The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Diagram - Groove Tubes CL1s Compressor/Limiter ...
Old 22nd February 2010
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Diagram - Groove Tubes CL1s Compressor/Limiter ...

I'm using a Groove Tubes CL1s Compressor/Limiter in studio and I want to calibrate the tubes of the CL1s ... so I need the right data. Maybe anyone has a diagram of the CL1s (no block diagram, 'cause thats in the manual. but their are no measuring data for calibrating inside)

thanks and greetz,
marcel
Old 21st February 2013
  #2
Gear Maniac
 

@marcel

I Know this is an old thread, but
Did you find a diagram?
Just got a CL1s and am now looking for the same thing + a manual

/Z
Old 17th May 2016
  #3
If anyone ever needs them, I have all the schematics, manual for the Groovetubes CL1-S. Limited info as it never went into full production, but happy to send what I have.

My own unit (which was overhauled by GrooveTubes themselves about 8 years ago) has started distorting and showing gain fluctuations. Repacling the tubes has unfortunately not fixed the issue.

Does anyone know anyone who knows this unit and is equipped to service it? Preferably UK or Europe (I heard there was a guy in France who knows the CL1s).

Thanks for any help.

Jules
Old 1st June 2016
  #4
Here for the gear
Can I get a copy of the service manual?
Old 2nd June 2016
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Hi
There is no 'calibration' for the valves. If one is noisy or causes excess distortion they need to be exchanged for new ones, that is all that is necessary for this part. Unless you have a distortion analyser there is relatively little that you can do with the valve audio path. The solid state sidechain that handles the actual compression, driving the opto element CAN be calibrated but is unlikely to ever need it unless something major has been changed, such as the opto element itself.
Matt S
Old 7th June 2016
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proaudioservice View Post
Can I get a copy of the service manual?
No service manual as such, but I have a few schematics etc. Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send it over. Matt can tell you if any of the stuff I have is at all helpful - he's servicing mine at the moment ...

Jules
Old 18th August 2017
  #7
Here for the gear
CL1S Schematics

Now this thread is REALLY old. Does anyone still have the schematics for the CL1S?

I need repair guy too, in US, preferably California.


Franklin
Old 30th January 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
 
jomo1234's Avatar
 

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but if anyone is still looking for the schematics and calibration procedure, PM me and I will send you what I have. I just found the documents on an old hard drive.
Old 4th September 2018
  #9
Gear Nut
 
T-Stag's Avatar
I have a chance to purchase this compressor. Can you guys advice me on what would be a suitable price range and also, what kind of compressor this is? Some examples/comparisons on units such as La2a, La3, 1176?

Thanks!
Erkka
Old 4th September 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Crash's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Stag View Post
I have a chance to purchase this compressor. Can you guys advice me on what would be a suitable price range and also, what kind of compressor this is? Some examples/comparisons on units such as La2a, La3, 1176?

Thanks!
Erkka
I bought one of these a few years back. I contacted Aspen before I bought it to see what the skinny was on them and he told me he thought they built about 50 units total and then canned the project. I paid $1K US for mine, though it is difficult to price since there are not many of them around. It runs hot as an oven and is an awesome sounding comp though a bit quirky with settings. Things sound bigger to me once they have been treated with its magic and I still use mine on many things, vocals, bass, etc. I also have a Glory Comp that I like a lot for vocal duties. I scrounged up 6 pages of schematics for the CL1s from somewhere, maybe Aspen.... that I have around somewhere.

Aspen said that Paul Morte at PMTS Orange California is the Groove Tubes guy to get all things GT serviced as I recall.

I would not say it is LA2Aish or 1176ish. It is sort of it's own thing in my opinion. I personally find the thing hard to look at with all the chrome on the face, in fact the bulb on VU channel 2 burned out and I am considering removing the one from channel 1 as well as it makes seeing the meter easier for me.

If I had to do it over, I would buy another in a heartbeat.
Attached Thumbnails
Diagram - Groove Tubes CL1s Compressor/Limiter ...-gt-cl1s.jpg  

Last edited by Crash; 5th September 2018 at 12:38 AM..
Old 19th September 2018
  #11
Gear Nut
 
T-Stag's Avatar
Thanks for this!!!
Old 4th April 2019
  #12
Here for the gear
Im not sure how to PM on Gearslutz, but I need the Schematics and any other manuals you have for the Groove Tubes CL1S Compressor Schematics, etc

Also, I had it serviced by a friend, but it came back not working. This may just be a fuse issue and a misunderstanding
as to the state of the unit on my part. Should it be using 2 fuses at a time?

