the unit unplugged) a weak joint or frayed wire may give under a little stress, I'm by no means suggesting to go ripping into wires. Strong solder joints and good wiring will stand up to a simple pull test.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

First question, do you have a multimeter and know how to use it. This is essential.
Second, unplug the mains, check the resistance from the mains cord earth to the chassis. It should be below 1 ohm. Now if the **** hits the fan, at least the case is grounded.
Third, with the unit plugged in, measure the d.c. supply voltages. To do this, you need to be able to read and understand the schematic. If you cannot, then you need to do the study to get up to this point.
If d.c. supplies are good, work your way around the board measuring voltages and check them against the necessary voltages.
I cannot over-emphasise visual inspection. Go over your work very carefully.
Double check the right bits are in the right places. Caps the right way round.
Turn the board over and check all solder joints.
A previous poster mentioned your terminal block on the power. It is easy for the beginner to put wires in these blocks and have the screw into the plastic insulation. So check this.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
So i finished wiring everything and I turned it on. Nothing was fried, everything was good passed the smoke test. I unplugged it, turned it upside down to mount the bottom plate, flipped it back around plugged it back in and turned it on and nothing happened.
So from reading you're first post you dont actualy know if it worked properly at all.....
Rule 1 New Build........continuity checks on all wiring !
Rule 2...after first switching on a new build ,Check All Power rails
Get a DMM and learn how to use it before you smoke it !!
Why put the bottom on........you havent even got to testing and calibrating it yet ?
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Help with my DIY 1176!!

I did say many times I was new to this! I've got a bunch of reading and learning to do!
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I did say many times I was new to this! I've got a bunch of reading and learning to do!
keep at mate, it could be something retartdely simple!

I re-capped my mixer, it was working, then I replaced all the faders and wired every single one the wrong way round i was checking all sorts, never occured to me the faders were wrong until I noticed the one working channel wires were the other way round
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

How do you know that the device isn't working ?
Because the VU lamp isn't on ?
If you have the 12V lamp version of Hairballs VU Meter, you need a 550 Ohm resistor between your secondary of your power transformator (approx. 28.5-30V if I remember correctly) and the lamp or you will fry it quickly.

Maybe the device is working and you just need calibration in order to show something on the meter.

-------

I have some concerns about your grounding.

1.) Is the wire on the pic IMG_0708.JPG (6 of 10) going from the case of the output transformer (on the left side) connected to were you have your green wire (ground) attached ? If so remove it because the earth wire of the IEC should be separated from the signal ground.

2.) Have you scraped the black coating off the case were you attach the grounds (essentially earth ground) ? You have to do this because the coating is non-conductive.

3.) How did you wire Pin 1 (ground) of the XLR input / output ? If you haven't attached them to the chassis (by scraping of the coating), connect Pin 1 of XLR Input to Pin 1 of XLR Output and the take another wire to connect ground of XLR Output to were your signal ground (green wire) is attached to the chassis. This should fix any ground loops in case you should have any.

4.) I can't see were your signal ground is going to. It goes underneath the board but I can't see it going into the terminal block at the bottom of the board (front side).

Good luck !
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Help with my DIY 1176!!

Well it's out of my hands at this point. Gonna have a friend look at it sometime this week. Hopefully he can make better progress on it than I can
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Let us know what happens. I will start on my Rev D soon.
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Help with my DIY 1176!!

Well I am building two of these and just finished wiring and behold it works! I still have to get a resistor on the vu lamp it's way bright! It passes audio I will calibrate tonight. Hopefully I can get the first one working I could have a stereo comp
Attached Thumbnails
Help with my DIY 1176!!-imageuploadedbygearslutz.jpg  
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Awesome!!!

I like the Silver/Bluey, is the other that you're having problems with the blackface/bluestripe?

How does it sound?

Tell us how calibration goes, looks like a lot of fun
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Help with my DIY 1176!!

Thanks! Ya I like the blue strip case. If I remember right the blue stripe is for the rev A but I thought I'd throw things up a bit with my rev D's. So far it sounds great! I can't even imagine how good it'll sound after it's calibrated. I hope to get this other one working and have me a stereo pair!
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Maniac

So, I know I got one of my 1176 working and my friend fell through on checking out the other one, I think i'd like someone to just check them both. I'd like to have the peace of mind knowing that my comps are in perfect condition. If anyone out there has any experience building these, please message me with your rates and all of your info. I am in Utah and would prefer to keep it here, but if I have to ship I will do that. If there's another place I can post this, please let me know. thanks!
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Can anyone help out regarding my last post?? I hate to repost somewhere and post this annoying little ad to get these working all over the place. thanks!
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Maniac

i might missed something but did you check your power lines with a multimeter?

where are you located?
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Help with my DIY 1176!!

So I am very new to building electronics and realized I was over my head in this project and I'm not sure on how to troubleshoot at all so I think I'd rather have some piece of mind and get my 2 comps to someone who is experienced on the 1176 to get them both working perfect and calibrated. I'm in Utah and I'd like to do it here but of I need to ship I will.
Old 21st January 2011
Lives for gear

Did you use the Hairball Toroidal?

If so, it looks like the secondary is wired incorrectly.

Check your black and red secondary leads.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with my DIY 1176!!-output.jpg  
Old 29th January 2011
Gear Addict

What was the outcome on this? I'm trying to calibrate my rev-d but it's going tits up on the GR meter tracking. All other calibration went good.
Old 29th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Help with my DIY 1176!!

I ended up finding a local that is getting them fixed for me. He used to work for George massenburg so I'm confident. Next diy project I'll be learning a bit more before I start!
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Well we've said it before and we'll say it again, beginners who do not have a multimeter can do nothing..

Naahhssiiing!

Reading voltage is like being able to measure ingredients in your kitchen with spoons or a measuring cup.
In fact I would go so far as to say, if you want to diy, and learn you must buy a multimeter before you start building the thing.
In years past, in was unthinkable to do any kind of electrical work without a multimeter, which back then, was just called a "meter". multi had no meaning since all there was to measure was voltage, current and resistance.

best of luck!

2N

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search