The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
[Hypothetical Question] Would a super conductive cable be better or worse for music? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

[Hypothetical Question] Would a super conductive cable be better or worse for music?

Would a super conductor cable improve sound quality or increase artifacts?
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

well put down the bong and come back with the rest of us... i'll try to work it through the next time i'm blottoed but in the mean time the point is moot... then need to cool everything to within degrees of absolute zero will keep many of us from trying this.... know what i mean???
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

A wire with no resistance, would in principle exhibit less interaction with load impedance so would be more accurate.

JR
Old 18th December 2010
Smile

And FYI Lot's of folks are working on room temperature superconductors, using ceramic's and palladium hydrides, but nobody is there yet, or even that close, but when they get to this [and they will]-our power grids will really change! We will be able to generate wind or solar power where it makes sense [wind corridors and the desert] and transmit it to large cities and manufacturing zones. I think that we are now at a few degrees above absolute zero [around 273 Kelvin], which doesn't seem like much, but it does demonstrate that it is possible above abs. 0...

As for audio, if you ask the high end hifi folks, zero resistance, lot's of skin effect, and no capacitance seem rather attractive, even to me... :-}

As Mr Roberts points out [and he is a VERY respected audio engineer], zero loading effects [from the wire], makes for a perfect transfer function!

Soooooo maybe not in our lifetime, but likely in this century, especially if we start investing in science and education as much as we do on war and war toys, but I digress...

Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeaudiofan View Post
And now at a few degrees above absolute zero [around 273 Kelvin]

oh we're havin a heat wave... a tropical heatwave...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search