The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
any 1176 kits out there? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Maniac

any 1176 kits out there?

links!?
Old 16th November 2009
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Nut

Hi Guys,

Yes I currently offer a few great options for 1176 DIY builds. I've been slowly adding parts and building my store for about 2 years now.

I have a few exciting things on the way in the next month.

The first is my new enclosure. Details can be found here:
HairballAudio: 1176 parts (Stereo Link Kits and New Enclosure Details!)

These are currently in production and I should have them in stock in about 4 weeks.

I highly recommend the PCBs designed by MNATS in Australia:
http://mnats.net/

He has spent the last several years skillfully recreating all of the major releases of the 1176 compressor. The revision A (blue stripe), revision D (classic version/Purple MC77 type) and revision F/G (Silverface). They are true to the original design and are a great compliment to the transformers I sell at my shop.

These transformers are recreations of the original parts, carefully recaptured by the talented Ed Anderson who you may know from Purple Audio.

Once my enclosure arrives, I will be offering the option to add revision A, D or F/G PCB's to your order. The PCBs will ship from Australia and will make ordering a little easier.

If you're looking to get started right away you can currently purchase his PCBs by following the instructions here:
New Design 1176 Boards - All Boards in Stock!

My kit includes all of the hard to find parts to create your own compressor. All you'll need to do is order some resistors, caps and a few items from Mouser, Digikey or your favorite electronics supply store.. There are many list for these parts online, but I can provide you with a list depending on the revision you purchase.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball Audio View Post
Hi Guys,

Yes I currently offer a few great options for 1176 DIY builds. I've been slowly adding parts and building my store for about 2 years now.

I have a few exciting things on the way in the next month.

The first is my new enclosure. Details can be found here:
HairballAudio: 1176 parts (Stereo Link Kits and New Enclosure Details!)

These are currently in production and I should have them in stock in about 4 weeks.

I highly recommend the PCBs designed by MNATS in Australia:
http://mnats.net/

He has spent the last several years skillfully recreating all of the major releases of the 1176 compressor. The revision A (blue stripe), revision D (classic version/Purple MC77 type) and revision F/G (Silverface). They are true to the original design and are a great compliment to the transformers I sell at my shop.

These transformers are recreations of the original parts, carefully recaptured by the talented Ed Anderson who you may know from Purple Audio.

Once my enclosure arrives, I will be offering the option to add revision A, D or F/G PCB's to your order. The PCBs will ship from Australia and will make ordering a little easier.

If you're looking to get started right away you can currently purchase his PCBs by following the instructions here:
New Design 1176 Boards - All Boards in Stock!

My kit includes all of the hard to find parts to create your own compressor. All you'll need to do is order some resistors, caps and a few items from Mouser, Digikey or your favorite electronics supply store.. There are many list for these parts online, but I can provide you with a list depending on the revision you purchase.

Thanks,

Mike
PMed you!
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Head

OH SNAP!!!

WANT!!!
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Addict

Wow! I'm starting a GSSL next week...when I finish it you will be hearing from me!
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearldrum944 View Post
Wow! I'm starting a GSSL next week...when I finish it you will be hearing from me!
The GSSL is a great build! You'll be happy with it I bet.

Feel free to ask any questions.

I'll have a confirmed delivery date for the enclosures on my site early this week.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

+1 on Hairball's stuff. Mike's a great guy too!
I built this stereo rev G with two of Hairballs' Rev G kits and mnats rev F pcb's.
Mike, thanks again!
Top Notch!

Also built this "Red Stripe" with Hairball's Rev A kit and mnats blue stripe pcb.

This one was put up against a real vintage blue stripe. The only discernable difference was a higher noise floor on the vintage unit!
Hairball and mnats are the real frikin deal!
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Nut

Those builds look awesome!

The blue stripes are a very cool sounding compressor.

To clarify, since a few of you had questions.

Currently you would purchase your PCB's through MNATs (link above). Once you pick the revision you like, you can purchase the corresponding kit through my store. The main difference is with the output. The A-E units had a class A output and use a special gapped output with a feedback winding.

The revision A and A/B is a very unique version where the pre and line amp stages used a FET as the first active element. The design is based on the popular UREI 1108.

B-E (revision D) is the model people are most familer with. It's the version Purple used as the inpiration for their awesome MC76/77.

The F has a class A input with a A/B output, and the G has an IC input and A/B output.

