The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Eventide online shop?? (or H3000 service manual)
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

Eventide online shop?? (or H3000 service manual)

hey!

I've decided I need the user and service manuals for my H3500, and I just sent an email to the eventide webstore, basically checking everything is OK and in stock before I order with my creditcard details, because the dates on the site show its not been updated in over 3 years - and I got a bounce back on their email address...
:-(

has anyone here used the eventide online store recently? is everything OK there? I guess i could try the phone number also listed, but international calls are a bit of a pain for time differences and stuff.

if not from here, what's the best way to get service and user manuals for my H3500? I tend to prefer decent quality properly printed paper manuals, but decently scanned PDFs would be better than nothing...
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofi View Post
what's the best way to get service and user manuals for my H3500?
I would start with telling us what is wrong with it and maybe there is somebody on this forum that can help you...
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

hey - thanks for your reply!

it's just a bit rough, and could do with a bit of TLC. maybe replace the electros, and clean up some connections to reduce system noise a bit.... Though mains transformer accoustic hum and not so responsive buttons are the main issue, but i can open it up and fix these things without a service manual.

to be honest the most important thing i could really use now is the user manual, because it's a bit of a terse machine and I'd love to get right into it and do all the stuff that the FX presets I have show me can be done...

but if I'm getting that I may as well buy the service manual too, just in case I ever do really need it.... also it might help me because I'm interested in working out which EEPROM mine is missing (I have all algorithms, but missing 8 ranges of fx presets (about 150 of the total of about 700 or so) one of my EEPROM sockets is empty, and this shouldn't be the case on a 3500B/DFX, I believe... so I guess one of my EEPROMS got pulled and plopped into another unit at some point. Knowing what EEPROM it actually is would help me in my quest to find it!
:-)
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

Can you be a bit more specific on which EProm is missing ?
By telling us which Eproms are in the unit and what the text is on the label of the Eproms ?
Or: Which presets are missing ?
Could you tell us the range of presets that are in the unit now ?
I may be able to help you.

As far as I know Eventide only has a printed manual of the H3000/3500 series.
No pdf.
And no schematics in the manual as well.

Richard.
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks Richard! I'll let you know everything I know about it.....

Now, there's a document in another thread that shows all the preset ranges that my box is meant to have.... It's basically a 3500B/DFX (though no B marking on the front, it's got the algorithms and presets, so it's basically a B/DFX!)

here's the PDF:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/so-much-gear-so-little-time/126580d1246117780-eventide-h3000-possible-problem-h3000-presets-history.pdf

For the 16 ranges listed in that pdf for the 3500B/DFX here's what I've got:

150-199: no
200-257: yes
259-284: no
286-298: no
300-363: yes
366-399: no
400-415: yes
416-423: no
425-493: yes
496-499: no
500-699: yes
700-747: yes
750-786: yes
793-799: no
800-899: yes
975-999: no

which, interestingly enough, is half the ranges! but lucky for me, it's all small ranges... so only missing a total of about 150 of the full set of 700(ish?) presets.

I can't get into the box now, but last time I looked, there was one EEPROM socket unpopulated. 1 missing EEPROM looks to me like it could hold a bunch of presets, like what are missing.

so I guess it's an EEPROM that's not the VAI rom, or the Broadcast ROM, or the mod1/2 ROM, but something else? If this doesn't help narrow it down, but you know what EEPROMs are meant to be in a 3500B/DFX, then I'd love a list here in this thread, so I can check them when I get a chance to pull mine out of the rack next and open it up.

as for the manuals.. what I was trying to say is I actually WOULD LIKE TO buy them from eventide in paper form if I can (if someone has used this shop lately and confirms it works even if it bounces emails!) but if this shop isn't an option anymore I'm happy to buy them from anywhere else, in whatever (reasonable quality) format they might be in, if someone can point me in the right direction.

thanks!
Old 15th March 2010
Lives for gear

The Eventide site and Eventide Store have been "off air" for several hours, but is back now.

Looking to the information you mailed there absolutely is one Eprom missing with D/SX-D/SE presets.
To narrow this further down I need more information or a photograph of the Eproms you have in your unit.
Depending on the age of your 3500 the text printed on the Eprom label may be different.
You should have four Eprom's in your 3500.

The link to the pdf does not work, but I do not need it.
Here is a full listing with Eventide information:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf h3000pres.pdf (238.5 KB, 547 views)
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

aaah.. the pdf I was trying to link was like that one, but with the basic list of ranges for each model...

