The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studer 289 Modular Synthesizers
Old 27th August 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamproject View Post
other question...

i'm little confuse with input module calibration...
for the moment i use 1k test tone from DAW trough my DA converter

1-do i have to set my ref level on the DA output loaded with 600 Ohm, and connect to the console input after the ref setting
2-same as 1 but without the load
3-connect my DA to my board input an set the ref level
4-other option ???
If you calibrate using the line input, then it is standard procedure to use a 600 ohms source (200 ohms for the mic input). If your DAW is a pro model, with a balanced output, it may already have a 600 ohms output impedance, as all the well-behaved broadcast equipment does (to be checked in the manuals), otherwise it is better to reach it by inserting in series, in each leg (hot and cold, a resistor of (600 - Zo )/2 ohms, where Zo is the actual output impedance of your DAW. This is to ensure a consistent frequency response on transformer inputs, which are sensitive to the source impedance. On transformerless inputs, it doesn't matter nearly as much.

Now for your question : the correct answer is 3. You need to know the actual level at the input of the console, and that is where you should measure the input level.

Quote:
JLB2, merci encore, PM send
PM answered
Old 27th August 2010
Gear Addict

yes i use the line input for calibration, because it's a fixed input for ref level, and following the manual i have to adjust (trim pot post preamp) with fader -10 to have 280mV post fader (nominal modul output level)
i drive input with 1.23V but as you say X89 series was designed for +6 ref
so i think i go for 1.55 later

just test my audiocard output, got aprox 650 ohm tip/ring but 70 ring/tip ???

Old 27th August 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
just test my audiocard output, got aprox 650 ohm tip/ring but 70 ring/tip ???

I guess you are just using an ohmmeter to measure the DC resistance, which is not usually equal to the output impedance. To measure the latter, you need to place a known load resistor between the hot and cold terminals (tip and ring for unbalanced), and play a 1kHz sine. You then measure the ratio between the loaded & unloaded output voltages, and apply the resistor divider gain formula to find the output impedance. The best precision is obtained when the load resistor is close or equal to the output impedance, so don't be shy and start with about 1 kohm.
Old 29th August 2010
Gear Addict

ok

according to this -->Measuring input impedance and calculating output impedance calculation calculate amplifier amp total loudspeaker speaker microphone resistance resistor bridging matching test load loudspeaker source resistance - Why input impedance is in parallel and

i have:

tip/ring 347 ohm
tip/sleeve and ring/sleeve same with 196 ohm

test tone 1k, load ref 616 ohm

the DA have "automatic" bal/unbal output... so i'm a not sure what i have to trust with my measurement...
are tip/rig half Zout?

i think i have to take a break and remove the dust of my electronic schoolbook heh
Old 29th August 2010
Here for the gear

I don't know what "automatic bal/unbal" means exactly, but in the present case, it is only the balanced impedance (ie. between hot and cold, or 2 and 3 on a XLR) that matters. The link might even be completely floating, with 600 ohms between hot and cold, and infinite between any leg and the ground, it wouldn't matter a bit. 616 ohms is good

EDIT: I read you too fast, I thought you had measured 616 ohms, then I saw it was the resistor you used to make the measurement. Well 350 ohms is low, but then it is easy to add a 120 ohms resistor in series in each leg to come close to the nominal 600 ohms.
Old 30th August 2010
Gear Addict

tks jlb2

_______

i still looking for fader track replacement
can't find the original part
and i find this (see pict)
it's seems the white fader conductive track are not an original studer part???
I absolutely don't have the same design in my fader modul!
Did someone have an idea from where this replacement part can come, P&G, ALPS?

