The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Old Analog desk modification Utility Plugins
Old 26th April 2010

interesting cause i saw his thread there an well hey were helpfull as usual actully
Old 26th April 2010

Quote:
found these strange red caps. written WIMA on it.One 1uf, and two 0.33uf.I dunno if they are suitable for this application but they were the only ones with those sort of values I could find at my local store
those are great quality caps perfect for said application
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
But you do realize that is in Timbouctou South, right? Spell it Timbuktu ot Timboktoo, whatever.
Going back to mods on MY desk, I'm trying the LF with three caps and a DPDT switch on.I found these strange red caps. written WIMA on it.One 1uf, and two 0.33uf.I dunno if they are suitable for this application but they were the only ones with those sort of values I could find at my local store.

Any suggestions always welcome.
Sorry, you mean that you are actually in Timbouctou?
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

WIMA caps are respected as kosher in Audiophile circuits.
Old 28th April 2010
Here for the gear

So Wima=Kosher ???

So WIMA = good caps for audio right?
That was lucky, because I had no idea.My first choice was those silver metalized poly. caps. but my local shop did'nt have the values I was after.So the sales man showed me those big red ones.Beginners luck I guess.If any of you has more to say about caps. for audio, specially HF in this case, since LF seems to be allright, then please feel free to chip in.
Old 28th April 2010

Quote:
So WIMA = good caps for audio right
uderstament but yes more like great for audio
Old 28th April 2010
Lives for gear

Many kinds of caps are great for audio, but not all of them are kosher. WIMA are.
Old 1st May 2010
Here for the gear

Insert switch

Hi people,
here's a quick addition I made to one of the channels.It consists of an SPDT ON-ON toggle switch taking the unprocessed signal via the green wire at the top of the pic and the processed signal, coming back to the channel fader via the insertion points(thick yellow wire soldered to one of the white wires going to bottom pin of the switch).So I can chose from processed sound and unprocessed sound by the flick of a switch.Please keep in mind that during the mix process it is very common to have, let's say a compressor, an EQ and then the SPL Vitalizer plugged one into another in the insert chain, via the patchbay.To listen to the signal with and then without, it would be quite inpractical to press three bypass switches at the same time, everytime I want to A/B the sound on lets say, the snare drum.With that switch I can get the whole chain in and out of the signal path easely and quick.It was quite easely done too, one normal ON-ON SPDT switch, some wire, solder, desolder, resolder and done.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Analog desk modification-insert-switch-.jpg  
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

Good work,
but I'd definitely mount that switch in there permanently. can you not make the hole bigger and put it there? Excuse-me for saying, but it looks kind of "cheap" with it coming out on wires like that!

I noticed something else which makes me say two other things:
-that blue PHILIPS electrolytic capacitor behind the push switch, should be replaced. It is almost certainly in the audio path (it's only 6,3V) and as you know they dry up after twenty years or so, depending on their environment.

-Has this console ever been recapped? If not you should consider doing that. You can start with a couple of channel modules. Typically two capacitors per channel (one for the negative rail and one for the positive rail).

Just my two cents,

2N
Old 3rd May 2010
Here for the gear

Two cents go a long way

Thank you Sir,

your two cents go a long way over here.I don't know if this desk has ever been re-capped, but I was planning to do so, anyway.I've been looking round and so far Elna, Panasonic FM and Nichinikon capacitors seem to come on top of the list, if anyone has "TRIED" not just heard in a distant or more recent past on GS or any other forum,about those brands, can anybody give some advice on these please.And don't worry I won't let those wires come out cheaply like that, that was just to try on one channel and will eventually drill a bigger hole once I've found the right size, price and look for an SPDT switch to go there.By the way any ideas about that pot idea you had for a fully variable frequency on the LF? I'm starting to think if a variable capacitor would be the answer, if such a thing exist in electronics and the second point is, if it's small enough to fit in a half an inch (1.2cm diameter) space???
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

No, a variable capacitor is not possible in this case. For RF purposes, yes, there are thousands of types available. But the range is only a couple pF to about 250pF. Nothing in the nF region. But I thought I'd already suggested to just install a potentiometer between R28 and R29? Replace both of these resistors with 1Kohm resistors and add a 2Kohm pot between them, with its wiper going to C13.
That's the only way I can see how to wire it up.

Maybe the author of the the Gyrator pdf (geofex guy) could answer this?

2N
Old 3rd May 2010
Here for the gear

Memory of a Goldfish.