BTW, I have the entire recording signal chain of Groove Tubes gear as it existed at the time the CL1S was new, and I am thinking about selling it.
MP1, EQ1, MD1a, PS2 if you might be interested, let me know.
Old 4th April 2019
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Crash's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyblue View Post
Im not sure how to PM on Gearslutz, but I need the Schematics and any other manuals you have for the Groove Tubes CL1S Compressor Schematics, etc

Also, I had it serviced by a friend, but it came back not working. This may just be a fuse issue and a misunderstanding
as to the state of the unit on my part. Should it be using 2 fuses at a time?

BTW, I have the entire recording signal chain of Groove Tubes gear as it existed at the time the CL1S was new, and I am thinking about selling it.
MP1, EQ1, MD1a, PS2 if you might be interested, let me know.
PM sent
Old 27th January 2020
  #14
Gear Maniac
Cl1s

Can anyone post manual, schem’, internal pics for future users?
Old 27th January 2020
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Crash's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by christube View Post
Can anyone post manual, schem’, internal pics for future users?
PM sent
Old 9th August 2020
  #16
Gear Maniac
 

Any one know what bulb I need to buy to replace the one in the VU meter? One of mine broke / burned out.

Says "lamp201" on circuit board.

Thanks!
Old 10th August 2020
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Crash's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by errorspending View Post
Any one know what bulb I need to buy to replace the one in the VU meter? One of mine broke / burned out.

Says "lamp201" on circuit board.

Thanks!
I have a burned bulb in channel 2 of my unit. I found the brightness of the bulbs so irritating that I wanted to go into the first channel and remove that bulb. I cracked the unit open and it does not look like an easy proposition as the VU meter is an enclosed unit within the compressor. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle. Maybe you will have better luck if you decide to tackle this, or you could give us pointers if you get into it. Good luck.
Old 10th August 2020
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

Oh it's super easy to remove the bulb. Actually it's very easy to break it.

Just remove the two screws holding the VU meter in place and the small circuit board underneath comes loose from the vu meter plastic housing above it.

The circuit board only has the lamp on it and two wires attached. So if you're not careful to move the plastic and the tiny board underneath at the same time, the lamp will break off anyways, problem solved

(this happened to me...after the lamp had already stopped working)
Old 10th August 2020
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Crash's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by errorspending View Post
Oh it's super easy to remove the bulb. Actually it's very easy to break it.

Just remove the two screws holding the VU meter in place and the small circuit board underneath comes loose from the vu meter plastic housing above it.

The circuit board only has the lamp on it and two wires attached. So if you're not careful to move the plastic and the tiny board underneath at the same time, the lamp will break off anyways, problem solved

(this happened to me...after the lamp had already stopped working)
I think I'll just wait for it to die a natural death. Thanks for the info.
Old 13th August 2020
  #20
Lives for gear
 
gyraf's Avatar
 

Webfinds 2018: some documentation on the GrooveTubes CL1 Optical compressor.

attached, 3x .pdf

/Jakob E.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CL1-CALIBRATE.pdf (647.6 KB, 12 views) File Type: pdf CL1-MAIN_ADJUSTMENT.pdf (52.2 KB, 10 views) File Type: pdf CL1-REPAIR.pdf (376.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 14th August 2020
  #21
Gear Maniac
 

Anyone know a good replacement for this tiny bulb?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8h6qksgtk..._4538.jpg?dl=0
Old 14th August 2020
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Crash's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by errorspending View Post
Anyone know a good replacement for this tiny bulb?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8h6qksgtk..._4538.jpg?dl=0
Holy crap, that is tiny. Last time I bought a VU bulb I got it at digikey most likely. If you can gleen the specs off of the schematics, maybe you will get lucky.
Old 14th August 2020
  #23
Gear Maniac
 

Yeah it's super tiny. I couldn't find anything on the schematics other than pointing to "VU". And the parts list I have doesn't list any bulbs. I think it may only be for the power supply
Old 14th August 2020
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Crash's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by errorspending View Post
Yeah it's super tiny. I couldn't find anything on the schematics other than pointing to "VU". And the parts list I have doesn't list any bulbs. I think it may only be for the power supply
Maybe reach out to Paul Morte at PMTS in Orange California. Aspen told me he was "the" service guy for GT stuff back when I researched this unit. Google him and you can find a contact number.
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump