The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for pcb-based DIY guitar amp project
Old 2nd December 2005
Gear nut

Looking for pcb-based DIY guitar amp project

Hi!

Been looking around for a nice, simple, well documented DIY tube guitar amp project. It will be strictly for studio use, so preferably a low power one, like 1 watt or so.

There´s obviously a lot of amp projects out there, but pretty much all of them seems to be based on point-to-point wiring, which just seems like a real PITA. Is anyone aware of a DIY amp project complete with PCB layout?

I got the equipment to make my own PCB´s, but at this moment not the software or know-how to design the layouts.

cheers /Arka
Old 2nd December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka
Hi!

Been looking around for a nice, simple, well documented DIY tube guitar amp project. It will be strictly for studio use, so preferably a low power one, like 1 watt or so.

There´s obviously a lot of amp projects out there, but pretty much all of them seems to be based on point-to-point wiring, which just seems like a real PITA. Is anyone aware of a DIY amp project complete with PCB layout?

I got the equipment to make my own PCB´s, but at this moment not the software or know-how to design the layouts.

cheers /Arka
Hi

Shucks, I was just going to recommend you bought one of these and modified it with a 1/4" jack and a couple of small internal mods.

Three tubes, 60dB of gain, nice tone, and very portable. Pushes out a couple of watts and can drive an external speaker. You even get a magic eye!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heathkit-Signal-...QQcmdZViewItem

I really don't know of a tube kit but this is a DIY project.

Old 2nd December 2005
Gear nut

very interesting!

What internal mods would that have to be? I´m pretty much a novice when it comes to electronics theory, but I´m trying to pick up along the way.

thanks /Arka
Old 2nd December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
very interesting!

What internal mods would that have to be? I´m pretty much a novice when it comes to electronics theory, but I´m trying to pick up along the way.

thanks /Arka
Hi

Nothing too hard but essential to prevent 250v dc shocks!

1. Replace the probe with a 1/4" mono jack.

2. Remove the pair of wires from the noise switch, keeping them together, and insulate them.

3. Remove the wires from the lower binding posts, keeping any pairs soldered together, and insulate them.

4. Not essential but a good idea is to replace the 2 core ac flex with a 3 core flex and plug, to ground the chassis.

Old 2nd December 2005
Gear nut

wow, thats certainly not a lot of work...

checked ebay, there´s a bunch of different Heathkit models out there such as T4 and T2, would those be candidates for such a mod? Any other brands to look out for?

thanks, I greatly appreciate the help!

/Arka
Old 2nd December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
wow, thats certainly not a lot of work...

checked ebay, there´s a bunch of different Heathkit models out there such as T4 and T2, would those be candidates for such a mod? Any other brands to look out for?

thanks, I greatly appreciate the help!

/Arka
Hi

The same basic rules apply to the earlier ones and they have a second input that you can fit a jack to and get an "alternative" sound.

Old 2nd December 2005
Build a real guitar amp. Mojo Music supply has all the stuff to make a tweed champ, a black face Deluxe Reverb and even a Marshall Blues Breaker.

Have fun!

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 2nd December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Build a real guitar amp. Mojo Music supply has all the stuff to make a tweed champ, a black face Deluxe Reverb and even a Marshall Blues Breaker.

Have fun!

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Hi

Low powered and 1 watt?

The kits look pretty darn pricey... $500 - $1000+

Here's the link, anyway.... http://www.mojotone.com/

Old 26th December 2008
Gear interested

you can use protel to design.

you can use protel to design. we will provide free dowloard one our website China tube Guitar amplifier, china guitar amplifier manufacturer, musical instrument chinese manufacturer now, you can send email to me [email protected] I send it to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post
Hi!

cheers /Arka
Old 26th December 2008
Gear maniac

Old 26th December 2008
Gear addict

Old 16th January 2009
Gear interested

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search