Attached Thumbnails
Studer 289-studer-fader.jpg  
Old 30th August 2010
Here for the gear

P&G, very unlikely (unless they made it on request for Studer?), certainly not ALPS. You might ask Studer / Revox (I think MVT is still the "official" maintenance centre in France), with the part reference, who knows what they can tell you... But first... Have you tried cleaning those tracks with a contact cleaner (personally I use KF F2, Caig is highly considered as well) and a cotton swab? It can work wonders.
Old 30th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
ok

according to this -->Measuring input impedance and calculating output impedance calculation calculate amplifier amp total loudspeaker speaker microphone resistance resistor bridging matching test load loudspeaker source resistance - Why input impedance is in parallel and

i have:

tip/ring 347 ohm
tip/sleeve and ring/sleeve same with 196 ohm

test tone 1k, load ref 616 ohm

the DA have "automatic" bal/unbal output... so i'm a not sure what i have to trust with my measurement...
are tip/rig half Zout?

i think i have to take a break and remove the dust of my electronic schoolbook heh
Hey there zam,
you do have an oscilloscope, do you? Again, you cannot use a multimeter to measure AC volts if the frequency is above a couple hundred hertz. As a matter of fact, I believe most multimeters filter anything above 60Hz, since that's the maximum line frequency for any country in the world.. (unless you work in industrial electricity where other frequencies are used in multiphase power systems).

You need an oscilloscope to measure this signal of 1Khz.

otherwise, your project seems to be going quite well!

tout le meilleur,

2N
Old 30th August 2010
Here for the gear

The multimeter zamproject showed us in page 1 is a Fluke 8060, which is able to measure millivolts in RMS up to 100 kHz. No problem for what he is doing
Old 30th August 2010
Gear Addict

JLB2

the french official studer dealer is "audiopole" have contact since 2 years when i fall in the studer world by buying a 169, unfortunately the x89 series part are not in stock since long time (except standard electronic component)
For the cleaning of the console i do it, including the fader, cotton swab, alcohol, and finally KF "top linear"
The console was in the francemusique final diffusion room for 12 years, 24/24, 7/7... fader hardly used, resistive value and log scale are not matching anymore, it can work for the mono input but not for the stereo...
I got contact in Switzerland, a guy seems to have this part NOS (i need 32pces...), some good mail exchange, and finally never get reply
i try to find a new solution

2N1305

cool to see you again around this tread

but if you look in the first page you can see i got a fluke 8060A "true RMS"
with dB scale and frequency measurement up to 200KHz, special audio heh

but your right i need a scop for this project, i don't have it now but one is on the way(this week or next) and a LFG

merci les amis
Old 31st August 2010
Gear Addict

simultaneous post about the multimeter
Old 2nd September 2010
Gear Addict

today clean and mechanical repair of an old input module MKI, can't test it for the moment, not interchangeable with the MKII version (25pin socket in place of 33).
I load it under the PFL module, pure cosmetic for the moment, and i think i will do a direct connect to the mother board, without pan and bus select (don't have spare connection unit)
Fixed master 1&2 for instrument i want C paned, or maybe just ON/OFF switch for full L, full R, and C
Attached Thumbnails
Studer 289-dsc00184.jpg   Studer 289-dsc00185.jpg   Studer 289-dsc00186.jpg   Studer 289-dsc00187.jpg   Studer 289-dsc00188.jpg  

Studer 289-dsc00189.jpg   Studer 289-dsc00190.jpg  
Old 5th September 2010
Lives for gear

Wow. The construction is amazing in its complexity (relative to other boards). This "Frame" for the board an the little plug-ins, pots mounted on the bent-edge Frame. Really nice. But, I guess that's Studer, built like a tank.

So how long until it's operational and you give us an album?heh
Old 12th September 2010
Gear Addict

Yes built like a tank!!! most of mechanical part looks like new after 30 years and a little cleaning

have to wait for an album... since one week i put out all my old multitrack session, and remix all i can to explore the capability(and the limits) of the desk
Old 24th September 2010
Gear Addict

today 48V work

-the input module PCB and the 289 mother board have the design to receive the 6K8 resistor, 189 schematic say matched at 0,4%, i order 0,1% resistor.