Currently with these boards and my kits you will need to purchase an enclosure and the remaining components. These components are simply the resistors, diodes, capacitors, transistors, XLR and IEC (power) conectors and pots. I have lists available. These parts would probably cost around $60.

In about 4 weeks I will have my enclosures. I should have an exact date from the metal shop today or tomorrow. I'll post that on my site. At that time you will be able to order a kit with enclosure and place your MNATS PCB order through my site if you are buying a kit. All you will have left is a small parts order as mentioned above.

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 16th November 2009
Old 3rd January 2010
Gear Nut

Hi All,

My enclosures are now in sock!
Hairball Audio Enclosures

You also now have the option to add an MNATS PCB to your order if you are purchasing a kit.

Please visit the "kit" section of Hairball Audio here:
Hairball Audio

In the next week I will be posting materials lists with manufacture part numbers for the remaining items you need (resistors, capacitors..). There are a number of lists out there if you do a search. The remaining parts are about $50 USD depending on location.

There are also lists on the MNATS site.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Those enclosures look really good!! I wish I hadn't seen 'em...
Old 3rd January 2010
Gear Maniac

I'm thinking about grabbing two sets of 1176 boards and parts, but I can't seem to find any decent description or examples online of the sound difference between the different types of 1176s.

Any thoughts?
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

There needs to be a "Blue Stripe" kit. I'd probably buy one.
Old 3rd January 2010
Gear Addict

Cool, any idea about a dual-1176 kit/enclosure?
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear

I' m going to buy two in a near future!
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear

www.DIY-RACKED.com • Index page

He has dual 1176 enclosures.
Old 4th January 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm thinking about grabbing two sets of 1176 boards and parts, but I can't seem to find any decent description or examples online of the sound difference between the different types of 1176s.
Any thoughts?
I'd have to look around.

I hate describing sound, but here are some points I hope will help.

Rev A: The first version. Has a silver faceplate with a blue stripe over the meter. It uses a class A in and out. The major difference between the A and D is that the A uses a FET as the first active element in the amp sections. That is what gives it a very distinctive sound. The preamp section is almost identical to the 1108 mic pre.

Rev D: The blackface model. Probably the most widely used. The Purple Audio MC76/77 and current UA reissue are based on this model. Class A in and out.

Rev F: Typically was an all silverface. Class A in and A/B "pushpull" out. Typically pretty clean compared to the A and D.

Rev G: Had the silverface with the blue "UREI" plate on the right. Same as the F but with a IC and pot input. Should be clean sounding.

Quote:
There needs to be a "Blue Stripe" kit. I'd probably buy one.
I do have a kit, it's the rev A/D kit. Just order a rev A PCB. If you're looking for a "blue stripe" enclosure I will have them in about 8-10 weeks.

Quote:
Cool, any idea about a dual-1176 kit/enclosure?
Yes! In the summer.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 4th January 2010
Gear Nut

Here is part of an article that might help out a little more.

It's from Fletcher's "Guide To Vintage Gear".

A Reader's Guide to Vintage (...er, Old) Gear by Fletcher

-------------------
Universal Audio also built a tube compressor known as the UA 175 (175b), which with added control became the UA 176. UREI came out with a solid-state version of these and called it the 1176. The earliest models were silver-faced with a blue stripe around the meter. They featured push-button ratio selection 4:1, 8:1, 10:1, 20:1, as well as attack and release controls. These blue-stripe ones are still in favor with many well-respected engineers. Perhaps the best use I have heard lately of these units is by Ray Kennedy (Room and Board, Nashville), who recorded the Steve Earle & The Dukes' I Feel Alright album. I ran into Steve when he was playing in Boston, and he joked that they almost called the album 1176.

The original blue stripes were replaced by the black-face 1176 LN. LN allegedly stands for low noise; I think it stands for less noise. This unit has quadrupled in price in the past two years. It's a great box with a unique, very present character to the sound. It's very easy to use, and it's a no-brainer to see why the unit has soared in popularity.

Like its predecessor, it has four ratio buttons. Mixer Michael Brauer (I'm sure he's going to put a contract out on me for sharing this information) told me about pushing in all four buttons simultaneously. Wow! It's the most aggressive sound I have ever heard from any piece, any time, anywhere. It's so cool, you easily want to overuse use the effect, though I strongly caution against it. If you are brave enough to try the four-button trick, do not look at the meter without a healthy dose of Dramamine. It ain't a pretty sight. There were about four incarnations of the black face, but I'm not clear on the differences. I have found that the lower serial number models seem thicker in tone, while later serial numbers are a bit brighter and faster-sounding.