I opened my 3500 up, and I have, from back panel to transformer:

H3500 ver 1.0 Vfx22 second
ROM3 Dynamic Programs

H3500 ultra harmonizer v1.0
ROM2 enhanced programs

H3000B/Vairom V2.17
broadcast and vai presets

next column of sockets, the EEPROM socket at the back is empty.

I also have
H3500 Ultra Harmonizer
opsys v 2.17 ROM1

I'd love to know what is missing, and how I can get it!

anyway - after bouncing my email, I just got a reply from them, so all is good for my original question. I'll have the user and service manuals in a week or so I guess...
Old 16th March 2010
Lives for gear

Have you checked if all Eproms are properly seated in the sockets ?
And no pin(s) of Eprom(s) bent ?

Start with checking the Eprom "H3500 ver 1.0 Vfx22 second
ROM3 Dynamic Programs".

Does the sampler board work ?

Apart from that it would have been nice if you had mentioned your earlier forum posts in October last year about this same matter.
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

sorry - this post was originally just about getting the manuals....

And while I accidentally wrote service manual in the header, really the main one I wanted this time was the user manual - but for $40 a pop shipping to australia, I figured I'd buy the service manual too, to save another $40 shipping later.

Adding the rest of the presets is something I'd like to do, but not what I was after this post. I really just wanted to learn how to get the most out of my fx unit.... Though it's getting interesting now - you seem to be implying I already have all the ROMs that I'm meant to have in the unit, and my empty socket is meant to be empty.. is this the case?
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

Your post of October last year was exactly about the same matter and only the last three lines were about getting a manual.
No problem, however.
Did you follow the earlier suggestions to reseat the Eproms in their sockets ?
No effect ? No bent pin(s) ? Sampler can be used ?
It is funny that all D/SE presets seem to be missing....
Could you send me a photograph of the existing situation ? Also with the soldering pads on the motherboard in the Eprom area near the power transformer ?
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

errrr...... nope.. go up the top and check... this post really was originally just about getting manuals (which are happening, and will be in my hands soon now! yay!)

you steered it in the direction of the EEPROMs when I mentioned them as something I was interested in reading about in the service manual... but like I said - right now my main focus is just to learn to program the thing for myself.

to be honest I haven't ever tried the sampler function, because, well, I have more samplers than I need, anyway.
I'm in the middle of a big studio reorganisation, so I'll test it when I get things hooked up again. probably the weekend. I guess I can do something with the basic algorithm preset without too much hassle???

I don't have the ability to get a photo till the weekend. I can try then. and when I do that I'll triple check all chips are seated right (no broken pins - would have noticed that)

but failing photo availability - I just listed all the EEPROMS in there, and copied the text off the labels.... if you know exactly what should be in there, and what I have doesn't match up, then I'd be interested to know too. what eeproms should an H3500DFX have? how about an H3500B/DFX?

If I do actually have the right number of EEPROMs already (4 EEPROMs, and one blank socket) then now I'm starting to wonder if that H3000B/VAI EEPROM is the culprit? it's the only EEPROM without an H3500 specific label...
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

The history and permutations of all the H3000 versions and chip sets is amazingly complicated and confusing. Below is a 2 page summary that will shed some light.

In addition to the sets on the list there is the D/SE CON upgrade, which includes aglorithms 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 122, and 123. It includes presets 150-199, 200-257, 259-284, 286-298(3D SPATIAL IMAGING EFFECTS), 366-399, 416-423, 496-499, 500-699, 700-747 (VAI presets), 793-799, 800-899(MOD FACTORY PRESETS), and 975-999.

This and other update kits (official and unofficial) have been available over the years. We've seen some badly executed upgrades where a previous tech messed up the jumper changes on the motherboard.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf H3000_Presets_History_2.pdf (87.0 KB, 709 views)
Old 17th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kulka View Post
We've seen some badly executed upgrades where a previous tech messed up the jumper changes on the motherboard.
EXACTLY !!
And that is why I would like to have a photograph of the "jumpers section" because I think something went wrong there.

The Eproms you listed look OK to me and if you say you did not notice bent pins and the Eproms are well socketed, there could be something wrong with these jumpers.

Don't bother about the B/Vai Rom. You have all the presets in that Eprom.
Old 18th March 2010
Lives for gear

Are the jumpers marked X1 through X8 found between the software Eproms like this: (0----0 means JUMPED, 0 0 means CUT)

X2 X1
0 0--0

X4 X3
0--0 0

X6 X5
0--0 0

X7 X8
0--0 0

Is the OPSYS 2.17 Eprom in socket U53 ? It MUST be and probably will be.
U54 is the DRAM
U55 is the DS1225Y non volatile SRAM (memory back up)

U250,U251,U252 and U253 may contain any other Eprom. It does not matter which goes where.

Just to make sure:
Check the notches on the Eproms.
These should all point to the LEFT, so pointing to the left hand side of the H3500, away from the power transformer.
Check the Eproms are seated properly in the sockets and look for bent or uninserted pins, if you did not double check that already.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

hey there!

ok, I got to spend some time checking things out:

firstly, got the manuals. the whole unit makes a lot more sense now (though the binding job on my $45 service manual leaves a bit to be desired, and the service manual only goes as far as the 3000 series stuff, so no mention of what exact EEPROMs I should have)

All algorithms seem to work, including the sampler. though a few presets I have don't really work that well, it's not tied to any algorithm.could possibly still be pilot error... need to play some more, but all algorithms have presets that definitely work.

sorry no photos - my camera won't take usable ones with the flash, and it won't take usable ones without the flash. :-(

Jumpers match your description

X2 X1
0 0--0

X4 X3
0--0 0

X6 X5
0--0 0

X7 X8
0--0 0

the only jumpers not "stock" are X6-X5, which have been cut and jumped by someone at some point to break X5 and join X6, to match your drawing...

all eeproms are in the right direction. no broken pins.

I gave every socketed chip a good push. got some "creaking home" noises on a few. damn I hate cheap IC sockets. might replace with machined pin sockets one day. No real difference in performance or magically appearing presets after this and a system reset.

So many orange tag tantalums through this thing. I'm scared.... will have to go back inside soon, and replace them all with something less destructive.

Oh, and I put some closed cell foam between the transformer and chassis, and bolted it back in place. transformer hums a bit quieter now.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
the only jumpers not "stock" are X6-X5, which have been cut and jumped by someone at some point to break X5 and join X6, to match your drawing...
That is quite OK. It is a jumper on the motherboard that is used when the sampler board is installed.
And normally is done by the guy that installs the samplerboard.
It is fully described in the instructions that come with the sampler board when bought as a seperate option.

Quote:
No real difference in performance or magically appearing presets after this and a system reset.
It seems that an Eprom is totally wrong, missing or defective.
I will look through my files for information concerning which presets are supposed to be on what Eprom.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

that would be really cool - I would like to know what could be missing. ....I wish my service manual had the H3500 info in it!!!

In terms of which one might be wrong, well there's still that V2.17 H3000B/vairom... That is the only ROM in there that isn't labeled specifically with H3500.
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

The V2.17 H3000B/Vai-rom is not your problem.
The name of that EProm is the same for all B-versions.
And remember: Your H3500 is also a H3000 but came from the factory with a sampler board and some special sampler software...
That is also why your manual has no 3500 info in it.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Fair enough.. It just seems funny to me they bothered to label all the other EEPROMs with 3500, but not that one....

Also, my units front panel says it is a meant to be a 3500DFX, not a 3500B/DFX. so the H3000B/vairom is definitely not what shipped in my unit originally..

I know the 3500 is the last of the H3000 series, and is just an H3000 with all options, but the service manual mentions the ROM + version combinations for a bunch of H3000 unit revisions, but not the H3500. Thats what I meant by "I wish my service manual had the H3500 info in it" - I guess by the time that the 3500 came out they were sick of updating the service manual.
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess by the time that the 3500 came out they were sick of updating the service manual.
That is a very good guess !!
Eventide sometimes already were sick BEFORE making a manual.
And definitely WHILE making a manual.
That is probably the reason why you do not find what you are looking for.
Even "service manuals" may miss the information you would be looking for.

Could you please try to pull the B/VAI Eprom and check what presets appear and/or disappear now ?
Just crossed my mind......

Last edited by SP2016; 31st March 2010 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: forgot important information....
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear Maniac

I have an extra print manaul for the 3000B if you need it.
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Apart from the description of the specific H3000B presets the manual is exactly the same as for all other H3000's.....
That also goes for the H3500 which is just a H3000 with a sampler board and specific presets.
Old 2nd April 2010
Lives for gear

Panther,

I have a H-3000B without the manual.

Can I have yours ?

WT
Old 7th April 2010
Lives for gear

I'll try and get it open again in the next week, and see what happens with the presets when I have the b/vairom out... but I'm also having fun just playing with it as it is.

trying not to spend all my spare music time inside gear, at the moment...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search