The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Capacitors for Neve Re-cap
Old 20th August 2015
  #31
Lives for gear
 
S2udio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi

I think you will find they were OK and lived up to manufacturers specifications.
The issue would really be the 'incorrect' types were specified although I suppose in the day 'Neve' had not intended a 40 year lifespan for their gear.
If you wanted 'military grade' and longer term reliability you should have added another zero to the original price tag.
Matt S
Absolutely Matt...
At the time they would have the required specs,
What I meant to say was ,If they were true vintage, they would have to be,
Old and dried up by now.....so Out of spec and possibly useless.
As for best vintage caps....
Old 21st August 2015
  #32
Gear Maniac
 

Here's the BOM I use for recapping (or building) Neves

https://s3.amazonaws.com/EZ1290/1290BOM26.xls

M.
Old 21st August 2015
  #33
Back in those days LFC's were swapped out of major studios about every 2~3 years. It was competitive to have the newest, best stuff. "Vintage" was a word reserved for wine.

No one anticipated that consoles and gear would last 40 years and still be used. The concept then was to upgrade and replace to 'keep up with the Joneses" down the street.

If Neve had known that his 40 year old consoles would be worth even more today, they would have built and pickled a few of them for their retirement accounts.
Old 25th August 2015
  #34
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Want bass? Replace the output transformer with a Jensen JT-123-BMCF.

There's yer bass.
Hi Jim, could this transformer be used passive at the end output of audio equipment or just used as to put in the path of one piece of equipment to another to yield this bass... sorry if this is a dumb question

Cheers Louis
Old 25th August 2015
  #35
Lives for gear
 

Hi
The earlier comment about 'lack of bass' was on one unit of a 'pair' suggesting strongly that it is the failure of the coupling capacitors at the root of the problem.
Simply 'bolting on' any transformer will not magically restore 'Bass' especially if the unit is already faulty.
While Jensen transformers are very good, they will not have the 'signature' of the types used originally or even more modern equivalents. I believe the step up ratio is also incorrect, taking a unit modified with Jensens even further away from the 'Neve' sound which is surely the point of having such modules?
Matt S
Old 25th August 2015
  #36
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
The earlier comment about 'lack of bass' was on one unit of a 'pair' suggesting strongly that it is the failure of the coupling capacitors at the root of the problem.
Simply 'bolting on' any transformer will not magically restore 'Bass' especially if the unit is already faulty.
While Jensen transformers are very good, they will not have the 'signature' of the types used originally or even more modern equivalents. I believe the step up ratio is also incorrect, taking a unit modified with Jensens even further away from the 'Neve' sound which is surely the point of having such modules?
Matt S
Hi in your opinion do you know which transformers are worth getting to add a little vibe, I've read about utc being good just to put on the output and buy doing so you could also wire it so that it will give you balanced outputs if you added them to a piece of unbalanced equipment, but i'm sort of a novice with this side of thing hence all the questions lol
Old 26th August 2015
  #37
Lives for gear
 

Hi
Simply 'adding transformers' to get some 'vibe' is an unpredictable exercise as it will depend on what is FEEDING the transformer, the transformer itself and the 'load' that the transformer is sending into.
You should then appreciate that having lots of different gear 'feeding' and 'loading' and the fact there are thousands of completely different specification transformers available the chances of finding a specific selection to 'create' the sound YOU want is near impossible.
The original Neve modules were at least 'consistent' in tone so if you have 2 or more that 'sound' different to each other, it suggests they are in need of repair.
The transformers used on the 1073 and other Neve modules have a standing DC current through them and have different characteristics to other types that do not have DC on them.
Also note that when feeding some transformers (particularly line output types) the impedance drops drastically at very low frequencies when the core starts to saturate with the result that some output stages, particularly those using ICs, can go into current limit (self protection) and the 'sound' of this can be horrible.
Matt S
Old 26th August 2015
  #38
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
Simply 'adding transformers' to get some 'vibe' is an unpredictable exercise as it will depend on what is FEEDING the transformer, the transformer itself and the 'load' that the transformer is sending into.
You should then appreciate that having lots of different gear 'feeding' and 'loading' and the fact there are thousands of completely different specification transformers available the chances of finding a specific selection to 'create' the sound YOU want is near impossible.
The original Neve modules were at least 'consistent' in tone so if you have 2 or more that 'sound' different to each other, it suggests they are in need of repair.
The transformers used on the 1073 and other Neve modules have a standing DC current through them and have different characteristics to other types that do not have DC on them.
Also note that when feeding some transformers (particularly line output types) the impedance drops drastically at very low frequencies when the core starts to saturate with the result that some output stages, particularly those using ICs, can go into current limit (self protection) and the 'sound' of this can be horrible.
Matt S
HI, thanks for your detailed explanation, there's a lot of things going on here that a novice in this area like me needs to understand a lot more.
You get these guys on ebay selling pairs of utc transformers already wired to 1/4" jacks...and quite expensive....stating get these strapped across your equipment for instant iron vibe....

