The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL Center Section Module Caps??? Consoles
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict
SSL Center Section Module Caps???

I re-capped channels 1 - 40 on our SSL 4000G. Just wondering about the center section/ master output cards. Which of these cards are in the audio path for the console output? I'm assuming there is a card for each of the channels of the quad buss. What else? I'd like to make sure I re-cap everything in the audio path. Thanks.
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Altough I've worked on a few 4000's, it's been awhile, and I don't have any schemos to look at. That being said...pull out the service docs and find the master/center schematics. Anything that is hooked in/out of any of the opamps is in the signal path! <g>

Best,

Bri
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Hi
Basically you should be replacing / reviewing ALL electrolytic caps in the 'centre' section as although some may not be in the 'main path' they can nevertheless have some impact as they could be on the supply lines for example which would prevent distorted signal or some forms of 'crosstalk' from other apparently non related things like the oscillator and talkback systems.
Remember the supply rail capacitors ARE in the audio path but the effect of them is different to the more obvious 'in series with' positions.
Matt S
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Addict
Thanks. Our studio was re-modeled a few years back and the shop manuals were unfortunately misplaced by someone during that time.

I'll probably just do all the caps on every card. Aside from the 651 module, is there any other area I should address?
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Hi
There is a card in the rear or underneath which has a load of 'unity gain' buffers which if I remember are to do with monitoring or metering. This could usefully be recapped.
Matt S
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search