The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
High pitched electrical 'whine' coming from certain gear + electricity switch box Modular Synthesizers
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

High pitched electrical 'whine' coming from certain gear + electricity switch box

Hi

2 months ago i moved into a new house with the intent on dedicating the ground floor to the studio. I'm finally nearly ready to go and have been setting my gear up..

It's quiet here, and i've noticed that with some gear - eg my 24" Dell monitor, my Mac Pro, SSL X-Rack, Apple Airport Express - i get a very high pitched, annoying sound coming from the actual units when they are plugged in. These are the only items i've heard whining away so far, i wouldn't be surprised if there were more. The X-Rack for example, doesn't even need to be turned on, in order to make the squeal. It's really loud. Turning it on makes no difference to it.

I wasn't sure where it was coming from, and why other items don't seem to make the noise. The gear is all plugged into various surge protectors, i haven't chained any of them together or anything like that (yet).

It's very noticeable to me, especially when some of the gear is on at the same time. I do not know if the sound would come out in recordings as i haven't gotten that far yet.

Downstairs in the main room is also the switch box, which i noticed faintly makes the same whining noise as the other items i listed.

The building is an old stone walled barn in the countryside, and there is an electricity pylon about 100m away from the house.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be, and what could be done to combat it?

The property is rented, but i need to figure it out as it's really giving me a headache.

Many thanks!
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

High pitched electrical 'whine' coming from certain gear + electricity switch box

The sound just stopped. I did manage to record the sound coming from my X-Rack when turning the plug socket power on/off though, with my iPhone. Check it out here, (it's only small): www.roughproductions.co.uk/elec_noise.wav

It did this the other day. I had only the Mac Pro and monitor plugged in, and it eventually went away. But this time I have a lot more gear plugged in, and the chorus of noise was higher. I'm obviously worried that this will damage my equipment, or come out in recordings. At the least, it gave me a headache, so I'd love to figure out what the issue was/is.

Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search