The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mackie 16.8 buss problem
Old 1st December 2005
Here for the gear

Mackie 16.8 buss problem

basically i bought a 2nd hand macki 8 bus mixer, it came with a 220watt power adapter and also a 125v power cord. Me being in the uk doesnt allow me to connect this cord directly into the uk socket plug as it's a US 3 pin connector. I understand i need to buy a step down transformer but i don't know what WATT' it should be at. It says the 220watt amp outputs 400wats and is 120vac 50/60 hz. I just don't know what to do,ot have a clue about all this watts and vo;ts stuff can anybody help me with my problem thanks
Old 1st December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRCA
basically i bought a 2nd hand macki 8 bus mixer, it came with a 220watt power adapter and also a 125v power cord. Me being in the uk doesnt allow me to connect this cord directly into the uk socket plug as it's a US 3 pin connector. I understand i need to buy a step down transformer but i don't know what WATT' it should be at. It says the 220watt amp outputs 400wats and is 120vac 50/60 hz. I just don't know what to do,ot have a clue about all this watts and vo;ts stuff can anybody help me with my problem thanks
Hi

I'm a little confused by your description.

I think that Mackies have a built in power supply so the 120v plugs straight into the back of it.

I think you are saying that you have been given a box with a step down transformer (ie the 220 watt power adaptor) but you don't make this clear.

Can you write down literally what it says on that box and describe the cables and sockets fitted to it?

Old 1st December 2005
Here for the gear

I do apologise, I’ll try and explain myself better. The Mackie 8 buss mixing console can only be powered by a Mackie 8 buss power supply. I have a Mackie 220 WATT 8 Buss Power Supply Amp which has two connection on the back. The first connection is a 7 pin female cord which connects directly to the back of the Mackie mixer's 7 pin dc power in. The second connection is a line voltage outlet where I can connect a standard EEC line cord from the amp to a plug socket, this will turn the amp on.

I have a US 125v power cord which I can’t connect directly into my plug socket, so basically I can’t turn on the power supply amp. On the specifications of the power amp it says -

Power consumption:
400watts

Output :

+18v,3.5a;-18V,3.5A;+48V,250MA;+12V,1.5A;+5V,3A

I was thinking of getting a step down transformer, so i could connect the US power cord into it and power up the 8 buss power supplyamp. I’m just confused to what I need to get this amp powered up, so that i can turn on the mixer. Basically if ths 8 buss power supply amp doesnt turn on i can't get the mixer to turn on.

On the back of the power supply right above the volatge line outlet,it says 120VAC, 50/60hz, 400WATTS. I can't connect a standard british 240 power cord into this can i? wouldnt that blow the fuse? i understand i need 110v or something, i'm clueless right now.. thanks
Old 1st December 2005
Lives for gear

NO...you can't ...or something bad will happen.

When using gear from the US in the UK you have two options.

1. get a step down transformer or a variac - you need one that will supply 400watts (at least - best make it 600 watts to give you some headroom - equates to about 2.5 amps for a variac) - probably get one from maplin/cpc/RS.' I know the supply only feeds 220watt - but it's the power drain from the mains that you are interested in.

But I've never been a big fan of small stepdown units so the better solution is....

2. Sometimes there is a 240v/110v switch on it or sometimes the transformer inside the psu has a 240v tap - if it is a bit of rejigging internally will make the unit work fine in the uk with a UK IEC cable - or chop the plug off and put on a 3pin uk plug. Because of the type of question that you are asking I HIGHLY recommend you get a techie to look at this for you (and get him to relabel the unit as 240v).

At this stage don't plug in to a UK socket without doing one of the above.

PS the power supply isn't an amp...its a psu - just looks a bit like an amp !

hope this helps.

si
Old 1st December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRCA
I do apologise, I’ll try and explain myself better. The Mackie 8 buss mixing console can only be powered by a Mackie 8 buss power supply. I have a Mackie 220 WATT 8 Buss Power Supply Amp which has two connection on the back. The first connection is a 7 pin female cord which connects directly to the back of the Mackie mixer's 7 pin dc power in. The second connection is a line voltage outlet where I can connect a standard EEC line cord from the amp to a plug socket, this will turn the amp on.

I have a US 125v power cord which I can’t connect directly into my plug socket, so basically I can’t turn on the power supply amp. On the specifications of the power amp it says -

Power consumption:
400watts

Output :

+18v,3.5a;-18V,3.5A;+48V,250MA;+12V,1.5A;+5V,3A

I was thinking of getting a step down transformer, so i could connect the US power cord into it and power up the 8 buss power supplyamp. I’m just confused to what I need to get this amp powered up, so that i can turn on the mixer. Basically if ths 8 buss power supply amp doesnt turn on i can't get the mixer to turn on.

On the back of the power supply right above the volatge line outlet,it says 120VAC, 50/60hz, 400WATTS. I can't connect a standard british 240 power cord into this can i? wouldnt that blow the fuse? i understand i need 110v or something, i'm clueless right now.. thanks
Hi

I'm still confused although it may just be terminology.... The "Mackie 220 WATT 8 Buss Power Supply Amp" the word Amp at the end threw me as I presume it's just a power supply.

I'm also still confused at a box that says 220 watts and also 400 watts on the same box.

Bottom line, if you get yourself a 240v to 120v at 500 watt step down transformer, I think that you'll cover all bases.

Old 1st December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T
I'm also still confused at a box that says 220 watts and also 400 watts on the same box.

assume it sucking (consuming) 400watts and supplying 220 watts making about 60% efficient !?!? and as hot as 3 x 60 watt lightbulbs

si
Old 1st December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange
assume it sucking (consuming) 400watts and supplying 220 watts making about 60% efficient !?!? and as hot as 3 x 60 watt lightbulbs

si
Hi

It's still doing my head in... if you add all the voltage/currents up it comes to 165 watts.... but losing 55 watts into the ether and then another 180 watts in heat, poor efficiency, and possible damage from mice chewing the cables.

You would think that Mackie would put a voltage selector somewhere in the unit... damn things only cost about 2 bucks... or perhaps (unlikely) it's switched mode and sets its own input voltage. Mind you, with the watts we are losing all over the place, it's not likely to be an efficient switched mode device!

I'll stick with the 500VA stepdown transformer option.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SC5476.html

Old 1st December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T
Hi

It's still doing my head in... if you add all the voltage/currents up it comes to 165 watts.... but losing 55 watts into the ether and then another 180 watts in heat, poor efficiency, and possible damage from mice chewing the cables.

You would think that Mackie would put a voltage selector somewhere in the unit... damn things only cost about 2 bucks... or perhaps (unlikely) it's switched mode and sets its own input voltage. Mind you, with the watts we are losing all over the place, it's not likely to be an efficient switched mode device!

I'll stick with the 500VA stepdown transformer option.

all true....probably just being conservative about power loading at the mackie factory - but still odd.

agreed about the 2bucks for the switch - but i've noticed some gear (fender amps for example) have different transformers for the 'world' market. the domestic US stuff doesn't have the 240V winding. Saving another 2 bucks (4 bucks in total)!

I suspect it wouldn't be switched mode cos it says 120v not 110-240v or whatever.

but yeah a 500watt stepdown would be fine - just don't like 'em and there's always the chance that some idiot is gonna plug it directly into the mains at some stage. You need a BIG STICKER saying 110v only.
Old 2nd December 2005
Here for the gear

thank you very much for the advice both you guys have been great help.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search