The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
using external preamps with interface Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 22nd December 2010
using external preamps with interface

*Feel free to move this post, I know its probably in the wrong topic.*

Recently bought a couple old external preamp just wondering how exactly to use them the mosrt efficient way. When I go line out of my pre into my interface I can boost the gain in two places, on my pre obviously and the other one is the line gain on my interface. I would assume this is some line amp that is being adjusted on my interface. What is the most efficient way to use my preamp? What exactly does the line gain do on my interface?

If I keep the line gain very low and use just the pre amp gain, the pre amp begins to distort. I would assume I put the line gain on the interface halfway and use the pre to turn it up to the correct level?
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Hi
For minimum noise the interface LINE input should be used with as little gain on that as possible. Aim for practically all the gain to be applied by your external 'pre'.
If you are wanting colouration you can mess with the gain controls as you wish of course but putting gain on at the interface will bring up noise as well.
Matt S
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search