-soldering 4 way F connector (no mistake with audio cable...) on the external 48v power supply rail

-soldering 4 way M connector to the console mother board 48v rail

-soldering resistor at the good place (a stereo module on the pict)

-test a static mic and have sound

everything ok

now 48v ready
Attached Thumbnails
Studer 289-dsc00189.jpg   Studer 289-dsc00190.jpg   Studer 289-dsc00191.jpg   Studer 289-dsc00192.jpg   Studer 289-dsc00193.jpg  

Studer 289-dsc00195.jpg  
Old 10th October 2010
Gear Addict

Finish all back card fixing

Last pb was:

-Speaker protector
Fixed by changing photoresistor in a opto system controlling relay (short-cutting symmetrical output when power on/off)

-Phase correlator
Changing the MC1496G balanced modulator/demodulator on the card
and fix the front panel meter, very hard micro mechanical workheh
Ppl who know this little Studer meter series can imagine the moving coil inside mechanic.
Basically the little inside magnet was unglued and locked the coil movement...

Dismounting the glass, putting out the moving system, unsoldering a small spring part, removing outside metal part, catching the magnet, checking the polarity with marked neodym magnet to find the correct axial way to re-glue it
...and back cycling procedure
It take me 3 hours to do this...1 to look at the meter all the way i can, to understand how i can do the job without broking it, 2 other to fix it

Sry the pictures are not so good but i only have a cellphone without zoom or macro, and the part are to smal!

________

The last electrical job is one channel of one of the 2 stereo compressor
Attached Thumbnails
Studer 289-dsc00197.jpg   Studer 289-dsc00198.jpg   Studer 289-dsc00199.jpg   Studer 289-dsc00200.jpg   Studer 289-dsc00201.jpg  

Studer 289-dsc00202.jpg  
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
today clean and mechanical repair of an old input module MKI, can't test it for the moment, not interchangeable with the MKII version (25pin socket in place of 33).
I load it under the PFL module, pure cosmetic for the moment, and i think i will do a direct connect to the mother board, without pan and bus select (don't have spare connection unit)
Fixed master 1&2 for instrument i want C paned, or maybe just ON/OFF switch for full L, full R, and C
Hi zamproject,

I've decided not to sell my studer 089 mk1 and want to start a project to recap the whole thing myself....through your obvious experience, what caps should i go for for the various modules? I've never recapped anything before but am fairly confident with a soldering iron (having done my 96 way patchbay) and though i'd invest in a good one and a desoldering gun too (hakko808?)

Any info you would care to share on what i might need and problems i could run into would be greatly appreciated.

Dom
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2N1305 View Post
Wow. The construction is amazing in its complexity (relative to other boards). This "Frame" for the board an the little plug-ins, pots mounted on the bent-edge Frame. Really nice. But, I guess that's Studer, built like a tank.
this is what I think when people start with those, "I'm going to build my own console threads"

designing the audio circuits is one thing.

but try doing the metal work for something like this and making it all fit. and for a reasonable cost for a one off project.

anyway back on topic, NICE WORK ZAM!!!!!!
Old 24th October 2010
Gear Addict

hi

Dom:
The mkI module don't have the same design, i don't do the recap list for it.
And the connection module 089/189 are not same as 289/389
so you have to do il yourself... basicaly i use panasonic for radial and Vishay/Philips for axial
You just have to catch the manual, but don't be afraid, there is not many electrolytic in this desk.
For the help lot of thing are on this tread, but if you don't find answer here feel free to ask in PM
i don't whant this thread become a Q&A for Studer 89 series supportheh

Oxide: TKS
Old 27th October 2010
Here for the gear

Studer a101

Please, who is the life of A101 blue opamp, is possible to repair it or change the tantalium condenser? I've a old consol II version with a blue opamp, and I've terror to dead.
Thanks, Massimo

massimo.bortolettoATcheapnet.it
Old 8th December 2010
Gear Addict

Hi all

Long time i don't post here... busy

Last month i finish the calibration!
I just change resistor in the four Aux meter unit to fit my +6dB ref on the Vu meter, initially it's a broadcast console and Vu have preset resistor for +12 ref and i just can't align my Vu lower than +8dB on the trim pot...

