The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need some help with Mineral Wool issue...
Old 2nd January 2006
Lives for gear

Need some help with Mineral Wool issue...

Hey guys!

I am in the process of putting mineral wool in my ceiling and am planning on placing fabric over it. My question is regarding dust from the fibers of the mineral wool over time coming through the fabric since you want to use some thing that allows the sound to go through the fabric.

So here is my question what is the best way to eliminate the mineral wool dust from coming through? I was thinking of solutions and one that came to mind would be to spray a thin coating of hair spray on the mineral wool before placing the fabric over it. I think doing something like that wouldn't affect the acoustics of the wool but would 'knit' the top portion of the wool together...but what do you think? I really don't want to be breathing this stuff in for a lot of years you know? There has got to be some sort of solution for this.

Thanks for any help you may offer!!
Old 2nd January 2006
Lives for gear

Provided mineral and glass fibre to behave similarly I am surprised myself how their is no dust coming through rather rough fabric in my booth. However, you´re probably right trying to seal it best as possible.

I´ve seen people taking two layers, first some sort of very thin cellulose looking sheet and fabric after that. Guess someone will be able to tell more precisely what that thin sheet is named like, though.

Ruphus
Old 2nd January 2006
Lives for gear

You can use polyester batting materieal...comes in a roll, and is about 1" thick uncompressed. Should stop the fibers from coming out.

Cheers,

Kris
Old 3rd January 2006
A33
Gear Addict

Cheap hairspray is good for holding in the loose fibers
Old 3rd January 2006
Gear Addict

In fact there is no point in using "acoustically transparent" fabric for this. All that matters is that the fabric is not reflective. The point of the mineral wool is to absorb, so what would it matter if the fabric is also contributing to the absorption?
Just find something soft and you're good to go. I find that rolls of black weed-block fabric work perfectly and are very affordable.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search