The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Altec 1589b Trim Mod Single-Channel Preamps
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Head

Altec 1589b Trim Mod

I've been using an altec 1589b for a few years now for different sounds and i came to a realization recently.

I will most likely never use this as a mixer and while i love the distortion and lofi kind of sound you can get with it, it would be so much more versatile with a output/trim pot to attenuate the output level when running the input so hot.

i'm thinking of removing the channel 2 pot on the front and swapping in this feature. just curious where in the schematic you guys think this could be best implemented. i am by no means a tech but am good with solder and can read a schematic. just want to do this right and let the tech guys teach me the best approach.

i'm also thinking about replacing the channel 1 pot with a different value to see if i can increase the "useable" portion of the preamp. with most mics this thing starts distorting after about the first quarter of turn. will resistance substitution work this way?

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

here is a link to the schematic:

http://www.bayoucables.com/altec/Alt...B-MixerAmp.pdf
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

so i was able to look at the back of the unit with a flashlight yesterday and noticed that the pigtail output xlr that was there when i got it is hooked up to the 150 ohm option. is this right? should i be using the 600 ohm out for line level inputs?

maybe thats my whole problem...
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

attenuator

Pardon the sales spam but a 600 ohm attenuator should do the trick nicely if you wire it in right after the output tranny. There's a pretty straight forward pdf wiring diagram near the bottom of the page.

Best, Jeff
Old 3rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Bwack, I was gonna suggest the same thing! That should sound pretty great.
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Head

Altec 1589b Trim Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin-gear
Pardon the sales spam but a 600 ohm attenuator should do the trick nicely if you wire it in right after the output tranny. There's a pretty straight forward pdf wiring diagram near the bottom of the page.

Best, Jeff

perfect. thanks!!!

and dan... i'll be calling in a few days when i start my drip opto!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search