The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MAJOR computer issues Audio Interfaces
Old 29th December 2010
Here for the gear

Delete my account

How do I delete my account?
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear
Your post is a bit unclear. You are using and Intel Mac, but are you using OS X or Windows 7? Unclear in your post.

When you get the message that you are "running out of CPU power" that has nothing to do with the disk drive access. It means that the CPU's in your computer are running at maximum. You would need to remove some processes (insert effects, send effects, etc.) to lessen the load on the CPU's.
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrebes View Post
Your post is a bit unclear. You are using and Intel Mac, but are you using OS X or Windows 7? Unclear in your post.

When you get the message that you are "running out of CPU power" that has nothing to do with the disk drive access. It means that the CPU's in your computer are running at maximum. You would need to remove some processes (insert effects, send effects, etc.) to lessen the load on the CPU's.
I'm running Windows 7. That partition has more available space. I only have 5 plugins running and it tells me that I'm running out of cpu power. I do know the difference between disk usage and cpu usage. However, just the other day I was mixing a 24 track session with a multitude of plugins and didn't receive a single error.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

is that really a MAJOR issue though? lol. There are literally a thousand threads about this all over the internet as its a common problem:

Try editing the cpu usage options. It's probably your solution since your pc should be plenty fast to run a few tracks. Did you try those options? Its on google.

It is a really wierd problem though, its really a software problem, i believe. On my studio PC it would stop with that error all the time no matter how many tracks i had. I overclocked 5% and changed those options - suddenly i can use over a 100 tracks with 100 plugins and no slowdown? lol wat thats not a proper piece of software, its a liar!
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGeekRI View Post
OK I've exhausted all options and I don't know where else to turn. I just dropped a ton of money on PT 9 and an M-Audio Profire 2626. I tracked my first drum set with the new setup and once I finished my edits I started working on drumagog. I have a kick, snare, OH L&R and a room mic. I have a compressor on each channel and I keep getting the infamous "you are running out of CPU power" message.

I have an intel mac dual core 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM and am recording to my internal drive. I've partitioned my HDD and am currently using Windows 7 64-bit mostly because I have more space on that drive. I barely got the session recorded and I can't even mix it. Am I missing something? Can anyone shed any light on this problem?
Have you tried going into the setup preferences and changing the buffers from the default level 2 to level 4?
Maybe that would help keep it from crapping out so quickly
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Windows 7 does use quite a bit more resources than XP, I'm wondering if that intensifies doing the cross-platform thing that you are doing with a Mac. I know that I am using more RAM as well, like around a gig without any real apps open. I am also using about 20% CPU (intel Q6600 quadcore 2.4 ghz) with Win 7 Pro (pretty light and stripped as well) in the no apps situation. You may need more machine than you currently have.
Old 30th December 2010
Here for the gear

I say it's a major issues because there's no rhyme or reason to it. Like I said earlier, I've mixed a full session with no problems but now it's being very temperamental. I have changed every available setting at my disposal. I've increased/decreased buffers, removed plugins, and I've been monitoring my cup usage within PT. I've never exceeded 12% and yet it still crashes. The only reason I posted here is because I have tried everything I can think of.
Old 31st December 2010
Here for the gear

I would like to take this time to apologize to the entire gearslutz community for evidently asking a ******** question. Rest assured it will not happen again. If I ever find myself needing help, I will be sure not to seek an answer.
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGeekRI View Post
I would like to take this time to apologize to the entire gearslutz community for evidently asking a ******** question. Rest assured it will not happen again. If I ever find myself needing help, I will be sure not to seek an answer.
It seems like people were trying to help.
I hope you are just a kid because you are acting like it..
Grow up son.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

MAJOR computer issues

Buying a Mac to run windows 7 is like buying a Porsche and putting square tires on it.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

MAJOR computer issues

In all seriousness though. If you have massive edits, and a few high powered plugs, and you're running off of the internal drive you absolutely will experience drop outs. Use an external drive. Do your edits and then consolidate them on a duplicate playlist so it's all one nice piece of audio, print your drum samples. Adjust the buffer, playback settings, etc. Go to blackviper.com and do some gaming tweaks to the ****ty windows OS, just don't go to milfhunter.com unless you want viruses.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search