After that, considering the console OK (performing lot of test and remixing old work) i decide to mix the first client song with the 289!!! (record was done with my smal 169, 8 tracks live session)

MAN... i just love it
Attached Thumbnails
Studer 289-dsc00210.jpg   Studer 289-dsc00211.jpg   Studer 289-dsc00212.jpg  
Old 8th December 2010
Gear Addict

Yesterday i try (again) to find the problem i have with one channel of one comp...

time to time since 3 month i look at it and unfortunately never find.
Basicaly pb with the CH1 -10v supply... changing supply transistor regulator,changing tantal caps, unsoldering about 20 resistor and diode to test it etc....never find

But yesterday i find...dead TDA1034 on the "comp ratio" circuit...
Inside shortcut i think, giving me bad supply for the whole channel, audio path and FET compressor circuit

i change opamp and calibrate the module, work fineheh
Attached Thumbnails
Studer 289-dsc00218.jpg   Studer 289-dsc00219.jpg   Studer 289-dsc00220.jpg  
Old 8th December 2010
Gear Addict

with the fixing of the last compressor pb, the desk are sonic/electrically 100% working.

100% WORKING

from now, the work on this desk are pure maintenance... i have some mechanical part to do but nothing with the sound....this Studer 289 get a second life for the next 20 years... SO...

I declare the restoration finished!!!

Tks to all the ppl here who help me for this, sharing knowledge, and taking time...

i hope this desk will be my main desk for a long time (until i find a 32 input 8 bus 289heh)
A new studer desk are on the way for a restoration...but it's another stories...keep going

Attached Thumbnails
Studer 289-dsc00223.jpg  
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Hey there,

I'm about a get a 289 too, similar to the one you have.
Super excited!

I just went through your entire thread to get into recapping mode, haha.

Seriously, would you mind sharing a mix that has been done on your beautiful console that shows off its sonic qualities? Anything?
Just to wet my appetite even further

Cheers

Michael
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig27 View Post
Hey there,

I'm about a get a 289 too, similar to the one you have.
Super excited!

I just went through your entire thread to get into recapping mode, haha.

Seriously, would you mind sharing a mix that has been done on your beautiful console that shows off its sonic qualities? Anything?
Just to wet my appetite even further

Cheers

Michael
hello Michael

old tread here!!!
i'm actually restoring a second one... 5 frame,

also to be honest i ask this summer to moderator if they can delete ALL pic i post here, because i see stolen one used in commercial website

i can't edit anything i this old tread, and moderator never reply to me

anyway you can ear on of the last production here

Chapel Hill - New Album - One For The Birds

fell free to contact me by PM or thought my email (web site link below)
i'm curious to have info and pict about your 289

Zam
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Ah, thanks.
Sounds lovely!
Sending you an email..
Old 30th November 2013
Lives for gear

Time machine! Hmmmm
Old 14th February 2014
Lives for gear

The 289 is an amazing desk! Still miss the sound...
Nevertheless, I am selling the two spare modules (1x input module, 1x stereo input module) and 3 faders I kept when I sold the desk. If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me. I intend to put those modules on ebay in the next days.
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Can you put more stuff related to your desk? Please...
Old 26th November 2015
Lives for gear
Congrats man this looks amazing!

I have picked up some Bal <> Unbal cards for the 189/289/389 era consoles, but cannot find any documentation for them - Would you be willing to share the docs and schematics you have, in the hope there may be some info relating to these lovely cards?

Part Number is 1.915.904.00 (lots of info on the much newer .81 variation, but that is electronically quite different it seems).

Good work and no problem if not!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search