The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Otari MX5050 External Transport / "Internal" Transport Issues
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Otari MX5050 External Transport / "Internal" Transport Issues

Hello all. I've been perusing these forums for quite some time, and I've never really found the need to post anything because there's almost always a number of articles for every topic. But I can't seem to find any info on this particular problem.

I've recently acquired an Otari MX5050 BII, and up until a few days ago, everything seemed functional and very cool. This is my first tape machine so forgive me if I don't know all the obvious things, but I really got this as a "learning" deck. The only concern I had was that the pots are noisy and will have to be replaced eventually, but I see that as a project for down the road, and not so much a concern because I got this for basically a steal. But now, the record, rewind, and fast forward switches seem to no longer function. There is no mechanical sound when I press the fast-winding buttons, so it's not like it is trying to go but can't. It simply does nothing in response to pressing those buttons. Everything else seems functional.

My gut-feeling is that it is an electrical problem with the transport. I don't have the proper equipment to test to see what's passing current and what's not, and likely nor the proper training as well, but what I do know is that an external transport can be had at a reasonable price. What do you guys think? Will a functional external transport completely replace the functionality of the internal transport, or is it dependent on the operational condition of the internal transport? Can that conclusion even be drawn without further testing? Thanks!!!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Why not just fix it? For this you need the following:
A full service manual.
A person qualified to work on it.
A selection of standard tools.
You may or may not have all these things.
If you don't have them, get them.

If you are not qualified yourself, get someone who is.
I can never understand why people in these forums are so reluctant to just take the unit to someone who knows. Is it because studio techs have a really bad rep? Too many cowboys out there?
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radardoug View Post
I can never understand why people in these forums are so reluctant to just take the unit to someone who knows. Is it because studio techs have a really bad rep? Too many cowboys out there?
It is because techs charge by the hour. He bought the Otari "for a steal" so he likely does not want to spend three or four "steals" to repair it.

Mike

Last edited by mjrippe; 31st December 2010 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: misquote
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Radardoug, you are absolutely right. But, the external transport was just an idea I had, and I was just checking to see if anyone else had a similar problem and knew if that worked. Seems reasonable to try something you know works before spending more on a "learning" tool.

Upon closer inspection of the schematics I have, it appears that the optional external transport does not contain the logic components required for playback, and that these are housed within the machine itself. I would guess that these are what are at fault, but I'm going to have someone else take a look to be sure.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

what is the point of this forum. if you just say "go and get some one to fix it?"
Old 31st December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaslilbrother View Post
Hello all. I've been perusing these forums for quite some time, and I've never really found the need to post anything because there's almost always a number of articles for every topic. But I can't seem to find any info on this particular problem.

I've recently acquired an Otari MX5050 BII, and up until a few days ago, everything seemed functional and very cool. This is my first tape machine so forgive me if I don't know all the obvious things, but I really got this as a "learning" deck. The only concern I had was that the pots are noisy and will have to be replaced eventually, but I see that as a project for down the road, and not so much a concern because I got this for basically a steal. But now, the record, rewind, and fast forward switches seem to no longer function. There is no mechanical sound when I press the fast-winding buttons, so it's not like it is trying to go but can't. It simply does nothing in response to pressing those buttons. Everything else seems functional.

My gut-feeling is that it is an electrical problem with the transport. I don't have the proper equipment to test to see what's passing current and what's not, and likely nor the proper training as well, but what I do know is that an external transport can be had at a reasonable price. What do you guys think? Will a functional external transport completely replace the functionality of the internal transport, or is it dependent on the operational condition of the internal transport? Can that conclusion even be drawn without further testing? Thanks!!!
Been a long time since I used a 5050 but tape machines generally have a tape sensing switch (often on a swing guide) and if the machine is not sensing that the tape is threaded and ready to go the transport switches are locked out. Something to check.
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
if the machine is not sensing that the tape is threaded and ready to go the transport switches are locked out.
I've heard that's a pretty common thing to overlook, but the tape sensing switch seems fine because the play switch works fine on the transport when the swing guide is up. That's why I'm leaning towards a problem with wiring, or a bad component, or something like that.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've heard that's a pretty common thing to overlook, but the tape sensing switch seems fine because the play switch works fine on the transport when the swing guide is up. That's why I'm leaning towards a problem with wiring, or a bad component, or something like that.
keep at it bro, you will get there.
Old 31st December 2010

Quote:
I'd keep working the front panel controls before going inside the recorder.

Here's a long shot. Exercise the "edit" switch. It is possible that it may be caught in a position that could be locking out the other transport controls.
I've run into more than one old deck that needs quite a bit of switch, sensor, solenoid exercising to get the transport to work again.
Old 1st January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
Exercise the "edit" switch. It is possible that it may be caught in a position that could be locking out the other transport controls.
I've run into more than one old deck that needs quite a bit of switch, sensor, solenoid exercising to get the transport to work again.
Beautiful. A goofy edit switch is definitely the issue. I didn't even think about that. This old deck still has life left in it! Thanks, guys. heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search