The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fender Jazz Bass pickups
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Fender Jazz Bass pickups

Hi

I was thinking of removing both volume potentiometer and the tone pot on my fender jazz bass and connect the pickups direct to the output of the guitar . Is this possible ?

The reason why I was thinking about it is my fender Rhodes piano . When I connect the cable direct inside of the Rhodes and bypass the volume & bass boost pot on it it sounds much better . So I thought it would be same with the Jazz bass .

What do you think about this idea ?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

It will sound louder. This will offer the temporary perception that it sounds better, at the very least. It might also actually make it sound better, or it might not.

It will also be brighter. This might be what you want for a bass, but very well might be the opposite of what you want for a bass.

I know a telecaster with its bridge pickup tied straight to the output jack will tear your head off like an icepick-- way way bright, more so than is really usable in most situations (sometimes you want to tear peoples' heads off, though).

It is possible to fit a switch that bypasses all the controls and wires the pickup straight to the jack. It is not good enough to just shunt 'around' the controls-- you must take the controls out of the circuit completely or they will still offer a path to ground for loading.

If you get a DPDT push/pull pot/switch to fit, then you can do this without permanent modification.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Instead of taking that stuff out, throw in a bypass switch. I have this on one of my custom made guitars, and it is quite handy to get a little volume boost, but to get the full tonal characteristics of the pickups. Put the switch after the pickup selector.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks , great ideas !
Any more tips
Old 21st December 2010
Les
Lives for gear

I built a p-bass type last year and used a "varitone" rotary switch rather than a tone control, as I do with guitars.

This switches in various shunt capacitors and RC combinations, and allows the midrange peak from resonance with the pickup inductance to be swept over a wide frequency range.

One setting can be open (no capacitor) for highest frequency peak from the capacitance of the cable only.

Works great, easy to do.
Old 22nd December 2010
Here for the gear

you could replace the pots with no-load potentiometers which will esentially by-pass the control. No other drilling or mod required and you would still have volume and tone control available should you need it.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search