The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is it possible to make one's own USB gear?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Is it possible to make one's own USB gear?

Anyone with basic electronics and soldering skills can make pedal clones etc but how hard is it to make a basic USB product? I have this idea I'm toying with. I'm thinking something really simple like a metal box with a couple of buttons and a USB1.1 connection so I could set the box up to perform certain actions on my computer. Preferably without drivers.

Is it even possible to make something like that yourself... without serious R&D and a big budget?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

You can build anything you want as long as you have the know how what your thinking may prove extremely difficult and time consuming and would require drivers. Also I don't know why I'm answering this because I know very little about usb technology
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yeah, I guess so, I was just curious because USB is data-related so that might be a whole different playing field. Regular clones and stuff is no problem, like I said. As far as I know, USB1.1 is so widely supported that it should be possible to use products without drivers but I might be wrong. I'd be interested in making it a MIDI too btw, that would work just as well.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

As an example Snyderphonics Instruments - products

It is seen as a hid device in windows and works with a maxmsp objekt.I dont know how many people besides jeff were involved and no idea about costs of development but its doable.No idea if its usb 2 or 1.1.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Interesting, seems to be at least doable then.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

several of the major microprocessor companies offer canned solutions for basic USB firmware but you still need to be able to do something with the micro.

JR
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
Can't you just cannibalise a cheap USB keyboard? Figure out the matrix and you can connect 103(?) different switches to do whatever you like!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hale Microsystems Products

Something like that would be a good place to start, I do confess its a while since I read anything on it.

class compliant, and you can apparently attach pots/buttons straight to it.

I did see a project somewhere on the net, doing just that. sorry can't remember where though.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

You should try Arduino.

http://www.arduino.cc

It's a very easy to program platform, based on an Atmel processor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search