The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam MS-16 Eatin' Tape... Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

Tascam MS-16 Eatin' Tape...

Hey guys...my friend gave me an MS-16. I finally got some tape for it. The machine is working except for one problem. When I load up a reel, rewind and fast-forward work perfectly. When I press play the tape runs for a few seconds but then gets pushed upwards between the capstan and the pinch roller. This misaligns the tape on the heads and also forces it into the cap at the top of the guides. The problem is much worse at the beginning of the tape. By the last ten minutes, it stops happening.

I can't tell why the machine is doing this. I was hoping someone might have some advice on how to fix the problem. Thanks very much. Best regards, Tim.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

hey tim,

transport issues are really hard to pinpoint/diagnose because there are so many moving parts that can result in the same issue.

it sounds to me that one of two things may be happening:

generally when tape rides up (or down) it's because the capstan motor is improperly shimmed. it has to be EXACTLY perpendicular to the desired tape path. shimming is tough, and takes a lot of time.

it also could be happening due to your tensions being way off, mainly the supply reel tension. i've seen this happen on other decks when there is no back tension on the supply reel (left) , see if there's slack between the reel and the first guide, and/or drag your finger on the reel to create a slight bit of tension to see if it helps out.

the best bet is to shoot some videos of it failing and send them to me to see what's what. or we could work on it via skype.

chris mara

Old 20th December 2010
When I had an MS16 back in the dark ages (late 80s), this was a sign of a worn-out or really dirty pinch-roller (either the tire or bearings). Before going crazy, try swapping the roller with a new or different one to see if the problem goes away or changes in symptoms.

We used to keep a spare pinch roller with that machine, so we could clean them (with rubber cleaner!) outside of sessions, since this became more severe with some tape formulations (sticky shed is never good), and really caked up the rollers to a point where cleaning was difficult (but possible). When working with analog tape handling is a critical concern - you rarely have full backups with a single machine, and eating tapes is death.

-d-
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Remember Terry's Rubber Rollers for roller rebuilds. I would say the roller is more likely than shimming the capstan motor. The mechanical setup does not change with time unless you drop the machine and bend it. But rubber rollers die with age.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnash View Post
generally when tape rides up (or down) it's because the capstan motor is improperly shimmed. it has to be EXACTLY perpendicular to the desired tape path.
www.nobraineraudio.com
Exactly. Something in the tape path is not perpendicular or take-up reel tensions are off.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

Hey guys, thanks for your replys. I appreciate your time and efforts to answer my questions. Chris, I've heard you do phone/video consults, I've got some work for you if you are interested. I'd like to start with this problem... Could I send a vid of the machine running to your email?

In my unexpert opinion, I believe the problem is the tension or lack of, in the suppy wheel. The machine is in great shape... The pinch roller looks and feels good. It has been well cleaned. Terry's rubber rollers, good to know! I would be surprised if the capstan was out of whack but stranger thing have happened I suppose. I can only imagine how much of a bitch it is to shim one...

Thanks again... All great info, you guys are the best... Best regards, Tim.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjimbaker View Post
Hey guys, thanks for your replys. I appreciate your time and efforts to answer my questions. Chris, I've heard you do phone/video consults, I've got some work for you if you are interested. I'd like to start with this problem... Could I send a vid of the machine running to your email?
yes tim- i do video alignments and other tape machine trouble-shooting via skype. it's a great way to get to the bottom of things. you can shoot a video and get it to my either by yousendit.com or dropbox. my email is [email protected] . if you have to shoot a few clips to capture the issue from a few different angles- go for it. i'll review and try my best to diagnose. we can also jump on skype and try some things too.

later,

chris mara

Old 21st December 2010
Gear Head

Guys, Chris Mara was right... It seems the problem was with the supply reel tension. I found the little hatch that houses the trim pots for setting the tensions. Things are running smoothly now. Thanks for all of your advice. Best regards, Tim.

Last edited by Timjimbaker; 23rd December 2010 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Chris Mara solved the problem, wanted to give him credit
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

awesome tim! i love a simple (and free!) fix!

-chris mara

Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnash View Post
awesome tim! i love a simple (and free!) fix!

-chris mara
www.welcometo1979.com
www.nobraineraudio.com
Awesome! It's great to see the tape community get together here on this forum! I'm still hoping for a tape sub-forum soon!

BTW, Chris, do you specialize in MCI or do you also do Studer?
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
BTW, Chris, do you specialize in MCI or do you also do Studer?
i specialize in restoring MCI decks, but do alignments and assessments on all makes/models.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search