Oh yes, sorry my bad,

I'm having the Goldfish syndrome(short memory).You did suggest that, on an early post,I need to check those posts,I never do,I've been so stuck in the "how to make insert work etc etc".And forget about the Geofex guy, I'm sure he is not about, specially on GS, I'd eat my own arm with ketchup and mustard if he was....(check it out, just to prove me wrong he's gonna pop up all of a sudden:"Hi, my name is John Geofex,author of the article on...."
Yeah.... and concerning caps., so far WIMA obviously,PanasonicFM,Nichinikon and Elna...I think is the name...I might have to buy a small quantity and try them, I'm sure they're all good caps anyway.If anybody has any suggestions, as usual feel free.
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh yes, sorry my bad,

I'm having the Goldfish syndrome(short memory).You did suggest that, on an early post,I need to check those posts,I never do,I've been so stuck in the "how to make insert work etc etc".
Oh yeah, we all get that. It was just a reminder. And actually I didn't go back to check what I had written, but I was pretty sure it was in there.

Quote:
And forget about the Geofex guy, I'm sure he is not about, specially on GS, I'd eat my own arm with ketchup and mustard if he was....(check it out, just to prove me wrong he's gonna pop up all of a sudden:"Hi, my name is John Geofex,author of the article on...."
PFHHAFHHAA!heh exactly...

Yeah.... and concerning caps., so far WIMA obviously,PanasonicFM,Nichinikon and Elna...I think is the name...I might have to buy a small quantity and try them, I'm sure they're all good caps anyway.If anybody has any suggestions, as usual feel free.[/QUOTE]

Well, I think you'll have to do the searching on this one. A lot of posts on "recapping" will give you an insight on this issue. I personally think it will make no audible difference. (Like could hear the faint -60dB noise at 120Hz, yeah sure) the difference it will make is lighten the load on the power supply, which should also be recapped, (but I wouldn't recapped, I'd say replace the two capacitors, recapping is for many capacitors).
Anyway, any capacitor will be better than what's in there now, no matter how good they were when new. I recommend using the same voltage as the original ones, you don't have to go higher, because you pay more for higher voltage caps. Say you had 30 volt caps(common in those days) and the circuit operates at +15V. You'd be safe with a 25V capacitor.
2N
Old 22nd July 2010
Here for the gear

It's been a long time

Hi yull,

Following 2N's suggestion and many peoples' advice I made small PCB boards with switches to chose from a variety of 3 to 10 possible frequencies on the EQ section of the mic/line channels.While I was there I also included an insert on-off switch, a post-fader post-pan selection switch for two of the aux sends on the channels(basically making them an extra stereo send).Im planning to add an extra aux send(only have three at the momment,that involves an extra rail and another summing amp etc etc.)I've also been experimenting with various Op-amps in the pre-amp section. AD 797ANZ, BB OPA 134, BB 627 and OPA 604 compared to the original Sanken 5534 IC.I'm still waiting for some LME and LT chips I will keep you posted and informed on my findings.I would appreciate some help in trying to turn the HPF into a fully variable Fq filter, any help welcome.If not I will stick to the switchable Fq principle used for the rest.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Analog desk modification-pcb-side.jpg   Old Analog desk modification-pcb-top.jpg   Old Analog desk modification-mic-line-eq-section.jpg  
Old 22nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi yull,

Following 2N's suggestion and many peoples' advice I made small PCB boards with switches to chose from a variety of 3 to 10 possible frequencies on the EQ section of the mic/line channels.While I was there I also included an insert on-off switch, a post-fader post-pan selection switch for two of the aux sends on the channels(basically making them an extra stereo send).Im planning to add an extra aux send(only have three at the momment,that involves an extra rail and another summing amp etc etc.)
well, that will certainly give you flexibility. 10 frequencies is alot, you get all this with two switches? How is that possible if each switch is an SPDT type?

(you say your other two switches are for Insert on-off and post-fader post-pan selection, which leaves only two switches, according to your picture)

good work on the PCB, That's the kind of stuff I wanna see!

2N
Old 23rd July 2010
Here for the gear

Ten Frq version

Yeah, let me clarify this.
The pictures you see are of the 3 Frq. version which uses SPDT switches.The other version which uses the same PCB, just wired differently, is a 10 Frq. switchable version, using mini-rotary switches. Those are single deck, single pole, ten position switches.Due to cost (each rotary swt. is £10/$20) and time etc, I did'nt want to make all channels ten Frq switchable, just keep the same PCB same options.I'm still stuck with the HPF, I wanna make it fully variable Frq. I saw a post on another site talking about fixed cap, pot and variable or shunt resistor.Dunno what that means.i can't find the post either.I you have any ideas, I could do with help.Find schematic, just two replies back.
Keep in touch.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Analog desk modification-ten-fq-pcb-board.jpg  
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search