The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New production 12AX7 for guitar amps...like to hear what everyone likes!
Old 12th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Did you gentlemen try trimpots instead of cathode bias resistors? Such a way you may tune any brand of 12AX7 tubes to any sound you wish (hard, smooth, rough, bright, dim, sweet, sour, ____), much cheaper than buying exotic tubes. No magic at all. The same glass, metal, vacuum, and slightly different geometry causes slightly different characteristics.
Wouldn't it be great if it really worked like that?

Think how easy life would be. Chinese 12AX7? Just 'dial in' the Telefunken cathode resistor and voila!

DC
Old 13th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcollins View Post
Wouldn't it be great if it really worked like that?

Think how easy life would be. Chinese 12AX7? Just 'dial in' the Telefunken cathode resistor and voila!
Yep. When tubes from RCA and Telefunken were cheap and available a life was easier, since all of them were similar like twin brothers, and all tubes if were alive performed the same way as they did on the table of the gear designer. Regimes had to be tweaked at once, during design. No further adjustments were needed: just plug in a new tube, and get the same currents, voltages, curves! The same sound!

Now when spread of parameters of vacuum tubes is wider than barn gates you have 2 options: either to roll tubes in order to find one that match better what was used by original designer and by a factory, or tweak regimes of tubes you have. Both ways are valid.

However, there is one more way: to use DC feedbacks like I do in my Pyramid amps, to automatically adjust regimes no matter what brand and age of tubes are inserted. But when vintage gear was designed such tricks were not needed: all RCA and Telefunken tubes were very close to specs. So, you have two ways to get needed regimes: either to adjust resistors, or to find right tubes. In both cases the result will be the same: identical curves for the identical sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffer Fish View Post
But I have had the best luck with the JJs.
Me too. I always liked Tesla tubes more than Soviet ones: they were sometimes available in USSR.
Old 23rd August 2010
Here for the gear

I like the Sovtek 12AX7 we put them in a fender hot rod deluxe with
Sovtek 6l6WXt+. Very punchy and freakin loud. Though it's hard to tell
how clean they are because the speaker has a little fuzz to it.
Old 23rd August 2010
Here for the gear

12AX7 ECC83 tubes I like

My absolute favourites are

12AX7LPS (Long plate Spiral). Fantastic Bandwidth with no particular emphasis but really smooth. One of the best current prod tubes today Me thinks.

12AX7 Tungsol Fairly low gain but plenty of bottom end thump.

ECC83S JJ High gain works really well in some amps for rip solo leads. Nice smooth and emphasised mid range. Not too good for bass frequencies though.

All our tubes are tested thoroughly for noise, Gain and Trans.
Old 23rd August 2010
Lives for gear

What do you mean by Fantastic Bandwidth?
Old 19th October 2010
Here for the gear

Wide Bandwidth. Good High frequency detail and good very low bass....
Old 19th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voc Rock Guitars View Post
Wide Bandwidth. Good High frequency detail and good very low bass....
And which one is that?
Old 20th October 2010
Here for the gear

The Sovtek 12AX7LPS (Long plate Spiral element)... Extended high and low frequency. One of the best pre tubes Sovtek are making today. My opinion of Course.
Old 4th May 2011
Gear Head

This catagory is too broad. Depends on the tube type depends on the amp. For instance, I'm not crazy about JJ 12AX7s, but their EL84s rule! Like the tung Sol 12AX7, a bit bright but never annoying. The Mullard EL 84s seemed slow and lifeless to me. Tung Sol 6V6 very nice tone, very even, but slightly lower output. Haven't tried the JJ 6v6.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search