The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Trying to diagnose mic static, mp3 attached
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Trying to diagnose mic static, mp3 attached

Attached is an mp3 of a short clip of me testing a used CAD tube mic I just bought. There's intermittent static. I tried my friend's power supply and cable for the same mic, and the results are the same, so it has to be something within the mic itself.
Do you recognize this sound? Does the tube need replacement? Is it the electronics?
Thanks,
Jeff
Attached Files

Static.mp3 (323.8 KB, 575 views)

Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Sounds like the tube to me. I had a similar noise problem with my K2, I went to replace the tube and just realized it wasn't in all the way. Tested it again and it was fine. Maybe that's it?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Could be the tube, could be moisture on the capsule....could be anything...now's the time for methodical troubleshooting.

Do you have another of the same mic?
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks for the responses. MicDaddy, my friend does have the same mic. What do you suggest for methodical troubleshooting? Until I read your response, I'll put a desiccant packet in the case with the mic.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

A/B them on the same chain.

Confirm A=works B=spits etc..

If you can swap the tubes comfortably I'd start there.

Be absolutely sure that these are indeed the same mic/tube/whatnots, I don't mean to offend but just double cover your butt to be safe.

If your mic still proves problematic at this point then it must be with either the capsule or circuit of your mic.

If the problem follows the tube then I think it'd be safe to say you isolated the problem to the tube.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Addict

I'll have to run it by my friend, who may not be willing to open his mic up, but it makes sense what you're saying. Thanks!
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicManic View Post
I'll have to run it by my friend, who may not be willing to open his mic up, but it makes sense what you're saying. Thanks!
Typically if they have tubes, they're easy and allowed to be opened (shouldn't void any warranty). What I would do next, if your friend is willing to open his up as well, is swap the tubes in them and see if the problem follows the tube. If his mic has the same problem now, you know for sure it's the tube. If the problem goes away on both it probably was an incidental issue with the tube that got fixed when you took it out. If the problem stays at least your ruled out the tube.

BTW- I listened to the clip before I read your post and the first thing I thought was, "Sounds like a problem with the tube...wait, is it even a tube mic?". That's where my money is.
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Addict

It was the tube. Thanks, everyone!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search