The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Opening up my Soundcraft Spirit Studio 32/8 Dynamic Microphones
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Head

Opening up my Soundcraft Spirit Studio 32/8

Does anybody have any tips on getting one of these guys open? It looks like i will have to take all the knobs, faders, jacks, and pot-nuts off to lift the top panel.

I just got this console. It's dirty (not terribly) and i don't even want to waste my time getting it situated because i know it will need some cleaning. Hopefully, it won't take a month to clean all the contacts and scrape the funk.

Thanks for your help and sorry if this is in the wrong spot, it certainly isn't a very techy question.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

try and go in through the bottom. The tried and true method is to just start taking out screws and bolts that look like they are holding on a plate of the case. When that doesn't work you start taking out the rest of the screws.

you should just be able to pull off the knobs. just use a comressor to blow out the inside but do it gently. then spray fader lube or your electronics cleaner of choice in the little holes on the back of the potentiometers and exercise those things. I mean twist, twist, twist.
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

Sounds like a plan. The trick will be finding someone to help me lift it up and put it back.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
. just use a comressor to blow out the inside but do it gently. then spray fader lube or your electronics cleaner of choice in the little holes on the back of the potentiometers and exercise those things. I mean twist, twist, twist.
compressor? Oh, ok, that kind of compressor heh
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Got it open.

The two pieces on either side of the desk must be removed as they connect to the back plate. There are four screws on the face closest to each side that need to come out.

The pots are tricky because they aren't the "typical" ones so no dice, for me for now, on getting any contact cleaner in there.

At any rate, I got rid of a couple small cobwebs, a piece of a leaf, and any bool**** stuck in the trs jacks that are intelligently (dfegad) placed on the top of the console.

EDIT:

Also, for those of you who might be attempting similar feats: be careful when you remove the back plate, components that are soldered to boards are mounted to the face which can wobble quite a bit without the support of the back. In other words, try not to let the thing wobble around too much, potential to crack solder joints exists and would suck balce to fix.

Last edited by kjs; 3rd January 2011 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: MOAR
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

whats the inside like?

is it one big smt board? or is it thru-hole? I'm guessing 1 smt board.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

When you say smt, i picture little tiny components that must be installed by an industrial soldering robot. No sir, looked like (looks like, in my memory) thru-hole. Looked surprisingly well constructed on the inside.

I wish so badly that each channel was removable from the top, as a module, it's not even funny.

I took a picture with my phone to mock a friend, but it's useless to demonstrate. If a channel goes down I'll open it back up and take pictures, but lifting this thing, flipping it over, flipping it back over, and over again...and then again, again, and again to get the screws back in killed me inside. Haven't even properly fired it up yet, waiting for a few necessities first.
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs View Post
but lifting this thing, flipping it over, flipping it back over, and over again...and then again, again, and again to get the screws back in killed me inside. Haven't even properly fired it up yet, waiting for a few necessities first.
i know where your coming from with that, I'm working on a studiomaster, and its a pain. I can power it on with lid off, but I have to do it with board flipped over you try and test something and then you realize half the channel faders are now on!

makes auditioning subtle changes between op-amps errm not very reliable!
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Speaking of Studiomasters, has anyone seen the movie "Still Crazy"? When the band is rehearsing for a show in the concert hall (before the signer and the bassist have an altercation) there is a studiomaster board pictured. It's quite big, seems like 24 channels. Does anyone know what model that was?

I'll try and take a screenshot tonight.

I see Studiomasters as being the equivalent of Allen&Heath boards, at least in similarity. I have no idea about sound...
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

they sound okay, considering what you pay for them.
Old 3rd March 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs View Post
Does anybody have any tips on getting one of these guys open? It looks like i will have to take all the knobs, faders, jacks, and pot-nuts off to lift the top panel.

I just got this console. It's dirty (not terribly) and i don't even want to waste my time getting it situated because i know it will need some cleaning. Hopefully, it won't take a month to clean all the contacts and scrape the funk.

Thanks for your help and sorry if this is in the wrong spot, it certainly isn't a very techy question.
Did you clean/relube the faders and pots? If yes, may I ask how you did that and what you used to it (for example what kind of cleaner)?

The faders on my Spirit Studio 24 are not scratchy or anything, but their tracks are *completely* dry which makes me wonder if it's damaging to use them without some kind of lubrication.

Thanks,
j
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search