The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Geekslutz self study
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Question Geekslutz self study

Hey all, I've been reading this forum for about a month now, lots of interesting posts.

I will admit however that about 70 percent of what I read is gibberish to me. I really want to make that change so I've decided to start taking notes, looking up terms I dont know, etc.

I'm interested in building recording gizmos (mic panel, speaker attenuator) and fixing mixers and microphones,

Can anyone recommend some entry level projects or repair type topics? I dont want to get in way over my head and get frustrated. My goal is to be able to do audio repairs and build things.

Sorry for the long post. I know how to solder but my electronic knowledge is lacking.

Thanks in advance for any advice and for all the wealth of information on here!!
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Nut

Hi Eric,

i think best way for learning about electronics is building gear. You start by building simple power supplies, guitar effects and simple things like this. There is also very nice DI with transformer, check it out, it's quite simple to build on veroboard:
Bo Hansén
Prodigy Pro forum is very good resource of knowledge, check it.

Good luck!

Miha
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Hi
If you really are 'new' I would suggest projects that use a bought in 'wall wart' rather than dealing with mains wiring otherwise your ambitions may be thwarted by death!
If you are really wanting to 'play' with the mains electronics construction magazines (Elektor in Europe) have a page on regulations and how to do it safely. Also bear in mind you may subject others to dangerous gear if you do not take necessary precautions.
Matt S
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear