The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Grease for EQ sliders?
Old 11th May 2010
Grease for EQ sliders?

I just bought a Urei 530 off of eBay and the sliders are hardly moveable, if I use a ton of force I can get them all the way up, or all the way down, but I can't move them smoothly. I tried some contact cleaner, but that didn't help. Is there a grease I can use to loob up these plastic sliders?
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan View Post
I just bought a Urei 530 off of eBay and the sliders are hardly moveable, if I use a ton of force I can get them all the way up, or all the way down, but I can't move them smoothly. I tried some contact cleaner, but that didn't help. Is there a grease I can use to loob up these plastic sliders?
The best solution is brushing on some fader lube (if you can get to track mechanism), I just used some for real sticky vintage guitar pots. There is lubricating cleaner, don't know if it is safe for those faders. Someone like Jim Williams would know for sure.
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Old pots like that may be toast, perhaps due to "who know what" has been shot into the bowels over the years....

Best,

Bri
Old 11th May 2010
Deoxit Fader Lube says it works for plastic, I guess I should give it a shot and if it doesn't work try to return it, because it's not really usuable (and the power switch is broken )
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan View Post
Deoxit Fader Lube says it works for plastic, I guess I should give it a shot and if it doesn't work try to return it, because it's not really usuable (and the power switch is broken )
Those faders in that particular EQ tend to be like that, I used to have one at work. It is worth a try to lube them, just try to keep it off the conductive area. I'm sure the switch would be a cheap fix, you could even do it yourself.
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

No harm/no foul suggestions....

CRC "QD Contact Cleaner" from Home Depot. Also, "Ronosnol" (cigaratte lighter fluid, which is actualy Naptha).

If the pots melt......sorry....replace.

Best,

Bri
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianroth View Post
No harm/no foul suggestions....

CRC "QD Contact Cleaner" from Home Depot. Also, "Ronosnol" (cigaratte lighter fluid, which is actualy Naptha).

If the pots melt......sorry....replace.

Best,

Bri
As an FYI, I have four (4) UREI 537's with the same issue. Even after cleaning and re-lubing with deoxit, the sliders don't move very well. I've asked around for possible replacement sliders from Mouser, Digikey, etc and apparently, there aren't any.

Unless Brian, you know of a manufacturer who makes replacements...??? *fingers crossed*

DY
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

I think these pots always had a mechanical problem due to the length of shaft and the mechanism. Too much twisting torgue on the shaft, so it binds as you try to move it.
Old 12th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radardoug View Post
I think these pots always had a mechanical problem due to the length of shaft and the mechanism. Too much twisting torgue on the shaft, so it binds as you try to move it.
You have hit the nail on the head. You have to grab them as close to the faceplate as possible to move them more easily.
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYankee View Post
As an FYI, I have four (4) UREI 537's with the same issue. Even after cleaning and re-lubing with deoxit, the sliders don't move very well. I've asked around for possible replacement sliders from Mouser, Digikey, etc and apparently, there aren't any.

Unless Brian, you know of a manufacturer who makes replacements...??? *fingers crossed*

DY
A "last resort" I use is that CRC "QD" spray availble from Home Depot. Once in awhile, it works, since it is a solvent for the 49654 <g> attempts someone else tried with other "magic chemicals". Next is Ronsonol (aka Naptha).

Last ditch efforts, tho...sometimes you get lucky for awhile. Sometimes the last parts end up dissolving in to goo ARRGH!

I think Mouser and/or Digikey sell new "shortie" slide wires...but I haven't looked recently. The deal is finding slidewires with the correct resistance and taper, and mechanical dimensions.

Best,

Bri
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

I guess you could try putting it in the oven at 150 for a half hour and see what that does...

Otherwise I'd replace the pots. There has to be replacement suitable by someone, somewhere. Does Noble make those slide potentiometers?

2N
Old 15th May 2010
Lives for gear

Someone would have to actually take mechanical measurements of the original slidewires (were they CTS brand??) with a dial caliper to figure out the height/width/depth of the body, stroke length of the actuator, and pin spacings in order to match it with something currently in production.

Best,

Bri
Old 15th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianroth View Post
Someone would have to actually take mechanical measurements of the original slidewires (were they CTS brand??) with a dial caliper to figure out the height/width/depth of the body, stroke length of the actuator, and pin spacings in order to match it with something currently in production.

Best,

Bri
Indeed. there must something 98% close out there...
Old 16th May 2010
Gear Addict

After cleaning them with a cleaner this is the stuff to put in them: DeoxIT® FaderGrease

It won't make them new but it does help.

-Tony
Old 18th May 2010
I'll give that a try. I cleaned them, and they were stiffer, but since drying they've losened up a bit, but are still a little tight.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search