The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Small Clone guitar chorus pedal not working
Old 11th September 2010
Gear Nut

Small Clone guitar chorus pedal not working

Hi all,
I have a Small Clone pedal - not sure how old, it was bought second hand, and all of a sudden it’s not working properly. It still allows sound through both switched on and bypassed, but it’s not providing the proer chorus sound anymore. It does however, sound different when switched on - I think it sounds like the basis of the chorus effect is there but not modulating at all - just ‘stationary’. Also, when flicking the Depth switch and holding a note, there’s a definite change of sound. I've attached a short clip of myself strumming a chord, and flicking the Depth switch to demonstrate the above.
Can anyone help out?
Thanks in advance
Will
Attached Files

Small Clone.mp3 (44.3 KB, 1266 views)

Old 13th September 2010
Lives for gear

Well first things first: thank you for providing a sound clip, often this isn't necessary, but some other times, it really helps. In your case, I'm not sure, it was working then it stopped, so to me it looks like a loose wire symptom(I hear you other techies just, patience). I recommend you take it apart carefully and look for any loose wire ends that go to the board and to the potentiometers or controls.

OK, the sad news is, it could actually be the BBD integrated circuits. If you don't already know, BBD ICs are becoming hard to come by, and I don't mean Radio Shack doesn't carry them anymore, I mean, they aren't being made anymore, anywhere. (except maybe Panasonic). I do not know nor have the time right now to check what's in yours, but here's a suggestion, pop that pedal open and click a pic or two for us and we'll see what we can do.

cheers,

2N
Old 14th September 2010
Gear Nut

Hey 2N, thanks for the response!
I've got a potential solution from a guy on the Electro-Harmonix forum regarding which IC needs replacement, so I'll test that out and see how I go, and if its no good I'll be back here with pictures!
Cheers
Will
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

yeah, well he could very well be right. At least you were able to speak to someone there, that's good. Was your pedal built in New York? (I think that's where they used to be made, a long time ago)
Old 22nd February 2016
Here for the gear

Small clone problem

Hello, im experimenting the same situation with my small clone, ive sent my problem to their forum but received no answer, could you explain what it is that they answered or what solution they gave you... Thank you very much for any help you can provide
Old 22nd February 2016
Gear Nut

Hey mate,
I can't really remember what ended up fixing it, but I reckon it involved replacing the IC's - MN3007 and CD4047. Not sure which one was the problem, but it is working again...
Sorry I can't be more help!
Cheers
Will
Old 26th February 2016
Gear Nut

Sounds like the LFO isn't working. Check any capacitors around the LFO op-amp (IC2), especially the tantalum cap (older ones are notorious for going either s/c or o/c).
Whenever I have had LFO issues with modulation pedals, it has always been related to the capacitors.

Hope this helps,
Mark.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear