The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Converting Mixer from Global to Individual Channel Phantom Power
Old 17th November 2009
Deleted User
Question Converting Mixer from Global to Individual Channel Phantom Power

So I just bought an Audio-Technica console on eBay which has a single switch to apply Phantom Power to all channels. Is it possible to modify the mixer so that each channel has it's own switch? I don't know much about electronics but the bass player for my band is. He is concerned about channel isolation and whatnot. I just wanted to see if anyone had done this sort of thing before and could offer some advice. Thanks a bunch. Dan.
Old 17th November 2009
Lives for gear

It is not a performance issue but mainly economics and panel real estate.

You will find a common +48V line going to all the channels. You can add individual switches toggling between +48V and ground, or perhaps to ground through a 100k if the console is ever used in a hard wire snake split.

One compromise I did in some mixers, was to offer a mix of global for most channels, with a handful of special input channels with individual switches. so you could alternately power up all but a few, or only a few. Individual switches on every channel is a lot of work (and cost) for only limited benefit. IMO.

JR
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear