The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
annoying static electricity issue Mixers (Analog)
Old 2nd March 2010
Lives for gear

annoying static electricity issue

this new place i got has,i would say possibly destructive static electricity. enough sometimes to send a loud spike through the PA when i move the master sliders.i tried a humidifier..doesn't seem to help.
also get them of the mics and just about everything else but not always..usually when i first fire up the system, for the first hour or so, then it's o.k. the house circuits are good, every plug tests correct, no funny daisychaining going on..

i am thinking of hooking up ground wires.
one to the amp rail on my rack as all the outboard gear is grounded to the amp rail.
one to a body screw on the zed r16.
and one to the body screw of my amps.
then twisting the the 4 ground wires together and grounding it to the water pipe where the house earthground is. it works for cars with that strip dragging on the ground.

can anybody think of a reason i shouldn't try this. i can't think of one but im not shure.

anyone ever run into this.
anything else that might work?
Old 2nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Not much harm in trying, but I don't think it would work. Ground wires or not, there will still be little discharge sparks when you walk and touch these things and the discharge will still find it's way into your audio, though maybe at lower levels. Also, the added ground wires may create ground loops and ground noise.

The best thing is to try to prevent the static. This may involve changing the carpeting or flooring, or even wearing different clothes. There are aerosol sprays that reduce static. Good luck with this.
Old 2nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kulka View Post
Not much harm in trying, but I don't think it would work. Ground wires or not, there will still be little discharge sparks when you walk and touch these things and the discharge will still find it's way into your audio, though maybe at lower levels. Also, the added ground wires may create ground loops and ground noise.

The best thing is to try to prevent the static. This may involve changing the carpeting or flooring, or even wearing different clothes. There are aerosol sprays that reduce static. Good luck with this.
thanks for the input,didn't know about the spray.
Old 2nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Hi
You can also get 'static dissipative' matting and other products for industrial workstations. Look under 'ESD' in Digikey or Newark or wherever. If not the answer in might give ideas.
Hard grounding with wire is tedious and not particularly helpful, you want the charges to leak away, not be discharged in a spark.
Matt s
Old 4th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
You can also get 'static dissipative' matting and other products for industrial workstations. Look under 'ESD' in Digikey or Newark or wherever. If not the answer in might give ideas.
Hard grounding with wire is tedious and not particularly helpful, you want the charges to leak away, not be discharged in a spark.
Matt s
thanks for the info(esd), a friend of mine has an ionization machine for his shop..i think i'll start there..
Old 4th March 2010
Lives for gear

Hi
I presume the problems occur after moving around so look to floor covering, shoes, the chairs you use and any other 'soft furnishings' you may brush against. You are I presume in a seriously dry part of the world or have excessive aircon which is drying the atmosphere.
You need to nail this probem as excessive static can and will start to kill audio circuitry (inputs and outputs) when replugging or patching gear.
I believe you can get 'deionised' aircon filters, perhaps look into this as well.
search out solutions from the 'drier' states. In the UK it is not normally much of a problem, being almost permanently damp.
Matt s
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search