The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question regarding studio mixer wiring
Old 16th December 2010
Here for the gear

Question regarding studio mixer wiring

I know this may be a newbie question but I'll ask anyway.

I still am not able to get down the wiring process of wiring the studio mixer to the recording source (ie; tape, hd recorder, computer). I assume to go from each channel's direct out to the source, if you don't have the luxury of firewire or a completely digital board. My question is how do you get each of the channels you've already recorded, to overdub, to come back through the board. I know some boards have tape sends and other inputs other than inserts and line ins but not many I have seen have this.

Just wondering the process, sorry if it seems like a silly question. Thanks!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skalin View Post
I know this may be a newbie question but I'll ask anyway.

I still am not able to get down the wiring process of wiring the studio mixer to the recording source (ie; tape, hd recorder, computer). I assume to go from each channel's direct out to the source, if you don't have the luxury of firewire or a completely digital board. My question is how do you get each of the channels you've already recorded, to overdub, to come back through the board. I know some boards have tape sends and other inputs other than inserts and line ins but not many I have seen have this.

Just wondering the process, sorry if it seems like a silly question. Thanks!
really depends on the mixer.

some have bus or group channels than can double as tape ins,

loads of possibilities but it depends on the mixer.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

imo... it's more about the converters than the mixer...example... if you have nothing but a stereo pair as an output you aint gonna do alotta analog summing... now if ya had maybe 24i/o then ya can go further... make sense??? i'm in the middle of a long term project that will have 16 i/o's for the mixer 8ins for flavor pre's and 8 outs for monitoring and cue mixes...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search