On the 1176 LN silver face, the bean counters made them take out the input transformer (my conjecture), and the unit never had the same rich tone. The four-button trick doesn't work as well, either. It's still better than most new limiters on the market today, but not as cool as the black face. UREI made a similar error in judgment with the LA-4, although I don't find the silver LA-4 to be as bad as the silver 1176 LN. When it comes to UREI compressor/limiters, black is beautiful!
------------------

I think he's a little tough on the silverface. The "F" silverface does have an input transformer, the "G" does not. I think he is correct in saying the input was removed for penny pinching reasons.

Mike
Hairball Audio, LLC
Old 4th January 2010
Gear Maniac

^^^Thanks Hairball!

I was under the impression that the blue stripe was more present. That's good. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

I'll be keeping an eye out for those boards being in stock.
Old 4th January 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by private_stock View Post
^^^Thanks Hairball!

I was under the impression that the blue stripe was more present. That's good. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

I'll be keeping an eye out for those boards being in stock.
Hi,

The blue stripe boards are in stock now. They are the "Revision A". To build a "Rev A/Blue Stripe" you would go to the kit secion:

Hairball Audio

And select the "A/D Kit" with or without enclosure. Then at the botttom of the product page add the "Revision A" PCB. The Blue Stripe used the same transformers as the revision D.

In about 10 weeks I will have the actual blue stripe style panel for the enclosures. So if you build one now you would use the blackface panel.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 4th January 2010
Gear Maniac

Ooo, the blue stripe front panel would be worth waiting for. Would there be any (significant) price difference if one were to order an enclosure separately?

Meaning, if I would order the guts soon and order the enclosure when it becomes available?

Thanks again!
Old 4th January 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by private_stock View Post
Ooo, the blue stripe front panel would be worth waiting for. Would there be any (significant) price difference if one were to order an enclosure separately?

Meaning, if I would order the guts soon and order the enclosure when it becomes available?

Thanks again!
You save $10 by getting the enclosure with the kit. Maybe a few bucks on shipping.

Although if you have the time now it can be nice to take your time stuffing the board while you wait on the enclosure.

Mike
Old 4th January 2010
Gear Addict

What are recommended in terms of resistors and capacitors?
Old 4th January 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcha View Post
What are recommended in terms of resistors and capacitors?
I'll have a recommended Bill of Materials up for each version in about a week.

Here is a good guide for the D:
DIY info: building 1176 Rev. D

This is a few years old (before my shop) so my parts aren't listed on here. You can pretty much ignore "items from other suppliers" as that stuff now comes with my kit.

I'll post in about a week when I have my BOM's done.

Mike
Old 4th January 2010
Gear Addict

I presume that (at least in some stages of the circuit) that different types of caps and resistors will produce different sonic results. Would there be any advantage to using, say, all carbon comp resistors, or paper-in-oil over polystyrene (or whatever)? Thanks.
Old 5th January 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcha View Post
I presume that (at least in some stages of the circuit) that different types of caps and resistors will produce different sonic results. Would there be any advantage to using, say, all carbon comp resistors, or paper-in-oil over polystyrene (or whatever)? Thanks.
Caps for sure and I think the Nimble Switch BOM uses pretty high quality stuff (Wima's and Panasonic FC series). If you go to the Purple Audio MC76 discontinued kit info page you can see the parts they used.

http://www.purpleaudio.com/pdflib/DIYMC76v44.pdf

As far a sonic differences between caps I don't have the ears to tell you. Certainly he parts in both lists are well respected.

There is a lot on the web about the sonic differences in caps and resistors, some of it crap some of it good.

For resistors I think the accuracy (1%) and longevity of modern metal film is hard to beat.

Mike
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

Hairball, will your " N word" transformers work with the EZ1290 boards? Any idea on price and release date? Thanks for any answer.
Old 5th January 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Hairball, will your " N word" transformers work with the EZ1290 boards? Any idea on price and release date? Thanks for any answer.
Yes they should.

I hope to announce a release date very soon. I know these (outputs) have been in the works for a while now...but trust me, they are very close

Inputs will be a little while longer but will be well worth the wait.

Mike
Old 5th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball Audio View Post
In about 10 weeks I will have the actual blue stripe style panel for the enclosures.
Do you have any pictures of what they will look like? I know what the original looks like, just curious about yours in particular since I assume it won't be a direct copy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search