The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How do I make my line level synth turn into a Hi-z output??
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

How do I make my line level synth turn into a Hi-z output??

I have a modern analog synth I want to record thru my bass guitar amp. I want it to be Hi-z output like older analog synths. How do I turn my 1/4" unbalanced line level ouput into Hi-z?? I really need to figure this out or I'm seriously gonna go insane!
Thanks
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

You need a reamp box. Most of them have balanced inputs though. If you want to build it yourself then see this schematic:
http://jensen-transformers.com/as/as092.pdf

On the input side just connect one side of the transformer to tip and the other to sleeve of the 1/4 line out from the keyboard..
The transformer is a 10K:10K. You can get them from other places that are less expensive like edcor if you want.
EDCOR - WSM10K/10K
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

Can i just wire up a jensen transformer with two neutrik jacks for input and output?? one unbalanced 1/4" female to a balanced xlr out? then go into the reamp box??
thanks
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

I guess your talking about buying a reamp box? If so sure you could balance your output that way. You might want to just try your unbalanced out into the input of the reamp box if it has a combo jack. It should still work OK.
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

I was just wndering if there is a transformer that would just balance the signal only? The rig I'm doing it on has been planned out for years and cost so much cash that I really dont want to take any chances by plugging in an unbalanced signal into a balanced re-amp box. I know its an annoying question. It just seems impossible with all the research ive done, there is no way to get a unbalaned line level signal to balanced with out changing it to mic level thru a DI box, which will be too hot for a re amp box. I was thinking : synth > jensen transformer > reamp box > amp - will the transformer you posted above do that?? bear with me- I really need the help
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

Reamp boxes are line level inputs. They're so you can connect the outputs of a mixer or DAW interface and run it through a guitar amp to get the sound of the amp in a previously recorded track. If you use an unbalanced out from your keys the level will actually be slightly less than what a balanced signal would be. Just because a device has a balanced connector doesn't mean its mic level.
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedupsteve View Post
Reamp boxes are line level inputs. They're so you can connect the outputs of a mixer or DAW interface and run it through a guitar amp to get the sound of the amp in a previously recorded track. If you use an unbalanced out from your keys the level will actually be slightly less than what a balanced signal would be. Just because a device has a balanced connector doesn't mean its mic level.
Is there a way to turn a 1/4" unbalanced line level output into a balanced LINE LEVEL xlr ouput??
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

Sure. See the "next best way to do it"
Sound System Interconnection

use a 600:600 transformer or a 10K:10K ( I'd just use a 600:600)
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

Will this one work?? or is there a cheaper option?
Avalon JT-1 High Performance Jensen Output Transformer Option for M5
Old 25th February 2010
Old 25th February 2010
Lives for gear

your right, im just gonna get a 1/4 inch mono to xlr cable , and just live with the slight level drop. I guess the impedance matching is much more important!!!
thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search