l have a valve amp that I want to make balanced and if I got a tad of iron vibe in the process might be a bonus depending on material

cheers Louis
Old 26th August 2015
  #39
Lives for gear
 

Hi
People 'selling' things will use any means possible to make the sale.
If a transformer were to be a 'universal' component where one size fits all it might be easy but there are as I said thousands of types all designed to do different functions within given criteria. Granted some will be similar but you have to know exactly what you want.
'Give it an iron vibe' means nothing.
Matt S
Old 29th August 2015
  #40
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
People 'selling' things will use any means possible to make the sale.
If a transformer were to be a 'universal' component where one size fits all it might be easy but there are as I said thousands of types all designed to do different functions within given criteria. Granted some will be similar but you have to know exactly what you want.
'Give it an iron vibe' means nothing.
Matt S
Mi Mat, are you basically saying that whilst I source an output transformer to turn my tube amp output to balanced, theres no chance of getting a little bit of iron saturation thrown in as a bonus.

Ive seen threads on this forum as well of others who have made tranny farm boxes that give them a selection of flavours depending on how hard they are driven....

Are these guys kidding themselves and its just a placebo effect..

Imo i think there hearing something they like, and I'm a big believer that you don't realise until you've herd it!!!!

And i have read plenty of your posts...respect.....but would love someone to point me in the right direction with this, as there must be good transformers out there expensive or not that for an average or high end piece of equipment for that mater will give you a balanced output, but if also driven right might give you that little bit of iron flavour!!!

Cheers Louis.
Old 29th August 2015
  #41
Lives for gear
 

Hi
What I am saying is that to simply buy 'any old transformer' and hook it up to 'any piece of gear' plugged into 'any other piece of gear' the chances of getting a 'classic iron vibe' (whatever that is) is pretty slim.
Even the guys who make transformers who have many years experience cannot entirely predict exactly how a new design will turn out.
Most transformers will give you a 'balanced' output although with 'cheap' models the actual 'balance' may be a bit suspect particularly at high frequencies.
Matt S
Old 29th August 2015
  #42
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
What I am saying is that to simply buy 'any old transformer' and hook it up to 'any piece of gear' plugged into 'any other piece of gear' the chances of getting a 'classic iron vibe' (whatever that is) is pretty slim.
Even the guys who make transformers who have many years experience cannot entirely predict exactly how a new design will turn out.
Most transformers will give you a 'balanced' output although with 'cheap' models the actual 'balance' may be a bit suspect particularly at high frequencies.
Matt S
Thanks Mat, something to think about... but there are transformers that are raved about,,,Looks like a google search and plenty of reading...Thanks anyway.
Old 30th August 2015
  #43
Lives for gear
 

Hi
Look at the threads about the transformers used for the outputs on Neve 'clones' saying there are differences between the 'originals' and the 'modern' copies even made by the (possibly) original manufacturer.
The transformer required for that is gapped, as it has DC across it. Transformers that do not have a standing DC do not need a gap and this changes the characteristics considerably.
Matt S
Old 30th August 2015
  #44
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
Look at the threads about the transformers used for the outputs on Neve 'clones' saying there are differences between the 'originals' and the 'modern' copies even made by the (possibly) original manufacturer.
The transformer required for that is gapped, as it has DC across it. Transformers that do not have a standing DC do not need a gap and this changes the characteristics considerably.
Matt S
Hi Matt, thanks for your info and apologies to any one else as I don't want to hijack a thread, but do you think Matt that I going down a rabbit hole not worth going down.
Old 30th August 2015
  #45
Lives for gear
 

Hi Louis1
If you don't know exactly what you want you will probably never find it. You may find 'playing' with some transformers interesting and probably ultimately useful as they could be used to help resolve hum or 'computer ground loop' issues so probably won't get wasted.
Jensen transformers are generally regarded as been very 'clean' and may not give much 'vibe' but it all depends what you really want.
Matt S
Old 30th August 2015
  #46
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi Louis1
If you don't know exactly what you want you will probably never find it. You may find 'playing' with some transformers interesting and probably ultimately useful as they could be used to help resolve hum or 'computer ground loop' issues so probably won't get wasted.
Jensen transformers are generally regarded as been very 'clean' and may not give much 'vibe' but it all depends what you really want.
Matt S
Hi Matt its obvious that i don't clearly know what I'm looking for, otherwise i wouldn't be here asking but thanks any way!!!
Old 10th June 2019
  #47
Gear Nut
 
Hans A's Avatar
 

I'm about to recap ten modules from 60-65' with these blue caps. I checked for low leakage axial caps from vishay. These are getting expensive when each module has ALOT of caps. Am i fine choosing a similar but cheaper option? Br H
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump