The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar Pedal as insert Effect Dynamic Microphones
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Guitar Pedal as insert Effect

Hi,

I have a Boss RE20. (crappy digital emulation of ROLAND RE201)

Can I use this at line level from a desk?

Or should I be re-amping --> DI'ing?

or any little contraption I can make to help?

thanks
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

It's one of the boss dual pedals, right? I believe they're designed to be run at guitar or line level.

I recently built a 6 channel converter box based on the JLM audio Dingo Pup pcb to interface pedals and old tape echos into my rig. Works amazingly.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet View Post
It's one of the boss dual pedals, right? I believe they're designed to be run at guitar or line level.

I recently built a 6 channel converter box based on the JLM audio Dingo Pup pcb to interface pedals and old tape echos into my rig. Works amazingly.
yes its one of the boss dual pedals, i tried it, it just sounds so dull? probably just how the pedal is! have to use as a send and mix with the return dry signal then,

might check out the JLM audio dingo pup!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

What you have is impedance mismatching. The pedal is made to see an impedance of around 200K to 500Kohms. You're providing it with an impedance of about 10 to 50kOhm, albeit at a higher (voltage) level. Adding a resistor in series will increase input impedance, but will reduce the voltage at the same time. Oddly enough this will not provide the desired effect. You would need to make an input buffer amplifier with an opamp and design it so it has the proper output impedance.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2N1305 View Post
What you have is impedance mismatching. The pedal is made to see an impedance of around 200K to 500Kohms. You're providing it with an impedance of about 10 to 50kOhm, albeit at a higher (voltage) level. Adding a resistor in series will increase input impedance, but will reduce the voltage at the same time. Oddly enough this will not provide the desired effect. You would need to make an input buffer amplifier with an opamp and design it so it has the proper output impedance.
2n, any schematics to point me at?

i probably have everything neccesary except the knowledge!

lots of spares kicking round at the moment,

breadboard, wire, op-amps, caps, resistors, etc.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Maniac

Try this signal path:

Insert Send > "reamp" device > pedal > DI box > mic preamp > Insert Return

I usually have one or two of these loops set up during a mix. Very useful for putting guitar pedals into console insert points or hanging them off aux sends. Plenty of adjustability to optimize (or purposely mess up) gain structure on either side of the pedal.

As far as a reamp type interface box goes, Cuniberti's box works very well, as do the Radial and Little Lab products.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
2n, any schematics to point me at?

i probably have everything neccesary except the knowledge!

lots of spares kicking round at the moment,

breadboard, wire, op-amps, caps, resistors, etc.
I will after work. (tomorrow you'll have them)
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2N1305 View Post
I will after work. (tomorrow you'll have them)
thanks, thanks for your help with the studiomaster, I'm doing the soundcraft star ground mod to it at the moment!
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Sorry for the delay. I felt sick after work. Couldn't do much. Now here is the something that can help you out:
Operational Amplifier Circuits

Also, on second thought, putting a resistor in series with the output just seems like a better and simple idea. It will attenuate the signal a bit, but it still be in the ballpark of the voltage required to drive a line input and it will isolate the pedal form the board (and conversely).

Make sure you weren't overloading the line input, that could very well be what the problem was (still is?).

You know what, finally just an emitter follower circuit with an NPN transistor should be fine. 22K as emitter resistor should be OK.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search